Premed 101 Forums

GPA and Admissions

I'm applying this summer and everyones GPA and MCATs here are so amazing! It makes me so worried! I'm an Alberta resident going to UWO for undergrad and my pre-req average is 3.73 (orgochem killed me!) and my overall average of the last 3 years was 3.81. My MCAT wasn't stellar, except for my writing: 10B, 11P, 10V, S.

Does UofA take your best 3/4 even if you're applying after you've finished your 3rd year? Or does that only apply for those who applying after they've finished 4yrs?

My EC's are pretty good though I think. I actually really enjoy volunteering and I don't just do it for the med application, so I've got everything from hospital work, research, club exec to even grooming cats =) lol But looking at these marks, i'm just afraid i'll get rejected straight out because my GPAs aren't high enough.

• 3 months later...

Hi, sorry to bring up a 3 month old thread, but what was the answer to this question?

I emailed the U of A coordinator about it, and got some irrelevant information about graduate students.

Just to rephrase, do they still take of a lowest year GPA if you apply during 4th year studies(precisely during fall semester)?

Also, would I be considered a 4th year applicant or 3rd year applicant?

I'm applying this summer and everyones GPA and MCATs here are so amazing! It makes me so worried! I'm an Alberta resident going to UWO for undergrad and my pre-req average is 3.73 (orgochem killed me!) and my overall average of the last 3 years was 3.81. My MCAT wasn't stellar, except for my writing: 10B, 11P, 10V, S.

Does UofA take your best 3/4 even if you're applying after you've finished your 3rd year? Or does that only apply for those who applying after they've finished 4yrs?

My EC's are pretty good though I think. I actually really enjoy volunteering and I don't just do it for the med application, so I've got everything from hospital work, research, club exec to even grooming cats =) lol But looking at these marks, i'm just afraid i'll get rejected straight out because my GPAs aren't high enough.

People who are IP have gotten in with GPAs as low as 3.4, and they're not as rare as you think.

People who are IP have gotten in with GPAs as low as 3.4, and they're not as rare as you think.

IP with a 3.61/3.66 here, got flat-out rejected even though EVERYTHING else in my app (including interview) was at or above the admitted average. Made me wonder why they even interviewed me in the first place - someone on here PMed me and said they scored something like 4 points less than I did on the interview, but got waitlisted with a GPA of just around 3.7 (our other stats were pretty much identical).

Let me get this straight. I am applying this year, and I have just begun my fourth and final year of my degree this September. From this discussion it sounds like they will be dropping my lowest year's GPA. Is that true? I was under the impression that you had to have your degree (ie- finish 4 years) before they would do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

The provisional acceptance for 2/3rd year pool applicants are contingent upon a 3.7 minimum GPA upon availability of the final semester's transcripts.

Not sure if the UGME is becoming more lax with their OOP applicants, but we have 22 out of province students in our class this year.

What do you think they would do with 3rd year applicants who have a downward trend? My first year GPA is 3.99 but I think I will be taking some damage this year (3.75 at the worst I think). My EC's are above average though and I am doing research (continuation from first year NSERC).

22 OOP is in keeping with 15% of places (156 total this year).

try not to worry too much about little details. GPAs tend to drop a bit as courses get more difficult. As for what you do outside the classroom, I understand you have to keep the applications in the back of your mind, but do things from which you have an idea of how you are benefiting as a person, rather than you as an applicant on paper...

this goes for all the "what should I do" type premed questions - don't worry so much about what other people are doing ("above average"). just do what seems right for you, and be able to explain/defend/elaborate on it. besides, you stand out much better when you forge (and understand!) your own path.

/hypocrisy

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just had a question hoping someone could clarify.

From what I've read here I understand that as a fourth year applicant you are entitled to drop your lowest year (but not your most recent). However, I was wondering what is considered the most recent year. I.e. will they drop my 3rd year, which was my lowest year (or is that the most recent)? Or would the final marks for 4th year count as most recent?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, just had a question hoping someone could clarify.

From what I've read here I understand that as a fourth year applicant you are entitled to drop your lowest year (but not your most recent). However, I was wondering what is considered the most recent year. I.e. will they drop my 3rd year, which was my lowest year (or is that the most recent)? Or would the final marks for 4th year count as most recent?

Thanks in advance.

Ummm, I don't know, but I would speculate that your 3rd year is most recent, since your 4th year won't actually be done, and the grades are not going to be counted in the cumulative for it, anyway.

IP with a 3.61/3.66 here, got flat-out rejected even though EVERYTHING else in my app (including interview) was at or above the admitted average. Made me wonder why they even interviewed me in the first place - someone on here PMed me and said they scored something like 4 points less than I did on the interview, but got waitlisted with a GPA of just around 3.7 (our other stats were pretty much identical).
Comapring yourself to another applicant is a pretty arbitrary task... "our other stats were pretty much identical"... what does that mean? What about extra-curriculars? What about your application as a whole? They would not have interviewed you if they knew they were going to reject you based on your GPA.

Comapring yourself to another applicant is a pretty arbitrary task... "our other stats were pretty much identical"... what does that mean? What about extra-curriculars? What about your application as a whole? They would not have interviewed you if they knew they were going to reject you based on your GPA.

U of A sends you a breakdown of your app scores for every section, so yes, it is possible to compare your apps directly through these scores.

So that it should be obvious that you needed to score exceptionally well in all other aspects of your application to get in... are you resentful that they gave you that chance? If you don't think you should've received an interview, why would you apply in the first place?

Archived