Premed 101 Forums

I do not want to be a doctor anymore

if you want to waste your life on other possibilities.

try to be a rockstar. there is alot of drugs in with it.

and totally the non prescribed type.

i dont know why i see so many people my age so obsessed with these drugs.

but it doesnt make any sense to me.

its like an optional career, i know some full time drugsters,

i dont know how to label them, its just a wasted thing to do.

lack of intelligence and emotional control.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if you want to waste your life on other possibilities.

try to be a rockstar. there is alot of drugs in with it.

and totally the non prescribed type.

i dont know why i see so many people my age so obsessed with these drugs.

but it doesnt make any sense to me.

its like an optional career, i know some full time drugsters,

i dont know how to label them, its just a wasted thing to do.

lack of intelligence and emotional control.

uh, okay.

Horton, i think it's really good you've realized what you want and what you don't want. it's entirely human to change your mind, to make mistakes. what matters is whether you learn from it or not, and your post sounds like you are, which is great.

ironically, i bet that experience would help you be a great doctor if you were interested in being one. :)

i would definitely finish meds so long as it's tolerable. you're already on your way to getting the degree, so you might as well finish.

Really the wrong forum to be on.

As you can see by now, just about everyone here has an unquenchable thirst to get become a physician. You are going to get very bias opinions, many people here cant even imagine what its like to be in your position, it just doesn't register.

That being said, since you are in 4th year, you pretty much HAVE to finish. But I'm pretty sure you know that.

I know you are a smart guy, you can pretty much do anything you want, all the doors are still opened. Medicine is like the most competitive thing around, and you got in, so other opportunities would be even easier for you to attain.

Anyway, good luck with your future:D

Really the wrong forum to be on.

As you can see by now, just about everyone here has an unquenchable thirst to get become a physician. You are going to get very bias opinions, many people here cant even imagine what its like to be in your position, it just doesn't register.

That being said, since you are in 4th year, you pretty much HAVE to finish. But I'm pretty sure you know that.

I know you are a smart guy, you can pretty much do anything you want, all the doors are still opened. Medicine is like the most competitive thing around, and you got in, so other opportunities would be even easier for you to attain.

Anyway, good luck with your future:D

Well said.

I disagree with a lot of people here. You are a year ahead of me, but I can sorta imagine how you feel. The reason I posted earlier that you should finish isn't because I think you should do Medicine. It is because in the grand scheme, you are unlikely to regret finishing. The Pros, even in a non-medical career, to finishing, likely out-weigh the alternative. Especially when in your case we are talking a couple of months.

As for pulling out of the match. Well if you really don't want to continue, it makes more sense than going into residency. It isn't like first year residency is a lot of fun, especially if you heart isn't into it.

Since you are already in the 4th year and probably had already submitted your CaRMS stuff, I would definitely suggest you to finish your MD degree first then think about what you wish to pursue.

I guess I can sort of relate to how you feel at the moment. Having decided to quit dentistry after 2 miserable years, I believe I made a right decision in leaving the faculty even though my family was about to kill me (I can't imagine what my parents would do to you if you were their son, thinking about not becoming a doctor...hahaha)... I still deeply believe that there is more to life than owing a title, you have to pursue what your heart desires so you won't have any regret later on in life (even though many of my friends call this ideology childish, well, it is your life, you know what's best for you but just need to be ready for any consequence)

If you want to be a teacher, why not take a year off after graduation, try teacher's college or doing some teaching related activities for the next year, you can always reapply for residency after having a year thinking things through.

I seriously don't understand why you guys are all telling the OP to finish his MD. I don't see mention that he thinks of doing otherwise anywhere in his post! From my understanding the OP asked what others thought he should do AFTER the MD (ie take a year off to do rotations, and then potentially doing residency anyway, or trying teacher's college, etc). Am I misreading his post?

I seriously don't understand why you guys are all telling the OP to finish his MD. I don't see mention that he thinks of doing otherwise anywhere in his post! From my understanding the OP asked what others thought he should do AFTER the MD (ie take a year off to do rotations, and then potentially doing residency anyway, or trying teacher's college, etc). Am I misreading his post?

Why the his/he/he/his?

Just baffled by the assumption the OP is a male.

I think this sounds like a reasonable plan. You're not talking about rash decisions, and hopefully the rotational internship would give you a bit of time to sleep & think about what you want to do. Did you come in contact with others who ended up not doing residency? Or did you talk to your faculty about it? I think these people can be a good resource for exploring your options and feeling that you're not alone. If you don't know anyone who's been through something similar, feel free to send me a pm, I might be able to get you in touch with someone.

Actually I am a 'she', not a 'he'. You have it right, Julie -- my intention is to complete my MD (too much of an investment of time & energy not too). You have my overall intentions correct, also.

No, I haven't come into contact with others who have not pursued a residency and I haven't spoken with faculty - I really do not know of a professor who may offer me an unbiased opinion, or if this may ultimately reflect negatively on myself.

I'd finish, then re-evaluate. Other things would be easier to do if you have a doctorate. Plus it allows you to go back some day if you so choose. Even if you never want to do medicine again, at least you'd have the piece of paper, which would help you open other doors. Even as a teacher, at least in Ontario, if you want to progress to Principal you need some post-grad work,... now I have no idea if an MD counts, but that is something worth checking into.

I'd have an MSc also going into teaching. I'd certainly be eligilble for Honour Specialitst additional qualifications. With regards to Principal positions, I believe my MSc would count (not certain how an MD is judged), as I know of another individual with her MSc that has progressed to an administration position in Ontario.

Why the his/he/he/his?

Just baffled by the assumption the OP is a male.

Haha sorry, good point. It's just a "french-is-my-first-language" absent-minded mistake. I didn't realize, but to me OP is a masculin common noun, bc my french translation of it, mentally, was masculin :P I didn't realize it made an assumption of gender.

Well at least my VR was good enough to catch what she was saying...and that she was a she (honestly show me a case of a guy running scared from the advances of a teacher and then talking about it. You can easily tell from her language that she was a she, and I hope she is slightly offended by all of you who though it was a he, tsk tsk). My question is why medicine? You have said that you have lost your passion for it, and that the only reason for choosing it was to run away from this uncomfortable situation you were in. There were dozens of other directions you could have run in, why medicine?

I guess on some level I am annoyed with you, because this country is lacking in good doctors, and there are many people who are trying to get into med school that would make wonderful doctors. Yet here you are in your fourth year of medicine and it sounds as if you never planned on being a doctor, and that medschool was only a change of scenery for you. Or at the most that you saw being a doctor as a job that is acceptable but not what you really want to do, sort of job.

I guess on some level I am annoyed with you, because this country is lacking in good doctors, and there are many people who are trying to get into med school that would make wonderful doctors. Yet here you are in your fourth year of medicine and it sounds as if you never planned on being a doctor, and that medschool was only a change of scenery for you. Or at the most that you saw being a doctor as a job that is acceptable but not what you really want to do, sort of job.

Well I think a large number of premeds are applying for less than noble reasons, but they are only hurting themselves in the long run. The scary thing is that they really haven't the faintest idea how bad it is actually going to be for them down the road when they end up like the OP and miserable with their careers and lives.

Well at least my VR was good enough to catch what she was saying...and that she was a she (honestly show me a case of a guy running scared from the advances of a teacher and then talking about it. You can easily tell from her language that she was a she, and I hope she is slightly offended by all of you who though it was a he, tsk tsk). My question is why medicine? You have said that you have lost your passion for it, and that the only reason for choosing it was to run away from this uncomfortable situation you were in. There were dozens of other directions you could have run in, why medicine?

aahahahaha! i know at least one guy who would totally do that: unknown_user_7 :cool::D

Be mad at yourself not at her. To quote the comments of Mei Yao-ch'en from Sun Tzu's art of War "That which depends on me I can do, that which depends on the enemy cannot be certain."

Be mad at yourself not at her. To quote the comments of Mei Yao-ch'en from Sun Tzu's art of War "That which depends on me I can do, that which depends on the enemy cannot be certain."

Lol, I haven't applied yet, as I am not that far through my undergrad. I was annoyed not as an applicant, but as a person who has been in close contact with the medical system most my life (my mother having worked at a hospital most her life). I understand how important the issue of good doctors and the overall shortage of doctors is. I just don't see someone who is going into medicine "just because they can" or because they were scared away from another proffesion due to a workplace incident becoming a good doctor. I think that someone should be passionate about helping people and that is why they choose medicine. It's frustrating when people work a job which they could care less about.

Well I think a large number of premeds are applying for less than noble reasons, but they are only hurting themselves in the long run. The scary thing is that they really haven't the faintest idea how bad it is actually going to be for them down the road when they end up like the OP and miserable with their careers and lives.

I believe the same, but really look at the other side of the hourglass. If they are hurting themselves going into a career they won't care about or are miserable in, how will that affect their patients?

Guest soaring_eagle
I believe the same, but really look at the other side of the hourglass. If they are hurting themselves going into a career they won't care about or are miserable in, how will that affect their patients?

Oh god, don't get me started here. A doctor who is meant to be a doctor can save 100 lives in the same time the **** who go through med school kill 100 lives.

real life...my dear dad in the grave today due to slip ups in a system that has made me apprehensive of "doctors" or on the flip side phonies who go through med school

Guest soaring_eagle

and i'm not just jumping to conclusions based on the effects in my own life...i've been around the medical system (ie. hospitals) for many years and have been able to clearly see over and over again how one's training wanes in comparison to how much they want to help when the bottom line is drawn

I think its better to be ignorant than to know the truth...its less...painful...

You have to face reality that as long as doctors get paid lots of money and demand respect from the general public, people will want to apply for those reasons who could give a crap about other people. But look on the bright side: if you are a compassionate caring person, just think how easy it will be to impress your patients and make them feel like you are doing a great job. ;)

I could have complete understanding of the CONCEPTS, but still fail the exam if I couldn't memorize and regurgitate the amino acid structures, the Krebs' cycle, or names and dates of battles/treaties that were fought and signed in foreign countries before my grandparents were born. I was as adept at “memorize and regurgitate” as anyone, but found it a lot of boring, pointless drudgery.

I'm the exact same way, ffp, and I HATE memorization courses and am not looking forward to the first 2 years of medical school. But did you not find it interesting in 3rd/4th year/residency where you needed to problem solve and use your intelligence to come to diagnoses?

LOL... Rob, my thoughts exactly! I had a "friend" in undergrad who was very annoyed when I got into medicine. She had literally been volunteering in a pediatrician's office since age 12, and was upset when I went into medicine "just because I could", and took a spot from a serious, dedicated applicant like herself.

I dunno... I always thought her 4 in PS, 8 in VR and 3.65 GPA had more to do with her lack of admission than anything I might have done :P

That's kinda cheap shot.

Anyways, I really think people can do whatever they want, and don't really have to "please" anybody but themselves, if you're not happy and you can do something about it, well you'd be a fool not to...

Besides, during a medical education/career, it's quite normal to question oneself, as most well balanced people should, imho, and taking wise decisions while at it.

noncestvrai

To quote noncestvrai....

"Anyways, I really think people can do whatever they want".......

I think people can try to do whatever they want...... Whether they can do whatever they want is a completely different issue.

I went through engineering undergrad with a lot students that worked 100+ hrs a week to try to make it through and failed out... some multiple times. I'm too old to believe that people can do whatever they want.... Unless of course I get offered a professional soccer contract in the near future.

So I find myself in agreement with DC..... sometimes reality is strong stuff.

M.

Archived