Premed 101 Forums

OOP Admission Average Insane or What?

It's not impossible - I got into SK as an OOP... after a few years of really hard work... that said, never say never... and youngdad...it's best to contact SK directly to find out what kind of scale they would use for your particular school/program. They are not out to get anyone, and they are very very accommodating when it comes to questions about individual cases. Assuming things is never a good thing. Good luck and hang in there!

momo

• 1 month later...

It's fine if it is standardized but they don't even bother standardizing the damn grades...if you get an A+ from a school that only reports letter grades, this is converted to a 95% I think, something like that..93% maybe. But schools like U of T, if you get a 90% it is also reported as A+ but USask will take it as 90% - don't tell me that's fair.

I guess in the end it doesn't matter b/c some people will be able to achieve a 93% in their two best years - and I'm speaking specifically of UTSG students, not students from any other school b/c I haven't been to any other schools. I just know that I graduated with the highest GPA in my college - and I can tell you that it's not easy to get 90+ in all of your classes (for me anyway).

It's fine if it is standardized but they don't even bother standardizing the damn grades...if you get an A+ from a school that only reports letter grades, this is converted to a 95% I think, something like that..93% maybe. But schools like U of T, if you get a 90% it is also reported as A+ but USask will take it as 90% - don't tell me that's fair.

If this is true then it is impossible for someone to make the OOP cutoff from my university. Any department.

If this is true then it is impossible for someone to make the OOP cutoff from my university. Any department.

Well, it depends on your school - for U of T, I emailed them and they take whatever percentage grade is reported on the transcript.

UofT transcript: A+ = 90% and up. Sask conversion: none.

School X: A+ reported only. Sask conversion: 95% (so a student who gets a 90% gets real lucky).

So much for standardizing the grades :rolleyes:

That's just for U of T. Although I have a hunch it's probably like this for UBC as well.

Well, it depends on your school - for U of T, I emailed them and they take whatever percentage grade is reported on the transcript.

UofT transcript: A+ = 90% and up. Sask conversion: none.

School X: A+ reported only. Sask conversion: 95% (so a student who gets a 90% gets real lucky).

So much for standardizing the grades :rolleyes:

That's just for U of T. Although I have a hunch it's probably like this for UBC as well.

My UVic transcripts tell me 90 for A+ even though in my dept its 95, weird huh? So if what you say is true then it is not possible under any circumstances for anyone who attended U of T for their best 2 years to be invited for interview.

I think when the consider the cutoff for the gpa, they make a plot of all of the OOP applications' gpa. Then they pick a number that leaves only a certain amount of applicants left that they have to consider. So it totally depends on application pool and ABSOLUTELY nothing is based on future ability to become a good doctor... what a great application procedure eh:rolleyes:

though, if all medical schools adapted that policy, to only accept the students with the top merits, it'll make the entire application process a whole lot easier (with no interviews and all)

My UVic transcripts tell me 90 for A+ even though in my dept its 95, weird huh? So if what you say is true then it is not possible under any circumstances for anyone who attended U of T for their best 2 years to be invited for interview.

No it IS possible - if you can get a 95% or 97% then Sask will take that as the grade.

But all A+'s are given the value reported on the transcript right? Even if I get 100 in a course, my transcript says on the front A+ and on the back it says

A+ = 90 - 100, so I get 90.

No I don't think you're getting what I'm saying - you should just email them and ask.

I think for your case, you come from a school where they'll give a 95% for a reported A+ b/c from your description, your transcript only reports letter grades.

Indicating the "range" is not assigning a percent grade, it's just indicating the range. In other words, someone looking at your transcript won't know what you really got in the course, just that it could've been b/w 90-100.

• 1 month later...
No I don't think you're getting what I'm saying - you should just email them and ask.

I think for your case, you come from a school where they'll give a 95% for a reported A+ b/c from your description, your transcript only reports letter grades.

Indicating the "range" is not assigning a percent grade, it's just indicating the range. In other words, someone looking at your transcript won't know what you really got in the course, just that it could've been b/w 90-100.

that seems pretty unfair to me, since its soo much easier to get 90+, but among all the 90+'s how many are actually above 95%? I know most people including myself have mostly 92-93 ish so A+ being 95% doesnt seem fair to me.

Guys, take a step back and look at the big picture... they have limited OOP spots and so they have to somehow pick and choose - all other schools do it!! And just for those who talk about grade inflation etc etc... I worked my BUTT off to get the marks I got, and I did get into UofS as an OOP. It IS possible. I did take hard courses. No it wasn't easy. Yes I went to "prestigious" schools. Yes, it took me 10 years to put my life in order so that I am able to do that. There are plenty of other schools for OOPs to choose from, and they are not any easier to get into.

It is what it is. It's not always fair or easy. But if you're on this board, then you're dedicated to your chosen path, and that's important. And keep the big picture in front of you- no matter what school you get into, you will still get to be a physician. And in the end, that's all that mattered to me. Realizing that calling.

Archived