Premed 101 Forums

Rolling Admissions in Canada

hopeful.md

Hey guys,

From what I am aware of (although I may be mistaken), there are no medical schools in Canada that make use of the "rolling admissions" application process. I'm just wondering why this is the case. Isn't this process less stressful for the students (more time to work on applications, without worrying about strict deadlines) and the admissions committee (since they don't have to read a large number of applications at once)? What are your thoughts?

Thanks! :)

I think rolling admissions is retarded, having gone through the US process last year (and having applied to one rolling admissions school in undergrad).

1) It does NOT give you more time to work on apps. In fact, it does the exact opposite. In the US, if you wanna be competitive, you want to send your apps out ASAP, because places fill up as the year progresses. If you submitted an application in the US on October 1, as we do here with OMSAS, you'd really be pushing it. What if you had a family emergency and couldn't apply early because you were too busy dealing with things? Why should it be translated into not being admitted? No one prevents you from filing non-rolling apps early, so having an emergency shortly before a non-rolling deadline is not an excuse.

2) It does NOT do any good to the adcom, because they don't have the entire pool of applicants for comparison in front of them, so someone who's below average, but applies in June, would be admitted, but someone whos above average, but applied in December, would be rejected, because there isn't enough spaces left.

3) Yet ANOTHER reason why it doesn't do any good to the student is because the student doesn't get offers around the same time. Considering schools give you only a few weeks (usually 2 or so) to give them the deposit to secure your spot, it could mean losing a deposit multiple times if school A> school B> school C, and school C is the first to send an offer, then school B sends one a month later, and then school C is last. You are approaching the deposit deadline for school A with no other offers, so you decide to give them your $1000-2000 to secure the spot. Next thing you know, you got an offer from school B which is better. Deposits are only refundable before a certain date, so if that date has passed, and you'd rather go to school B, you'll have to suck it up and lose the deposit on school A. You pay the deposit for school B. A month later, you get an offer from C, which is your dream school. You have no choice but lose the deposit for school B and pay one for C to save your spot there. Bottom line - you just wasted $2000-4000.

I still think it's a bit dumb that we have to wait ~6 months on average to get anything back from the schools we apply too... whereas in the states, you can apply, interview, and get an answer in a fraction of that time. So that's not to say that everything about rolling admissions is bad!

One way that I think the apps here could be improved is by having cut-off schools like UWO or Queen's present a "secondary application" much like US schools do. That way, rather than toil over your OMSAS sketch and then getting axed because your GPA/MCAT doesn't fit into the magic formula, you could at least save some energy and first make sure you make the cutoffs. Then if you made them, the school would send you a request for the sketch/essays/whatever. Granted, if you are also applying to non-cutoff schools in ON, it won't make a difference, but still.

I agree with Jochi's points from the thread's second post.

On a related note, I think we could all probably agree that it'd be nice to have one central admissions organization.

The medschools would still be free to set their own admissions criteria, philosophy, and style; but, it'd all be located on one website and on one system.

After just completing Manitoba's archaic admissions form, it'd be so nice if everything was presented on one (fast and sleek) online system.

<Okay, back on topic. sorry>

<I have a feeling this is going to turn into an "Everyone b1tch about the admissions process" thread>

I agree with Jochi's points.

On a related note, I think we could all probably agree that it'd be nice to have one central admissions organization.

The medschools would still be free to set their own admissions criteria, philosophy, and style; but, it'd all be located on one website and on one system.

After just completing Manitoba's archaic admissions form, it'd be so nice if everything was presented on one (fast and sleek) online system.

<I have a feeling this is going to turn into an "Everyone b1tch about the admissions process" thread>

Definitely a good idea... I think there should also be a way to get applications reviewed more quickly! It honestly takes a million years to find out an answer, which I think is ridiculous. Then on top of that, we should know our waitlist number so we can plan our futures properly!

I agree with Jochi's points from the thread's second post.

They have it in the US (AMCAS), but then everybody and their mother has a secondary you have to fill out, anyway.

Definitely a good idea... I think there should also be a way to get applications reviewed more quickly! It honestly takes a million years to find out an answer, which I think is ridiculous. Then on top of that, we should know our waitlist number so we can plan our futures properly!

I agree with you Law. When I was waitlisted at Dal last year, I was told my position on the waitlist. That information allowed me to make an informed decision about my Ontario offers. I was far enough down the list that I decided not to wait for Dal, and accept Queen's instead. (I would have accepted it anyway; however, I started making plans to move to Kingston right away rather than waiting on a potential offer from Dal.) I eventually did get into Dal, but my decision had already been made. When I decided to go to Queen's, it was with all the information available.

Elaine

Archived