Premed 101 Forums

Summers

I was wondering if it is required/expected of medical students to work in the summers in a field related to medicine (shadowing doctors, research, etc). If so, is this full time?

I ask because although I am definitely interested in doing these things, if I got in I would like to use one of the summers to get my pilots license. I know I wouldn't have the time while in med school or residence, and it would be nice if I didn't have to wait 8 years (minimum) before I get it.

Unless you choose to attend a 3yr medical program, as far as I know, your summers are all yours. Many do choose to do electives (ie shadowing docs) or research for a part of it, as it helps to get a better idea of what specialties might be of interest to you, etc., but it's entirely up to you. Most only do this for a part of summer, definitely not the whole time. For instance, you could maybe do a weekend elective in ER or one in OBS/GYN, at one weekend each you'd still have plenty of time to do other stuff you like. Also, depending on the school you attend, you could do them during the year instead. For instance, Ottawa U (and I know many others) gives you lots of free time during the school year so you can organize electives whenever you'd like. Finally, keep in mind there's 2 summers off, so if the pilot licence only takes one, then you have the other to do anything you'd like.

you don't need to take the whole summer to get your pilot's license, do you? I know a few people that had obtained theirs in the summer after 1st or 2nd year while doing research or electives full time. From what I remember, ground school can be done on nights/weekends, and flight lessons can be done after work since the sun sets late in the summer. Plus if you have a job that helps offset the costs of instruction and rentals!

You do not need natural 20/20 vision (unless you want to be in the Canadian Forces). So long as your vision is at least 20/30 corrected (glasses, contacts, laser surgery, etc) you are fine. There are also other medical requirements that must be checked by a physician certified to carry out aviation medical exams. This includes things like hearing tests, checks for history of any serious illnesses, etc. An overview can be found here: http://www.calgaryflyingclub.com/medical.html

Archived