Premed 101 Forums

I do not want to be a doctor anymore

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... and I do appreciate that the majority of the schools require a degree to apply as way of a lower-age cut-off. There is then at least a hope that the applicants are more mature (at least relatively) and settled up on their life's goals. The schools that still accept with only two years of university (just two years out of high school!) are playing on the riskier side to have more kids who only truly discover themselves by the end of the med school.

or it could be a way of lowering the number of applicants, by funnelling them off into other professions. If you spend fours years in school, you usually realize if some other area holds your dream job.

... and I do appreciate that the majority of the schools require a degree to apply as way of a lower-age cut-off. There is then at least a hope that the applicants are more mature (at least relatively) and settled up on their life's goals. The schools that still accept with only two years of university (just two years out of high school!) are playing on the riskier side to have more kids who only truly discover themselves by the end of the med school.

I'm an exception there... I already held an Honors B.Sc. & M.Sc. before going in medicine. Unfortunately I had convinced my self (albiet subconsciously) that I belonged in medicine; even former professors & teachers thought of it as an epiphany that I had chosen to pursue the field.

Frankly, I believe that it can very easily happen to anyone -- that's just the way life goes sometimes.

I'm an exception there... I already held an Honors B.Sc. & M.Sc. before going in medicine. Unfortunately I had convinced my self (albiet subconsciously) that I belonged in medicine; even former professors & teachers thought of it as an epiphany that I had chosen to pursue the field.

Frankly, I believe that it can very easily happen to anyone -- that's just the way life goes sometimes.

Hey can you elaborate on this? I want to make sure this isn't happening to me :confused: . I just started my masters this school year and just recently got this drive to go into medicine. I want to make sure that I am doing it for the right reasons. I am not sure why it hit me so late. I think it might have a lot to do with the fact that I am uncertain of my future and that going into medicine would provide me with a stable profession. Before, I think I would have probably done my masters (or maybe switched to a PhD) and then gone into the work force, and just lived my life from then on. But now I have started this whole process of applying to med school, and participating in activities more related to medicine. It is something that has always been at the back of my mind but never really flourished...and I don't know why it is happening now.

Any advice will be appreciated...im glad you found your calling now.

I had the first inklings that I wanted to go into medicine in my last year of undergrad, but it wasn't until near the end of my first year in my masters that I actually made the decision. Next summer I wrote the MCAT, did fine, and started a round of applications. Three interviews and a Dal acceptance later and I'm loving it - and I enjoy the clinical side of things far more than the process of studying basic sciences. The former motivates the latter, most definitely.

However, I never perceived medicine as the "safe" choice - the academic world is much more low-key, but I decided that wasn't what I was looking for. Initially, I also thought I wouldn't want to do anything too hands-on in medicine - something more "intellectual" was appealing - but with 10 weeks to go in my first year I feel ever more sure that I want to be surgeon, something that wasn't on my radar in the least a year ago.

So... don't worry too much - everyone has their owm motivations. I know I felt pretty scared about what I was getting into immediately after my first interview (probably because it went so well!), but within the first two weeks of school I felt very much at home.

I'm sure there's a place in medicine for physics. I remember as an undergrad working with a physics researcher who was modeling molecular interactions with drugs, and I was working with him because I had the medical knowledge he didn't. Maybe you don't like the people in medicine? It's just such a vast area of knowledge that there just has to be something that appeals to you.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the second guessing camp. I really tried my best to avoid med school until about 5 years ago. I thought engineering was where I belong, but then I don't like the whole business world out there :S. But now after I finished my first interview I'm second guessing if I would be better suited going into law school. For now I'll let things flow and see if I make it into med school. If I do, I'll take that as "fate" and continue on. If not then I'm bugging out to law or PhD studies.

what exactly is the "right" reason?

Well, what's the right reason to marry someone? For their money (it happens often)? And pretend to love them to get access to it? But with marriage, one can still get divorced when they realize the BS of the marriage.

Scarily, with medicine one is in the career for life and many are affected by his/her actions.

lol, to repeat what everyone else has already said... what is the right reason?

i really don't think there is a wrong reason at all. i mean good thing this isn't the interview (and this is also not my reason), but when you really sit back and think about it, whats wrong with going into med for the money/prestige. if that type of thing keeps you motivated to work in the future, why not? in the end... people care about how your patients turn out. if the reason your patients all end up well and you try really hard in your job is because you want the money and the prestige rather than some self-proclaimed altruistic ideal, why not. infact, i think that money/prestige are one of the things that stay the same throughout your job (if you screw up your patients, well you'll get less money and less prestige) and some of the other so-called "right" reasons may even disappear after a while.

The problem with going for money and prestige is that you will rapidly become miserable and this will adversely impact your patients. Not to mention that people who go into a career for prestige are generally very insecure and lack self-confidence. Not in and of itself an impediment to practicing medicine, but it means you're likely to act in ways that are reflective of that low self-worth (that is to say you'll either have a superiority complex or be a complete pushover, neither of which are good for patient relationships).

n00b, differentiate between a factor and the most important factor. Pay is a factor. It should not be the most important factor or you will burn out fast. There's a reason it's the pink elephant in the room during interviews. Doctors who are in it for the money end up being subpar doctors to the point that it is selected against.

I don't think anyone should judge any reason for becoming a physician. What matters is the end result.

I bet you there are some docs are are in it for the money and are better at their job then those idealistic types. Life is funny that way.

I completely agree.

Yeah, in many ways medicine is srs bsns, and boy is it fun to get on your high horse and debate morals, ethics and humanity, but its also just a ****ing job. A job that you'll have to do for years to come and if you start to hate it, then you shoulda kept going simply because you took some poor pre-med's spot in med school who would have loved being a doctor? smh

Yeah, I guess different people go in for different reasons so its probably hard to define.

And Admissions will do their best to weed out those whom they discern are motivated for the wrong reasons. Although MMIs really don't give them that opportunity, perhaps they get a flavour of who we are in our repsonses to ethical problems.

n00b, differentiate between a factor and the most important factor. Pay is a factor. It should not be the most important factor or you will burn out fast. There's a reason it's the pink elephant in the room during interviews. Doctors who are in it for the money end up being subpar doctors to the point that it is selected against.

there's really no quantitative weight given to these so-called factors. say someone says they're not in it for the money. how much meaning does that statement actually have? it's just talk. talk is cheap.

Archived