Premed 101 Forums

Applying in 3rd year

If I apply to Queens as a 3rd year student (with two years of marks) how do they offer interviews if you have one year 3.88 and the average with the other below the last 2 years cut off? Would they grant an interview like UWO with one year above the cutoff?

thanks

Nope...you have to have 2yrs of gpa above their cutoffs unlike Western where having one yr above cutoff is sufficient for conditional offer.
This is incorrect: The GPA cutoffs are based on the average of all your courses in undergrad, with no stipulations regarding year-to-year averages like Western. If you don't make the cutoff based on all of your courses, then the GPA of your courses in the last two years is calculated.

So, human instinct, it doesn't matter what your GPA is from year-to-year, but what the GPA of all your courses is.

and this cGPA has historically been around 3.66 correct?

We don't know the cut-off for September 2008, since it wasn't posted. However, for the two years prior, the cut-off for overall GPA was 3.68, and the cut-off for the last two year GPA was 3.78.

For September 2008, I know of someone who got an interview with an overall GPA of below what the cut-off would have been, and a GPA of 3.76 for the last two years. We don't know, however, if the GPA cut-offs decreased, or the split between the two calculations decreased.

Elaine

thanks for the replies guys!

So if I applied as a third year (only 2 years marks available) I could still use their cGPA cut-off correct?; aka, would I have to use my last two years marks (I would only have two) since I wouldn't have 4 years cumulative GPA? Im probably overly paranoid here, but my two years gpa will probably be around 3.70ish (due to a slightly dismal 2nd year) and as a result I would able to meet the cGPA requirement, but not the last two years.

thanks for the replies guys!

So if I applied as a third year (only 2 years marks available) I could still use their cGPA cut-off correct?; aka, would I have to use my last two years marks (I would only have two) since I wouldn't have 4 years cumulative GPA? Im probably overly paranoid here, but my two years gpa will probably be around 3.70ish (due to a slightly dismal 2nd year) and as a result I would able to meet the cGPA requirement, but not the last two years.

Yes. Queen's calculates your overall GPA first. Only if you don't meet that do they calculate your most recent 2-year GPA.

We really don't know what the cut-offs were this year, or even if there were two different cut-offs. (The 0.1 difference between overall & most recent 2 year GPAs was only established a few years ago.) However, previous cut-offs are available in one or two older threads in this forum and in the accreditation documents on the Queen's website.

Best wishes to you!

Elaine

post interveiew... marks don't get looked anymore right?

Post-interview, your GPA and MCAT no longer count. All applicants who make it to the interview are on equal footing, with the final score being comprised of your interview and supplemental application including references.

Elaine

They also state that they look at some cases individually where students are below GPA cut-off. I don't know what special circumstances would qualify a student for this, but it's worth a shot.

I believe it's only for grad students. You still have to make the MCAT cut-off, though.

I believe it's only for grad students. You still have to make the MCAT cut-off, though.
That's right. Pretty much, as a graduate student, if you make the MCAT cutoff, you will be granted an interview.

Also, here are the historical MCAT and GPA cutoffs from previous years:

GPA Cutoffs

(Year, Cumulative GPA, Last Two Years GPA)

2000, 3.56, same

2001, 3.57, same

2002, 3.57, same

2003, 3.59, same

2004, 3.62, same

2005, 3.66, same

2006, 3.68, 3.78

2007, 3.68, 3.78

MCAT Cutoffs

(Year, PS, VR, BS, WS, Sum)

2002, 9, 10, 9, N, 30

2003, 9, 10, 9, N, 30

2004, 9, 9, 9, N, 32

2005, 9, 9, 9, O, 32

2006, 9, 10, 9, O, 32

2007, 10, 10, 10, P, 30

wow.... makes me wish I was applying way back...

I think however it's suspected that best 2 years went down 3.76 and the mcat somewhere around a 9,9,9 or slightly higher with an R in writing for 2008.

And crossing my fingers as I say this, hopefully as Ontario medical applicants we have seen the peak of competitiveness from this double cohort business that will either level out or even drop a few decimal points in GPA....

As I wrote this I'm beginning to wonder if the trend of schools requiring a 4 year degree to be completed with a few exceptions is a result of high school graduates now being grade 12's?

Now I can say I didn't apply to medical school until my 6th year of undergraduate due to a protest in government policy resulting in over competitiveness for graduate school which demeans student relationships... (Versus my actually reason of a terrible GPA that needed to be boosted lol)

We don't know the cut-off for September 2008, since it wasn't posted. However, for the two years prior, the cut-off for overall GPA was 3.68, and the cut-off for the last two year GPA was 3.78.

Elaine

Does that mean that as an applicant I will be considered for interviews only when my cGPA is above the cutoff despite a 3.8+ GPA in my last 2 years? What I mean to ask is whether both requirements must be met or either one will suffice for getting interviews.

Thanks

Archived