Premed 101 Forums

cold feet

My deadline is fast approaching and as it does I am feeling some doubt as to whether I really want to go if I get accepted. I guess it is cold feet but think about having to quit my job and my security to venture into a whole new place to become a student again, with all the stress and studies and loans. Has anyone ever felt this way?

hehehe Probably every older applicant :) We all have more to lose in as sense, it is only logical that we would be more likely to get "cold feet".

I am a full blown professional programmer, so going to medical school means giving up a really great job. It's not easy, but its the old where do you want to be in 10 years scenario.

thanks for the reassurance. I have a career already and have had a GREAT job with lots of perks for the past 4 years and if I give it up, it would be very unlikely that I would ever be able to work my way back into it. I guess I am not alone feeling this way.

So are you now in med school? What was your background? And have you ever had any regrets? Like "I could be kicked back watching tv or walking the dog now instead of studying anatomy?" or wished that you stayed where you were??

4th year UWO. Some poor SOB is going to have me as his physician on July 1st. Did an engineering degree and worked for a while before med school. No regrets, although I don't look too closely at my line-of-credit statements. It's just less painful that way...

I wasn`t sure up until the day I got accepted...even then, I was hesitant and figured I would try it out for a bit and if I found it wasn`t for me then just do something else (if it was early enough that my debt wasn`t huge yet).

But I think once you get an acceptance letter you can see how you feel. Honestly though, I had a hard time sorting out if I was excited cause the whole process of applying and getting accepted was over or if it was cause it was what I actually wanted to do.

I don`t have regrets that I am no longer practicing as an S-LP because it really wasn`t a good match for me. Saying I regret going into medicine is a little strong, but sometimes I wish I could have been happy doing something else. I like medicine alot more than speech but in the end medicine is just a job and you have to sacrifice alot for it. At this point in my training I am not sure I can say I think that it is worth it. But perhaps down the road it will be.

Thanks for the honesty. I love the job that I have, for now anyway, but medicine has always been in my heart. I realize now though as the time gets close what a HUGE sacrifice it will be, and change from the lifestyle that I now have. I am so afraid of giving up a good thing to feel like I should have stayed where I was, and not go off chasing my pipe dreams. It will be hard to go from being respected in your field to being a medical student that most people don't give much credit to.

I guess the decision is out of my hands now anyway...

dr2013 - sounds like we are in a similar situation. I've been working full time for 4 years in a health care profession but have always had medicine in my heart as well. I have been thinking a lot about the huge sacrifice it will be, but I think I will regret not following my dream. I wish that my current career was a better fit, but it just isn't. I think my "cold feet" come from the fear that I'll get through medicine and then feel that the sacrifice wasn't worth it. But I guess there's no way to know that unless I try to persue my dream. Great thread to start - it's nice to hear that others are in similar situations.

I guess it is cold feet but think about having to quit my job and my security to venture into a whole new place to become a student again, with all the stress and studies and loans.

Just a side note. Although as a medical student one is swimming in debt, there is still a lot of security. More so than the vast majority of students.

99% of those accepted will graduate and become doctors. You are also virtually guaranteed a job once you graduate. You will match in CaRMS if you graduate from a Canadian med school. Because you are guaranteed a job it is unlikely you will have problems paying off the loan. Furthermore the Ontario government recently approved a series of measures which make it even easier for Ontario medical students to pay off interest during residency and Ontario med students will get paid as clerks. It isn't much but will pay the rent etc. Some other provinces have similar programs.

Basically, don't let job security/money hold you back if med is your dream.

It isn't really the thought of the loans , my spouse is also working with a great job and we own our home. It will just be such a life change, everything will be different, and I wonder at the end if it will be all worth it. I have so much free time now and being a med student will be very very demanding with study and classes and exams......I can't seem to stop thinking about it though!:)

Archived