Premed 101 Forums

US grads in Carms

You know whats worse than analyzing statistics? Analyzing ones that don't give you a complete picture.

Here we go:

http://carms.ca/pdfs/2008R1_MatchResults/22Match%20Results%20by%20First%20and%20Lower%20Ranked%20Program%20Choices%20by%20Medical%20School_en.pdf

This might be the worst year for US grads in Carms, but we dont know the schools they came from, whether or not they did any electives, and other key points.

I'm with you on that one. It seems like the 7 unmatched US grads never participated in the second iteration.

Carms is always first, so I think the 7 unmatched got into the specialties they wanted in the US and really weren't desperate for the "leftovers"

Very interesting data.

Some interesting notes:

UofM and UofA seems to have done miserably in the CaRMS match! I don't know, maybe a lot of the class was gunning for opth and derm, but a 54% 1st choice match isn't so hot compared to other schools.

994 international went unmatched. Might give pause to individuals thinking of going to non-LCME accredited medical schools.

US grads, 33%. I don't know the order of the matches, but perhaps Canadian match was first and they ranked only uber-competitive programs only for the CaRMs match? More interesting is: how many Canadian US grads opted to stay in the US for residency?

Definitely incomplete data that should be approached cautiously!

I have actually emailed Carms to see if they provide with more detailed data, specialties, schools....But no reply yet. There are definitely more than 18 Canadians studying in the states.

Here's another look:

http://carms.ca/pdfs/2008R1_MatchResults/1Applicant%20Pool%20by%20Medical%20School_en.pdf

Some people withdrew before the match.

As Alastriss said Carms is always before and it would be a huge risk if one ends up ranking programs they are not really interested in because once you match you are bound by a contract and you can no longer withdraw.

Personally my decision on coming back to Canada will basically decided by my board scores, if they are high I don't think I will even bother applying to carms unless I wanted to do something in primary care, as I think that primary care is a much more viable option in Canada compared to the states.

Just as everything else in life, nothing is guaranteed, there are even canadian grads who go unmatched...

Very interesting data.

Some interesting notes:

UofM and UofA seems to have done miserably in the CaRMS match! I don't know, maybe a lot of the class was gunning for opth and derm, but a 54% 1st choice match isn't so hot compared to other schools.

Those stats are for the percentage matching to their first ranked program, not discipline. Neither school fares that poorly when you look at the percentage matching to first choice discipline (in fact, Manitoba is better than average).

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2008R1_MatchResults/13Canadian%20Graduates%20Match%20Results%20by%20Choice%20Discipline%20and%20Medical%20School_en.pdf

Those stats are for the percentage matching to their first ranked program, not discipline. Neither school fares that poorly when you look at the percentage matching to first choice discipline (in fact, Manitoba is better than average).

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2008R1_MatchResults/13Canadian%20Graduates%20Match%20Results%20by%20Choice%20Discipline%20and%20Medical%20School_en.pdf

Thanks for clearing that up Lactic Folly

I have actually emailed Carms to see if they provide with more detailed data, specialties, schools....But no reply yet. There are definitely more than 18 Canadians studying in the states.

Here's another look:

http://carms.ca/pdfs/2008R1_MatchResults/1Applicant%20Pool%20by%20Medical%20School_en.pdf

Some people withdrew before the match.

As Alastriss said Carms is always before and it would be a huge risk if one ends up ranking programs they are not really interested in because once you match you are bound by a contract and you can no longer withdraw.

Personally my decision on coming back to Canada will basically decided by my board scores, if they are high I don't think I will even bother applying to carms unless I wanted to do something in primary care, as I think that primary care is a much more viable option in Canada compared to the states.

Just as everything else in life, nothing is guaranteed, there are even canadian grads who go unmatched...

Just for clarification, when you say "huge risk" do you mean a huge risk of matching into a canadian residency youre not interested in?

So, if you match into carms somewhere can you just withdraw from the american match system? Or is there a problem of matching with both?

Yeah he means matching into something you don't want. If you match - you can't reject the offer. CaRMs is always before the ERAS. That's good for us, because that way you can see if you match in Canada, and if you don't match there but match in the States, then you just do your residency in the US.

Just for clarification, when you say "huge risk" do you mean a huge risk of matching into a canadian residency youre not interested in?

So, if you match into carms somewhere can you just withdraw from the american match system? Or is there a problem of matching with both?

Once you match in carms, you are automatically withdrawn from ERAS, you won't have any say in this.

So do not rank a program you even have doubts about. As a US graduate (with decent board scores) your chances should be good in matching into something competitive.

hippie..keep us posted about what the CaRMs lady says about the positions. I feel that they will be mainly competitive specialties - since all 7 withdrew I think that they decided to go for competitive specialties in Canada and in the US, and then withdrew from CaRMs when they had no luck. One thing is for sure - it didn't seem like they were desperate. Maybe none of them even ranked anything beyond 4 programs - something you don't see in the IMG stream

• 2 weeks later...

Hey just I'd post this here:

Got an e-mail back from CaRMs and they aren't able to commit to the resources needed to figure out which specialties the US grads matched into. Interesting thing tho - I don't think they were desperate. I feel that they ranked competitive programs/programs that they really wanted because no one seemed to match into anything after 4th choice. If you look at IMGs, you will see people matching very deep into their list - possible because they want something. The fact that the unmatched US grads withdrew and didn't participate in the second match probably meant that they matched in the US and thus are sticking stateside.

My 2 cents.

Archived