Premed 101 Forums

Transcripts

So I just recently got the supplemental application. On the left hand side where all the check marks are, I have a check beside transcripts. It says they have information about my transcripts (even though the page is blank). I haven't input any grades and I haven't sent them any official transcripts. How does it say that section is completed?

Anybody else come across this or know the answer?

I hate it when schools require me to submit 2 transcripts. One transcript costs me $10, and there's another school I went to that costs $8. So altogether I have to pay $36 just to get the transcripts sent to one single school. :mad:

Sorry bud, but in the grand scheme of things, $36 is peanuts. Also, think of the costs incurred by people who apply to a dozen (or more) medical schools...

Just try to keep it in perspective ;)

Sorry bud, but in the grand scheme of things, $36 is peanuts. Also, think of the costs incurred by people who apply to a dozen (or more) medical schools...

Just try to keep it in perspective ;)

LOL, the entire app process, including airfare for interviews, etc, cost me like $5500 last year (I also applied to the US).

yup i'm pretty sure the apps cost me upwards of 2000 last year and i spent probably about the same amount on flights and hotels for interviews, and i didn't even go stateside.

don't sweat the small stuff. you will be spending way more in moving costs, rent, tuition, equipment etc in med school proper.

however, $36 would have bought me 9 boxes of girl guide cookies... or possibly the next course pack

Wow Jochi how many schools altogether?

Dunno, I submitted a primary to like 35 US schools, a secondary to like 20-25, applied to 4 CDN schools, flew to 2 interviews, drove to 1.

I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to be able to afford to go to a US med school about halfway through the process, so I stopped doing things like sending them transcripts to get myself off holds, etc. I didn't get in, but if I actually went ahead and sent in ALL my secondaries, ALL my updates, etc, I might have, who knows. I just realized there was no point in attending more US interviews, it'd just be a waste of $ cuz I couldn't afford to enroll.

• 3 weeks later...

Reading the application I cannot see the part where it asks for two transcripts per school.

"Official" transcripts are those sent directly to the Registrar's Office by the institution you attended. You must submit official transcripts from every university and college attended, even if only one course was taken. We do not require high school transcripts. Official transcripts showing completed work and course registration for the fall term should be ordered from your Registrar's Office and submitted to our Registrar's Office immediately upon making application, November 1 @ 11:59 pm. Term one transcripts must be received by February 1 and final transcripts by June 15.

are people referring to sending another transcript in winter or what?

Reading the application I cannot see the part where it asks for two transcripts per school.

"Official" transcripts are those sent directly to the Registrar's Office by the institution you attended. You must submit official transcripts from every university and college attended, even if only one course was taken. We do not require high school transcripts. Official transcripts showing completed work and course registration for the fall term should be ordered from your Registrar's Office and submitted to our Registrar's Office immediately upon making application, November 1 @ 11:59 pm. Term one transcripts must be received by February 1 and final transcripts by June 15.

are people referring to sending another transcript in winter or what?

Hm, maybe they changed the rules this year. Last year it was definitely asking for 2 copies (I think one goes to the registrar and one goes to med).

Really? Dammit, I already sent 2 to Alberta. Ahh whatever, peanuts!

By the way, how do we know if they received it? Our transcript marks aren't going to show up on the application page right (if we do not go to UofA)

Once you submit, your pre-reqs will show with the grades (don't remember about the entire record), so that's one indication. And yes, you can check on Beartracks, as well.

Hey, thanks for the replies, I've checked through Bear Tracks (what a funny name lol) and it says I have an outstanding transcript due June 15th 2009. Sorry if this is a noob question, I sent my transcripts last week but it doesn't seem like I can find out whether or not they have been received yet (there is only that June-2009 transcript outstanding only). Jochi, will I only get to see the pre-req marks once I submit?

Thanks guys, this site saves lives.

by the way ... did anyone else notice that the url for the application is gandalf.ualberta.blablabla ... hahahahaha lotr school

Jochi, will I only get to see the pre-req marks once I submit?

Yeah, and from what I recall, it might take a few days, too. It sounds like they might not even input them at the registrar until the app is submitted (which makes sense, since some people will never submit, so it'd be a waste of their time).

Yeah, I don't understand where 2 transcripts is coming from either. I just sent 1 from each of my 3 unis.

I just stumbled upon it and remembered this thread:

Transcripts

We require two (2) copies of all official transcripts from all post-secondary education including IB and AP transcripts. Official transcripts must be mailed directly from the Office of the Registrar of home school to Registrar's Office, University of Alberta. Photocopies will not be accepted. Mailing address for the Registrar's Office:

http://www.med.ualberta.ca/education/ugme/admissions/dofm_require.cfm

Archived