Premed 101 Forums

*St. Kitts Medical School

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Kenneth M. Halpin

Date:***2/4/2001 4:06 pm*PST

I represent a medical school Windsor Medical University located in St. Kitts. we are presently accepting students from the U.S and Canada for our next classes. Interested students should contact me. At my e-mail or phone 201-858-6661 or 732-765-9097.

Thank You

Kenneth M. Halpin MD.

drhalpin@aol.com

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*JN

Date:***2/4/2001 4:38 pm*PST

Hi,

I looked for your email but had a hard time to find it. Sorry to say, but I have had no experience in being recruited over the internet for medical school. I am interested in hearing more. How long has your medical school been up and running? I realize it is near Antigua; are you not receiving many applications from students in the area?

My email address is pinetree99@hotmail.com

Jaimie

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***2/11/2001 9:06 pm*PST

Hi there,

I contemplated deleting this posting, as I don't really think my web-site should be used to recruit students. However, I decided to leave it up, as it brings up the interesting point of attending a foreign medical school.

One thing for all us Canucks out here: If you ever want to complete residency training in Canada, then stay here for medical school as well. The problem with graduating from a foreign meical school as an international medical graduate (IMG), is that you are heavily discriminated against should you try to obtain a residency training position in Canada.

Everyone should take a look at http://www.carms.ca

This is the Canadian Residency Matching Service, and it is the service that matches medical school graduates with post-graduate residency training in every specialty available in Canada, including: Family Practice, Surgery, Pediatrics, Emergency Med, etc...

There are two rounds of "matches" that occur. In the first round, every Canadian medical school graduate is eligible. Therefore, everyone in the first round can theoretically match into any program in Canada. After this round is over, a second round of matches occurs.

In this second round, any Canadian medical school graduates that did not match into a program in the first round, and IMG's, are looking to match into any unfilled programs. Therefore, as an IMG, you can only ever get the scraps and remainders of whatever the Canadian graduates didn't pick.

As a result, the only spots that still tend to be available are positions such as Pathology, Family Practice in less appealing urban areas, or perhaps an Internal Medicine spot or two. Not good if you've always wanted to be a surgeon, or an Emerg doc.

Ian

Can, MS2

Archived