Premed 101 Forums

Ethical question about a reference letter

deli

Doing reference letters this way both saves the referee time and allows you to point out the areas of strength that they otherwise might not have known that you wanted them to emphasize.

Since you do not see the final copy and the referee can change your draft any way they like to reflect their true opinion of you, I see this as ethically similar to supplying one's referee with a detailed personal letter describing your achievements and what you would like them to talk about.

In reply to the above poster: not necessarily a sad thing - it takes much time and thought to compose a good letter and the alternative might be a cookie cutter letter from a busy person. The more examples and detail (which people writing their own letters should try to supply), the stronger the letter.

heya! I think this is actually sort of common, especially if you have a really busy supervisor. Mine asked me to do the same thing, except I wasn't really comfortable writing about myself, so I struck a deal between my PI, my lab manager and a lab tech where my lab manager and lab tech would draft it, then my PI would proof and sign it.

Maybe that's something you can look into as well (trying to get a surrogate writer)? Perhaps someone less busy at your organization who also knows you and your supervisor well?

I hope that helps you :)

Archived