Premed 101 Forums

Opthamology Info?

Echo Kate's excellent advice. My comments were directed at your question regarding whether one's chances for ophthalmology would be slim if one were not at the 'top' of the class (however that is defined). Unfortunately, I am not familiar with issues encountered as a Canadian attending medical school in the US.

Thanks Kate and Lactic Folly for the great advice/input! Yeah, I'll be keeping my eyes open for sure for other specialties, I'm currently looking into anesthesiology too, and it sounds like an awesome specialty! So Kate, may I ask what you had in mind when you started med school, and what did you end up doing now?

As for the issues surrounding Canadians in the US, that's ok, I'm sure I'll find some info on SDN or even the american forum here on premed101, but it was a great assurance reading your feedback :)

• 4 weeks later...

Quoting: 'Table 1. Average Payment per Fee-for-Service Physician Who Received at Least $60,000 in Payments by Type of Practice, 2004–2005' done by the CIHI, the average payments made to Ophthalmologists were lowest in PEI at $333,849 and highest in SASK at $632,834 :eek:

What type of procedures, and average costs, are ophthalmologists doing that made this specialty the highest paid fee-for-service specialty in 04-05???

Archived