Premed 101 Forums

Pre-req courses

I'm assuming that's a 4.0/4.0?

Have you take at least 30 courses already? AKA are you technically a 4th year who is going to graduate this next semester?

I'd wait for a response from someone else here before I'd call and annoy the admission office, but I'd definitely look into it. My courses aren't up yet so I can't comment.

hi tmimm, what school are you from? i had an 81 and i got 3.7 for it.

the 84 is in a CEGEP and it gave me 3.4...and a 91 in the same school gave me a 3.9!!!

this makes no sense to me...but maybe they are penalizing because it's a CEGEP? but that wouldn't make sense since the level of difficulty of the pre-reqs are the same, if not harder than university level courses...

I believe they take the highest mark. Example: you bomb chem 101, so in order to improve your prereq mark you take a higher level chem. If you improve, they take the higher level course. Anybody with current knowledge feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken

That's correct.

I believe they take the highest mark. Example: you bomb chem 101, so in order to improve your prereq mark you take a higher level chem. If you improve, they take the higher level course. Anybody with current knowledge feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken

spoke to them a few hours ago and this is what they said for CEGEP students:

If you are from CEGEP, then they try to take half of your pre-reqs from CEGEP and the other half from the University you are attending. In CEGEP, you take 3 Physics courses, but since it's "CEGEP level" (which apparently is not considered the same as the rest...) instead of taking the 2 best grades, they take the 3 grades and make an average of the 3 when they calculate the physics section. even though it looks like they only chose 2, they will make overall calculation with the 3

For english courses, there are 4 in CEGEP (1 in each semester). They take the 2 last ones, regardless of the grade.

For the rest they need 2 ORGOs so one can either do both in CEGEP or one and one (univ being the other), 2 BIOC, 2 BIOL, etc.

the physics thing however is kind of weird IMO, taking the average of 3 instead of the 2 best.

edit: they also mentioned that they have a spreadsheet with every school both CEGEP and Univ where they have the % grades equivalents to GPA grades. that means that there's a difference with an 81 in my CEGEP to an 81 in a univ somewhere else and even to another CEGEP in Qc.

doesn't matter to me anymore though because as she was going through my app she happened to "see" that it was already through for full evaluation ...so I guess if anyone wants to find that out they can call and ask for something random and then subtly ask to find out if their application has gone through! :);)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm a first year MD student from UofA. If your transcripts are still not showing up you should consider calling the UGME office to ensure they have been received (it may just be slow inputting into the system, but you don't want to be the kid that finds out a month too late that you were disqualified b/c your transcripts weren't received).

If/when you call, be VERY KIND to the person on the other line. Every contact you have with the school is part of your "interview"... being rude to UGME admin staff is not a smart move.

G'luck to all.

Archived