Premed 101 Forums

Laptop advice needed!

Rach

I'm planning on buying a laptop soon (my desktop computer is slowly dying) but I'm afraid of all the choices and options! Any computer savvy people on here have some good advice? Which ones to stay away from, which ones to consider? I would probably want to spend around 1k or less if that's a realistic amount for a good computer. No need for amazing speakers or any gaming capabilities.... Just regular use really.

Any advice appreciated!:)

Dude, you shouldnt get a Dell! lol

but seriously stay away from that crap, so much problems and such a cheap compt. Everybody that has bought a dell has told me they had some problems with it, either right away (out of the box!) or a few mths/years later.

I have a Toshiba, that i had for 4 years now I think, and i had 0 problems with it.

The HP Tx2500 series is pretty good because you can occasionally find them for less than $1000 but they use processors that run REALLY hot (enough to burn your legs), have crappy battery life, weight a lot, and have relatively small screens. Why would you want one? They are some of the cheapest tablet pcs out there so you can actually write on the screen. If you want to get a mac, try to hold out for about a month longer and the new macbooks are going to be out. They are rumored to be completely redesigned with a new laser cut aluminum casing, a much faster processor and graphics system and are probably going to go for around $1 as well--maybe cheaper with the educational discount

• 4 weeks later...
I'm planning on buying a laptop soon (my desktop computer is slowly dying) but I'm afraid of all the choices and options! Any computer savvy people on here have some good advice? Which ones to stay away from, which ones to consider? I would probably want to spend around 1k or less if that's a realistic amount for a good computer. No need for amazing speakers or any gaming capabilities.... Just regular use really.

Any advice appreciated!:)

Don't know if you're still looking for a computer, but if you are, do yourself a favour and BUY A MAC!!!

• 6 months later...

Mac has an awkward operating system. If you have been a windows user for all your life I don't suggest switching to mac. As for laptop PCs go Acer and Toshiba are definately the best in quality, although their appearances might not be that attractive. If you are looking for a stylish laptop running windows than I suggest Sony Vaio.

• 2 weeks later...
Mac has an awkward operating system. If you have been a windows user for all your life I don't suggest switching to mac.

Not to start the whole mac vs PC debate, but I can tell you that I used windows my entire life and was able to easily figure out the mac OS in about a week....

There are pros and cons to both, but personally I was tired of having to run anti-virus, anti-spyware etc.

I have been using my mac laptop for almost 2 years and it has never frozen, never had a virus, never had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I have used a PC all my life, and love it - problems and all (kind of a tricky puzzle at times :rolleyes: ). But I have heard great things from Mac users as well. It's all a matter of preference.

As for your computer. What do you plan on doing with it?

1. GAME

Yes, this is first. Even medical students need some time to play video games. If so, look into a decent video card, abundant ram, and processor.

2. SIZE

Do you like watch movies on your computer? Do you hate bulky laptops that weigh you down while you rush to class 15 minutes late? Consider screen size and weight if these are important to you.

3. KEYBOARD

Test it out. Believe me. I didn't and now I'm stuck typing with tish sutpid tihng.

4. PRICE

This will determine everything, but you can get a great laptop for under 1000 (including tax) these days. Even for under 800.

5. RAM/PROCESSOR/HARD DRIVE

This is certainly pretty standard these days. I can't fill out 100 gb. Make sure you have at least 2 gb of ram if you plan on doing some intensive stuff on your computer.

Be sure to check out some reviews online before you commit to purchasing. I have personally experienced Dell computers and I estimate a lifetime of 2-3 years. I currently have a Toshiba and haven't had a problem with it, but I have two friends who started with them 4 years ago and they have slowed down considerably. Again, check them out. Some great companies are known to put out some shabby models once in a while, and some shabby companies are known to put out some good models (though rare).

Best of luck with your shopping!

Don't know if you're still looking for a computer, but if you are, do yourself a favour and BUY A MAC!!!

He also said he wants to spend 1k or less...if you can find a macbook for that price, could you let me know about it? lol. How about a a Lenovo, they are solid computers and you can get one for under 1K. Check out redflagdeals.com they always some promotion or another which can get you a good comp for about $800.

Why dont you get a tablet pc. They are very useful. Check em out.

Might be out of the price range?

By the way I strongly support the entire try the keyboard out thing. You get stuck with one where you keep hitting the wrong key (for my work one it is always the stupid enter key as it is crushed up against the shift key) it is a royal pain in the ass....

Archived