Premed 101 Forums

Diet Pills- Reporting?

Hillary you're in clerkship right? Can I ask why you're concerned about this? Have you found that the ephedrine's made your preceptor/colleague so hypertensive that its been compromising his or her patient care? I'm not sure I understand why you're concerned about it.

Just to take it a step further though - I'm sure there are individuals in your class that smoke weed, which IS an illegal substance - have you reported that to your dean?

These would make great interview questions :) *notes to self for when interviewing next year*

I'd venture to say that, unless they're trying to commit suicide via ephedra overdose (and come on, what doctor would choose that over something like benzodiazipenes and alcohol?), you're not in any place to intervene. We're not talking about House here.

pretty sure that ephedra isn't illegal. You can buy it in the 8mg form at pretty much every health foods store.

anthing bigger than that is illegal to sell, but it's their own choice to take it. if you have a problem with them, take it up with the person in question first.

just wondering about the circumstances though...? I know lots of people who have taken it (mostly back in HS when you could get it in larger doses) and there are limited side effects that would be relevant to patient care

ephedra or muhuang is legal. It is sold in 8mg and 30mg(rare) doses. It is only illegal in sports as it is considered as performance enhancing drug. Although Sportplayers are allowed to use ephedra during the offseason, it is only during the season that they must be less than x amount in their urine.

I am curious as to why someone would believe that this would cause a problem? There are some cases were it could be a legitimate concern, but if i know there tends to be a stigma against it's use, and some people believe that users should be reprimanded for using.

Hi thanks to most of you for your helpful responses...

The physician in question took this in such large doses that there was a psychotic illness that may have been caused by it. (Based on timing of symptoms and end of symptoms when it was realized and taken away.) She required a medical leave. There was no associated drug/alcohol use. Now the physician is facing review by the provincial licensing body. There may be required practice restrictions and or monitoring. She did not declare the excessive use of ma huang to her doctors. So would it be helpful to declare this? On one hand, it could give a good reason for the mental health issue as opposed to it being considered idiopathic. This in turn might mean that the licensing body would not see it as likely to recur if the cause could be taken away. On the other hand, if the physician is taking a banned substance (isn't it banned in the USA) then it might not be a good idea to mention it?

On one hand, it could give a good reason for the mental health issue as opposed to it being considered idiopathic. This in turn might mean that the licensing body would not see it as likely to recur if the cause could be taken away.

I wonder, though, if she is willing to overdose on a dangerous substance to lose weight, does she not have other mental health issues that need to be treated, like an eating disorder? If the underlying ED is not treated, then will this just happen again? Or will she find another drastic measure to lose weight? I think, only based on the info given, that she may still need psychiatric help regardless of the cause of her psychosis.

alot of people tend to underestimate the dosage needed to overdose. That is why it was pulled from the weight lifting scene, weightlifters were taking it in such high doses that you saw more and more people suffering from heart attacks.

However I wonder if perhaps her taking the drug, was just a catalyst for an actual psychotic illness that she is susceptible to. I have known some users of the drug (weightlifters) and never saw any psychotic issues with them.

Archived