Premed 101 Forums

Pre Requisite GPA calculation

Hey all,

I have a question that has possibly been raised before - i searched but came up with nothing though.

When they are calculating your pre-requisite gpa, do they take your best marks in each section?

For example, if I had taken 3 biology classes, getting a B+, A-, and A, do they use the highest marks to calculate the pre-req score?

I'm curious because it specifically mentions zoology, which i did much better in than introductory biology - so I'm just wondering if certain courses are preferable to others...

Thanks in advance!

This is untrue. I got A+'s in 1st year bio and an A- in a 2nd year one, and they used both my A+'s in the pre-req calc.

So yeah, they take your best mark, whenever it was.

I actually agree with Wut?. I think it has that on their website AND that's what was done to my record last year. I took 3 physics courses, all the same level, and the chronological order was B+, B, and B+. They took B+ and B, not 2 B+.

That's weird because that's definitely not the experience I had. I can't find anything on the website saying they do that either.

Yeah, I looked at their website after you posted this and couldn't find it, either. There was definitely something about that on there last year, I wonder if they changed things.

Well, if that's the case this year, then my pre-req GPA should improve noticeably, since my B+ and A- in bio pre-reqs can be replaced with 2 As.

When I applied this past cycle, they definitely used my BEST grades to calculate the prereq GPA. I upgraded some of my courses (i.e. took advanced organic chemistry, physics, etc) and took whatever combination gave me the highest GPA. Also, you have to confirm with the admissions office that the specific higher level course your taking meets their requirements. I had called before taking the advanced organic chemistry and physics courses to make sure they would count towards the prereq GPA. It could be perhaps the course you took (even though its a physics or bio credit at your university) may not transfer over to UofA in the same manner.

Sometimes the RO makes mistakes in calculating your pGPA (happened with one of my courses) and you can call them and they will adjust your grades.

When I applied this past cycle, they definitely used my BEST grades to calculate the prereq GPA. I upgraded some of my courses (i.e. took advanced organic chemistry, physics, etc) and took whatever combination gave me the highest GPA. Also, you have to confirm with the admissions office that the specific higher level course your taking meets their requirements. I had called before taking the advanced organic chemistry and physics courses to make sure they would count towards the prereq GPA. It could be perhaps the course you took (even though its a physics or bio credit at your university) may not transfer over to UofA in the same manner.

Sometimes the RO makes mistakes in calculating your pGPA (happened with one of my courses) and you can call them and they will adjust your grades.

Great, sounds like I got the shaft last year.:rolleyes:

Yeah, Wut?, if you could find out, that'd be great.

Archived