Premed 101 Forums

Help me find a good laptop

daryn

So I have never owned a laptop before, and I need one ...in two weeks. I have no idea where to start. Please help!

Personally, I want one that is:

- light

- small (14 inches)

- pretty

- somewhat durable

- doesn't heat up too much

- about $1000

Other requirements (standard stuff - I'm not a gamer, and it's only for school, so none of that crazy stuff):

- 2Ghz

- >2GB

- >80GB hard drive

- DVD/CD RW

- 802.11a/g/n

Unfortunately, it can't be a macbook.

I hear Sony is good? Help me out please. I searched through the internet and some people are apparently holding out for the Centrino 2? What's the deal on that?

Hi there,

sony isn't bad - I prefer toshibas myself.

May I ask why so small? If you go up to 15 inches you will have a lot more options to chose from.

The rest of the specifications look inline with your expected cost (I sell computers as a part of my business).

Well if it can't be a Macbook due to budget then Apple does have whole refurbished stocks on their site that would probably be around 1000 bucks. They come with one year warranty just like new ones so you can't really go wrong. Besides Macs are the alpha males of laptop society. :cool:

If you don't mind refurbished then Tiger Direct has some good deals: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3952531&sku=T71-15024&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2001-_-Laptops_T71-15024

If you want a new computer though, I have bought quite a few computers from Canada Computers and I have had nothing but success with their products and service.

http://www.canadacomputers.com

As for the laptop itself, I just bought an Asus EEE pc. Mine was only $400, but you can get higher models. It's 2 pounds, ultra portable, and comes with Windows or Linux distros (I'm a geek so I run Linux.)

Guest Wildboyz
I just bought an Asus EEE pc. Mine was only $400, but you can get higher models. It's 2 pounds, ultra portable, and comes with Windows or Linux distros (I'm a geek so I run Linux.)

It's true, they're that cheap! I owned a 7'' ASUS but it's not good because you could hardly use the keyboard with two hands on it. I recommend you get the bigger ones from 8.9'' and up... they should be light too.

14 inches is crazy small. I have a feeling you will find it harder to work on.

But if you insist on this size I would go with:

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=cadhs1&l=en&OC=N1420PDV_R_E

That link is for the Dell Inspiron 1420.

L11283247.jpg

Personally, if you want to go with the biggest bang for your buck I would get:

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=cadhs1&l=en&OC=N13302V_R_E

Dell XPS M1330

dell_xps1330-010208.jpg

Dell is nice because you can spec it out just the way you want it. I bought the XPS M1730 a related model to the XPS M1330 a few months ago and absolutely love it. It is like having a powerful desktop computer in a laptop. ;) PS: Don't go for for a Mac they are way overrated and over priced.

Yeah I avoid Dell too. The quality is a lower than many other brands.

that being said I LOVE that dell exists. Thanks to their top priority of lowering price the results is that everyone else has had to really reduce their prices as well. About 4 years ago thanks to them the entire bottom fell out of the market. Now you can get a reasonable machine for about 1000 dollars. Before that it was closer to 2000.

Regarding size, I had a Dell Inspiron 9300 (17'') and now have a Macbook (13.3''). Honestly working on things like e-mail, MSN, forums like these, and pretty much everything else except gaming and movies, the size difference isn't much of a deal. From personal experience of labouring to carry a 17'' laptop around, I'd say don't go for anything beyond 13.3''. There's a point to being called a laptop and not a desktop replacement.

Also, I find Dell to be very stable and long lasting. Haven't had a problem with mine for 3 years.

Good luck.

I'm also in the process of buying a laptop with more or less the exact same specs as you're after. I haven't followed computer progression for the last 4 years and only recently read up about Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo vs AMD's line of processors.

Ideally, I'd recommend to you on top of your list of requirements that you find a laptop with decent battery life if this is for taking to class since you won't necessarily always get the luxury of a power outlet in lecture halls. Something with at least 2 hours of battery life should be good enough that you'll survive a lecture without an outlet but hope to God that you find one in your next class if it's back to back.

Personally, I'm still a little uneasy with purchasing big ticket items online. I don't think there's anything wrong with it just that I worry about all the hassle of possibly having to get something fixed.

Anyways, the 2 laptops I've been eyeing are both at futureshop: the LG R405 selling for $850 and the HP DV2934 which was selling for $800 about a week ago but the price has gone up to $950. >_<

Both come with:

- 14.1" Screen

- 2.0 GHz Centrino T5750

- 4 GB of RAM

- 320 GB (LG) or 250 GB (HP) both SATA 5400 RPM

- Webcam, Mic

- Bluetooth

- Wireless G/N

- 6 cell battery

Note that neither comes with a dedicated graphics card but that's alright since we're both using these laptops for school w/ the occasional movie and not for games.

Comparison chart of the two.

So I don't know, maybe you could help me decide too! LG is the brand-er name with better specs but the HP just seems sexier. =P

But heck, maybe we should just get something even more basic like those netbooks or Asus EEE's.

Btw, I wouldn't recommend a Toshiba Satellite... they're known for overheating. I use to own a Toshiba Satellite 5 years ago (thus why I stopped reading up on computer tech), and the bloody thing would overheat and shut itself down every 2 hrs even after professional repairs. Later I read that Toshiba was being sued by a class action lawsuit because they were cutting costs by using larger desktop components instead of laptop parts and by further worsening it by not compensating with better heat sinks or fans because it would've increased the overall size and weight of the laptop. A simple test is just to go into a futureshop or bestbuy and put your hand down on a Toshiba.

I got an LG E300 about 5 months ago. I researched it a lot and found that it was the best value for the money. It's 14 inches, 2 gigs, .. pretty much all the specs you are looking for. It cost me about a grand back then, so will probably be closer to 700-800 now. You could probably upgrade on that to get closer to 1000. Go to http://www.ncix.com for pretty good prices and comparisons. Only maintenance I did was formatting and reinstalling windows after I bought it to get rid of all the junk the companies install on it (all companies are the same, HP, LG, Acer, Dell). That... and I sorta left it on top of my car and had to get some parts replaced....

I got an LG E300 about 5 months ago. I researched it a lot and found that it was the best value for the money. It's 14 inches, 2 gigs, .. pretty much all the specs you are looking for. It cost me about a grand back then, so will probably be closer to 700-800 now. You could probably upgrade on that to get closer to 1000. Go to http://www.ncix.com for pretty good prices and comparisons. Only maintenance I did was formatting and reinstalling windows after I bought it to get rid of all the junk the companies install on it (all companies are the same, HP, LG, Acer, Dell). That... and I sorta left it on top of my car and had to get some parts replaced....

I agree the companies are more the same than different. Just look at Dell. They pretty much just put together the parts which they buy from the same companies as all the others, HP, Asus etc. buy from. With that said I have owned 3 Dell computers over the past eight years and can vouch that if you shop right a Dell computer can last a long time. I am sure the same could be said for other companies, HP etc. as well.

Well if it can't be a Macbook due to budget then Apple does have whole refurbished stocks on their site that would probably be around 1000 bucks. They come with one year warranty just like new ones so you can't really go wrong. Besides Macs are the alpha males of laptop society. :cool:

I would like a Macbook, but the software that's being specified from the school may not be compatible with Macs.

14 inches is crazy small. I have a feeling you will find it harder to work on.

But if you insist on this size I would go with:

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=cadhs1&l=en&OC=N1420PDV_R_E

That link is for the Dell Inspiron 1420.

L11283247.jpg

Personally, if you want to go with the biggest bang for your buck I would get:

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=cadhs1&l=en&OC=N13302V_R_E

Dell XPS M1330

dell_xps1330-010208.jpg

Dell is nice because you can spec it out just the way you want it. I bought the XPS M1730 a related model to the XPS M1330 a few months ago and absolutely love it. It is like having a powerful desktop computer in a laptop. ;) PS: Don't go for for a Mac they are way overrated and over priced.

Because I have to lug it around to and from school every day, I'm not keen on having a bigger one. I guess if it's light, it doesn't HAVE to be 14".

I'm also in the process of buying a laptop with more or less the exact same specs as you're after. I haven't followed computer progression for the last 4 years and only recently read up about Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo vs AMD's line of processors.

Ideally, I'd recommend to you on top of your list of requirements that you find a laptop with decent battery life if this is for taking to class since you won't necessarily always get the luxury of a power outlet in lecture halls. Something with at least 2 hours of battery life should be good enough that you'll survive a lecture without an outlet but hope to God that you find one in your next class if it's back to back.

Personally, I'm still a little uneasy with purchasing big ticket items online. I don't think there's anything wrong with it just that I worry about all the hassle of possibly having to get something fixed.

Anyways, the 2 laptops I've been eyeing are both at futureshop: the LG R405 selling for $850 and the HP DV2934 which was selling for $800 about a week ago but the price has gone up to $950. >_<

Both come with:

- 14.1" Screen

- 2.0 GHz Centrino T5750

- 4 GB of RAM

- 320 GB (LG) or 250 GB (HP) both SATA 5400 RPM

- Webcam, Mic

- Bluetooth

- Wireless G/N

- 6 cell battery

Note that neither comes with a dedicated graphics card but that's alright since we're both using these laptops for school w/ the occasional movie and not for games.

Comparison chart of the two.

So I don't know, maybe you could help me decide too! LG is the brand-er name with better specs but the HP just seems sexier. =P

But heck, maybe we should just get something even more basic like those netbooks or Asus EEE's.

How's HP as a brand? The second link you have there: they don't specify the battery life! That's frustrating. But thanks for that tip, I totally forgot about battery life. So which one are you thinking of getting now?

With that said I have owned 3 Dell computers over the past eight years and can vouch that if you shop right a Dell computer can last a long time. I am sure the same could be said for other companies, HP etc. as well.

What do you mean if you shop right? What should I look for?

Definitely look into the battery life if you're planning on using your laptop for class! And a three-hour battery won't really get three hours for that long- they gradually die down as you use them. Once mine got to under two hours, I bought a second one and now use the two of them. The only big annoyance to this is that when you take out one battery without the computer being plugged into a power source, your computer will have to completely restart with the second one. Therefore, not too practical to be swapping batteries in the middle of lecture.

Archived