Premed 101 Forums

sure way to practice in canada

Alright,

Say I apply to American Med school and get accepted. What is the process that leads me to practice medicine (something like surgery, ER physician, neurologist) in Canada? or would I be doomed to practice family medicine if I could come back?

Cheers

Alright,

Say I apply to American Med school and get accepted. What is the process that leads me to practice medicine (something like surgery, ER physician, neurologist) in Canada? or would I be doomed to practice family medicine if I could come back?

Cheers

Your chances depend on what specialty you are going for, how well you do on ur electives at the program you want to match.

Depends on what type of surgery, etc.

You are not doomed to practice family medicine, but at the same time family medicine is probably easier than say Optho or ENT in terms of matching.

so how does it work?

• after 2nd year of med school in the states...I apply to electives and what not in canada? -- I still would have to write the canadian licensing exam tho correct?
  • is it also possible to do all my electives and fellowships w/e in the states then once im declared a surgeon or whatever in america I come back to canada and practice in a hospital? -- that would mean I would have to write my licensing exams correct?

so how does it work?

• after 2nd year of med school in the states...I apply to electives and what not in canada? -- I still would have to write the canadian licensing exam tho correct?
  • is it also possible to do all my electives and fellowships w/e in the states then once im declared a surgeon or whatever in america I come back to canada and practice in a hospital? -- that would mean I would have to write my licensing exams correct?

I believe that you can write each exam while completing you MD in the US while that knowledge is still fresh, and being Canadian (I assume you are) would be an asset. As for the electives, I have no clue.

If one were to write both licensing exams, and decide to do a residency in the US over Canada, how difficult would it be to come back to Canada to practice (assuming residency not in family)?

I've looked around and couldn't find much on the forum.

From what I have heard, not that bad, as long as you are willing to do extra years of residency to compensate for it. I think for General internal medicine, you need an extra year because its 4 years in canada vs the 3 years in the States. I "think" the same extends for Rad Onc (4 vs 5 in US and Canada respectively).

Its not actually doing an "extra" year in the common sense of the word because all you are doing is investigating the same amount of time as your canadian counterpart.

If I am not mistaken, you are excempted from the MCCQE because you have done your USMLE's, however you still have to take the licensing exam that Canadian med grads have to take. This is what I've picked up from SDN, but im not 100% on the topic. http://www.sdn.net and go to the canada forums for more info, i think theres actually a program director there available for questions.

thats IMG canadian, thats not what US grads are. Not everything that is said applies.

- USMLE's get us except from some of those exams

- we can do fellowship years/chief resident status years to compensate for residency differences.

- H1B, as aPD said, are not as hard as the OP makes it out to be

Archived