Premed 101 Forums

GPA and Admissions

I'm thrilled people find BJ's outrageously hilarious comment amusing, but my question was obviously a rhetorical one... rhetorical questions tend to have obvious answers.

I'm just trying to be real here; nobody applies with a sub-par GPA without knowing they've got to score extremely well in other application sections. And I just think Jochi's frustration for receiving an interview is misguided... no one is trying to be offensive here.

I'm thrilled people find BJ's outrageously hilarious comment amusing, but my question was obviously a rhetorical one... rhetorical questions tend to have obvious answers.

I'm just trying to be real here; nobody applies with a sub-par GPA without knowing they've got to score extremely well in other application sections. And I just think Jochi's frustration for receiving an interview is misguided... no one is trying to be offensive here.

There was no frustration solely for receiving an interview. Read her post again and put it into context - it's trying to figure out how there can be subjectivity in an objective assessment. And the answer is that no one outside of the admissions committee (at any school) really knows.

Read her post again and put it into context - it's trying to figure out how there can be subjectivity in an objective assessment. And the answer is that no one outside of the admissions committee (at any school) really knows.
Thank you, and if you read my original post again you will see that's what I'm trying to point out... that it's impossible to know why one doesn't get in while another does, regardless of whatever numbers you receive from an admissions committee.

There was no frustration solely for receiving an interview. Read her post again and put it into context - it's trying to figure out how there can be subjectivity in an objective assessment. And the answer is that no one outside of the admissions committee (at any school) really knows.

Well, my point was mostly why even have an interview if a 0.05 difference in GPA trumps a good vs bad interview. I mean, no one would be surprised if someone who had a 4.0 and a bad interview got in over someone with a 3.3 and a good interview, but 0.05 is almost negligible - for a 4th year applicant, it might literally be a matter of B+ vs A- in 2 courses. If that determines everything, why even have an interview at all? Of course if I'm invited to an interview, I think I have a reasonable chance, but if it's like 1/10000000, I'd rather not even be invited - it costs time, money, and most importantly, nerves. I was pretty happy with my performance after the interview, so when I received an outright rejection, I was shocked, because I thought I must be completely out of touch with how others perceived my performance. Imagine my surprise 3 weeks later when I receive a letter stating I performed at the ADMITTED average, when I spent all that time thinking I must've been a mumbling idiot in my interview to be rejected flat out.

Hey ... sorry to sidetrack but I just received an answer to the question I had asked here earlier and wanted to share with all:

The most recent year is the current year you are attending. If your

third year is your lowest year then that is the year that will be

dropped.

Diane Baker

MD Admissions Assistant

Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Well, my point was mostly why even have an interview if a 0.05 difference in GPA trumps a good vs bad interview. I mean, no one would be surprised if someone who had a 4.0 and a bad interview got in over someone with a 3.3 and a good interview, but 0.05 is almost negligible - for a 4th year applicant, it might literally be a matter of B+ vs A- in 2 courses. If that determines everything, why even have an interview at all? Of course if I'm invited to an interview, I think I have a reasonable chance, but if it's like 1/10000000, I'd rather not even be invited - it costs time, money, and most importantly, nerves. I was pretty happy with my performance after the interview, so when I received an outright rejection, I was shocked, because I thought I must be completely out of touch with how others perceived my performance. Imagine my surprise 3 weeks later when I receive a letter stating I performed at the ADMITTED average, when I spent all that time thinking I must've been a mumbling idiot in my interview to be rejected flat out.

Did you speak to the admissions office?

As far as I know, the U of A has a relatively transparent admissions process.

Unless you are willing to post your stats on the boards here, most of us will dismiss (however unfortunate) your claims as bellyaching.

• 5 weeks later...
Yes, assuming you've completed it during or before the spring/summer you apply. You can complete it after your interview.

No I meant a situation like this (sorry for the confusion lol):

You want to get into med school Sept 2010. Is it alright to complete a pre-req during the spring/summer of 2010?

Archived