Premed 101 Forums

Books on MMi interview prep

x_ring2006

In my humble experience MMI was pretty dynamic and most of it may not be things you can "study" for.

Some general tips:

Know yourself and what motivates you. Know why you want to do things or why you do not. Know what your strong suits are and what suits you need to work on (and how you are working on them).

Be able to look at a situation from side A and side B.... but also be able to remove yourself from the situation and look at it from an objective middle-ground as well.

Sometimes there are things more important than solving the obvious task at hand. It is often easy to miss seeing the forest for the trees.

A good rule of thumb is that there is rarely a single "right" answer. There are an infinite number of opinions/answers, and they are all valid options providing you can support your idea with examples/evidence/justification. Sometimes people attempt to give what they think the interviewer(s) believe is a right answer. This often doesn't give the interviewer any useful information because the person might as well be reading a statement prepared by somebody else. By giving them an honest answer and by supporting it with examples/evidence/justification (preferably from your own life), it gives them some unique information about who you are and how you think as an individual.

The MMI is not about trying to somehow mention your medically related experience. It isn't about what material/knowledge you posess. It isn't about trying to let them know you received an award or how many hours you volunteered. It isn't about how high your GPA or MCAT score is. It isn't about what degree you took. All of this information is already provided by you in your application, so don't waste your time trying awkwardly to work in this information if it isn't relevant.

In my opinion, one of the main goals of the MMI is see who "you" are, what "you" think, why "you" think it, what motivates "you", and ultimately what "you" can bring to the field of medicine that is unique and will enrich everyone else around you. As I said at the start, most of the things I believe a good interviewer is looking for are not answers you need to look up in a book or get from someone else... they are typically answers you already have. As cheesy as it sounds, you might need to sit down and get to know yourself a bit beforehand.

• 2 months later...
In my humble experience MMI was pretty dynamic and most of it may not be things you can "study" for.

The MMI is not about trying to somehow mention your medically related experience. It isn't about what material/knowledge you posess. It isn't about trying to let them know you received an award or how many hours you volunteered. It isn't about how high your GPA or MCAT score is. It isn't about what degree you took. All of this information is already provided by you in your application, so don't waste your time trying awkwardly to work in this information if it isn't relevant.

Your advice obviously doesn't aplly, at least fully, to U of S, who never ask about your med experience and ECs in the application and grant interviews supposedly solely based on your academic performance.

Some general tips:

Know yourself and what motivates you. Know why you want to do things or why you do not. Know what your strong suits are and what suits you need to work on (and how you are working on them).

Be able to look at a situation from side A and side B.... but also be able to remove yourself from the situation and look at it from an objective middle-ground as well.

Sometimes there are things more important than solving the obvious task at hand. It is often easy to miss seeing the forest for the trees.

A good rule of thumb is that there is rarely a single "right" answer. There are an infinite number of opinions/answers, and they are all valid options providing you can support your idea with examples/evidence/justification. Sometimes people attempt to give what they think the interviewer(s) believe is a right answer. This often doesn't give the interviewer any useful information because the person might as well be reading a statement prepared by somebody else. By giving them an honest answer and by supporting it with examples/evidence/justification (preferably from your own life), it gives them some unique information about who you are and how you think as an individual.

In my opinion, one of the main goals of the MMI is see who "you" are, what "you" think, why "you" think it, what motivates "you", and ultimately what "you" can bring to the field of medicine that is unique and will enrich everyone else around you. As I said at the start, most of the things I believe a good interviewer is looking for are not answers you need to look up in a book or get from someone else... they are typically answers you already have. As cheesy as it sounds, you might need to sit down and get to know yourself a bit beforehand.

Largely true but you do want to refresh your memory on the experiences you have had what you gained from them. They come up in little ways like probing questions secondary to the main question at the station. (ie. So, have you ever been in a situation where....what experiences have you had which make you better suited for ........)

Archived