Premed 101 Forums

I do not want to be a doctor anymore

I've done very well academically. I just do not feel the passion for any particular area of medicine.

I went to medical school for all of the wrong reasons. It was the result of a 'fight or flight' response. I also hold a Masters in physics. I have always wanted to teach secondary school (physics & math). In my first year of grad school, I had an unfortunate experience with a professor who wanted to take our 'professional' relationship too far. As a result, after two years of looking over my shoulder (this was my choice after speaking with a confidential liaison), I could not get away from the area of study fast enough. Medicine was a complete change, & I was very lucky to have been accepted the first try - I chose 'flight'.

I am thinking of perhaps doing a rotational type internship next year. At that point, I would either continue into a residency or I would follow my initial pursuit & desire of Teacher's College.

Can someone offer their perspective of my situation?

Just to note: I have very minimal debt from my med school tuition. So money is not an issue.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest soaring_eagle

How many more are out there?

bravo to the OP who posted here.

I fear that too many people get into medicine for motivations that don't last -- resulting in deprived medical care of patients down the road

lets face it --- we all know people who want to go into medicine for money and prestige --- and may bust their ass for the undergrad years to get a GPA and ec's to slide into medicine

but when it comes down to their careers...god imagine, those empty motivations no longer hold their power.

dont give up now, stick with it for a few more mths, until you graduate and have your MD degree, and then you can figure out what you want to do. there are alot of things you can do besides medicine once you graduate. teaching is one of them...hs (kinda weird with an md degree) or cegep (for some reason i assume you are in qc) or at the university level ....or research or anything else you like.

or do it for me.

i agree with ahmed, what a wise man. since u're in 4th yr already, why don't u just finish it? give it another yr or so and explore ur options..u'll probably find smth u'll like. if u leave now, u'll have wasted a few yrs, and will leave many struggling premeds thirsty for ur blood. :P

or do it for me.

i agree with ahmed, what a wise man. since u're in 4th yr already, why don't u just finish it? give it another yr or so and explore ur options..u'll probably find smth u'll like. if u leave now, u'll have wasted a few yrs, and will leave many struggling premeds thirsty for ur blood. :P

Yes, finish for us "blood thirsty premeds" :)

I'd finish, then re-evaluate. Other things would be easier to do if you have a doctorate. Plus it allows you to go back some day if you so choose. Even if you never want to do medicine again, at least you'd have the piece of paper, which would help you open other doors. Even as a teacher, at least in Ontario, if you want to progress to Principal you need some post-grad work,... now I have no idea if an MD counts, but that is something worth checking into.

money being a motivation is mind boggling to me...considering there are other ways of making money much quicker...

Im guessing it also has to do with stability of the profession...

when you have all the money in the world. you realise that life is not about money. though money is motivating, what really motivates people is helping someone, being there for someone. relationships bind us together. the being together, helping the world become better. plus the motivation is money.

but money alone, causes much suffering, lack of self-esteem, filling the emptiness with a sort of paraphernalia, and not caring a damn about others.

I am thinking of perhaps doing a rotational type internship next year. At that point, I would either continue into a residency or I would follow my initial pursuit & desire of Teacher's College.

Can someone offer their perspective of my situation?

Did you apply to CaRMS? (File review is opening this week, so I assume you have.) What programs are you considering?

Well, I have a good friend from undergrad who did her MD and became a family doc instead of studying seals in the arctic. She now hates being a family doc (hated med school too) and is miserable. Of course she seems to have become the kind of person who would be miserable no matter what, but she didn;t used to be that way. Follow your heart. Do what makes you happy. You are fortunate not to have a large debt to service.

I think this sounds like a reasonable plan. You're not talking about rash decisions, and hopefully the rotational internship would give you a bit of time to sleep & think about what you want to do. Did you come in contact with others who ended up not doing residency? Or did you talk to your faculty about it? I think these people can be a good resource for exploring your options and feeling that you're not alone. If you don't know anyone who's been through something similar, feel free to send me a pm, I might be able to get you in touch with someone.

for god's sake finish Ur MD then think what u want to do... U didnt experience working in ur degree yet... adding to that I thin they'd let you teach math is high scool with ur MD! Don't drop now, u might deeply regret it in the future!

i agree with what drAA said. it would be stupid to drop now.

anyways the final decision lays in ur mind, you gotta decide your move.

Archived