Premed 101 Forums

Help me find a good laptop

daryn

I'm not sure why folks were chatting about going refurbished or substandard in order to get a laptop to meet the OPs needs. There are many brands (including Toshiba, HP, Dell, even Sony) that offer laptops/notebooks for $599-699 that meet or, more often, exceed the OPs needs. One has to simply check out the local Futureshop/Best Buy/Staples etc., or for an even better deal, go with one of the online options. Right now is a great time to buy, with all the "back-to-school" sales going on.

I would recommend some skepticism regarding recommendations for laptops selling for $1000+. Based on your posted needs, $1000+ machines are likely way overpriced and loaded with hardware/software not necessary for your uses.

The machines mentioned above for $599-699 are brand new computers and are excellent quality. Since there are lots of brands in this range you can go with whichever you prefer (ie. Sony for quality/looks, HP for quality/performance, Dell for low-cost). ANY of these laptops/notebooks will exceed the requirements for "school" use. Unless you are a gamer or creating a feature-length film on your laptop, then these machines should be more than adequate.

Typically, these $599-699 notebooks spec out with:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz (or AMD equivalent)

Memory: 2-4GB

Hard Drive: 250GB-320GB

Wireless: a/b/g/n

CD/DVD: 8X DVD+/-R/RW DL

Screen: 14-15.4"

Graphics Chipset: Integrated video (perfectly fine for school, movies... but definately not for a gamer)

Battery: 6-cell (get the 6-cell or higher.... as folks mentioned batteries are the single best component to upgrade)

• 2 years later...

Archived