Premed 101 Forums

How much judging goes on?

I've been finding that some med students particularly love to judge premeds and their own peers.

"Omg, how could this person want/is applying to/gotten into med school? They are not competent/compassionate/smart/a good communicator/etc"

My question is--why does being in med school automatically put you into the seat of authority to suddenly judge whether other people deserve to be doctors or not?

Unless you're on the adcom and actually been trained for the interviewing process, why should your SUBJECTIVE and pompous input be of any value really?

I'm not saying everyone is like that. In fact, I would say a small proportion thank god. But I just find it quite amusing.

Why does being in med school suddenly give you this extra edge to be so judgmental? I read things like "I would never trust this person with my life" etc. Well, they're still going to be doctors anyway whether you like it or not because in the end, you're not the one calling the shots.

I haven't heard any comments like that, though there has indeed been some complaining about apparently less conscientious students (like not preparing for tutorial properly) who, for example, are perceived as being overly focussed on ortho to the exclusion of everything else.

I agree it can be frustrating to see someone else unfairly or prematurely judged. But I've found that you can learn just as much from negative as positive role models, providing vivid examples of how not to act. Many character/personality traits tend to be stable over time and were likely present before entering medical school.

The very nature of the interview process is subjective, with training or not. And as you've noted, medical students are themselves patients or family members of patients, who will have opinions about who they will prefer as their physician, if not who deserves to be one. Sometimes patients have had prior bad experiences with healthcare, which may be unfairly applied to their new caregiver, but it's something that you have to work through nonetheless. Everyone comes from a different place and sometimes the only thing you can do is listen and try to understand.

You're right, everyone who is past admissions is going to be someone you have to work with, so it's not helpful to apply judgments. But if you witness unethical behaviour, you might end up having to call their actions inappropriate and having to intervene.

But often it's not even like unethical things someone has done to warrant being ridiculed. It'll be more subjective attacks on people's opinions or they way they act (and not even doing unethical things but just that they don't like their personality). If someone is a bit too shy, people will pass judgements like "I think they should be a pathologist." Or if someone they think is not bright, they'll go "Well, at least there's family medicine for them. Sure wouldn't want them doing anything else."

Ehh, I'm guessing this happens in many a workplace, or junior high. Speaks more to the people making the comments than to those they criticize. It would be unfortunate if these comments got back to their subjects though. Personally I would deal with it like any other gossip (don't reinforce such comments, change the subject, say something neutral to the effect that quieter people are found in all specialties and have much to offer).

I couldn't give a care about what the "pre-meds" are doing to be honest. The only time I might "judge" is when some random pre-med decides to attend one of our lectures and steals my favourite seat. It is the one I sit in 5hrs a day... It is mine! ;)

If you have a question about my past experience as a pre-med or about med school I am happy to talk to you. But to be serious I got other worries and judging you is the furthest thing on my mind...

Most med students have much better things to do than dis premeds all day long. Honestly I haven't had a single discussion since I started med school in which the topic of premeds came up, not counting the forums of course.

you spelled "diss" incorrectly. lol

i notice on forums, everybody, meds and premeds alike, suddenly becomes much more judgmental. when you don't have to come face to face with hurt feelings and strained friendships of the real world, it's easy to say a lot of things. and on forums, it's easier to perceive a neutral comment as a diss.

I hate premeds... I only come on here to bash them... Doing so makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. :D jk

Oh Truf, why do you feel it is important to point out someone spelled a slang word wrong??? Yes I am judging you. Considering your posts I would get use to this fact... Premeds these days...

I hate premeds... I only come on here to bash them... Doing so makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. :D jk

Oh Truf, why do you feel it is important to point out someone spelled a slang word wrong??? Yes I am judging you. Considering your posts I would get use to this fact... Premeds these days...

because many people don't respect slang enough. they say "it's just slang", but in reality slangs represent entire subcultures. i don't correct people's writing, except when they use slang incorrectly or if it's something personal. (for example, i'm not correcting a typo in what you just said).

(and i don't like when people spell "douch bag" instead of "douche bag").

what this guy says can't be more true: http://slang.urbanup.com/1044563

respek yo slang, mah homies!

because many people don't respect slang enough. they say "it's just slang", but in reality slangs represent entire subcultures. i don't correct people's writing, except when they use slang incorrectly or if it's something personal. (for example, i'm not correcting a typo in what you just said).

(and i don't like when people spell "douch bag" instead of "douche bag").

what this guy says can't be more true: http://slang.urbanup.com/1044563

respek yo slang, mah homies!

Truf, you do know your mildly annoying right?

good lord, how will i live with the shame of having my ignorance revealed in a public forum :D I blame it on Firefox's spell check it underlines diss but not dis. Actually I'm going to reveal your ignorance for realizing that I actually spelled it correctly. Whats that horrible smell... my god its burnt truffle :eek:

PS are you fungal or chocolate?

PPS someone should let firefox know that diss is also acceptable

http://www.answers.com/topic/dis

Dictionary:

dis

(dĭs) pronunciation

or diss tr.v. Informal., dissed, diss·ing, diss·es.

To show disrespect to, often by insult or criticism: “[The network] is often dissed for going after older, less demographically desirable viewers” (Michael McWilliams).

[African American Vernacular English, short for DISRESPECT.]

Dis is the city in the sixth circle of Hell.

Now that that's been cleared up...

I don't judge pre-meds. I don't even see them, really. What anyone else does is his own business.

Granted, when I was in undergrad, a gaggle of noodly over-eager hand-raisers sat in the front rows, vying for the attention of the professor. It was obvious that they were looking for professorial approval since they would become as silent as ghosts if a post-doc was giving a lecture. These kinds of people are in every bio, chem, neuro, and any other somewhat-medically-related undergraduate class. They're quite funny to watch, actually. Enjoy it.

There are occasionally remarks made at the expense of premeds in a general sense - they were very, very eager to sign up to volunteer for our HIV/AIDS week events, for example, something attributed to their zeal to acquire extracurricular experiences. They are kinda funny, in that way, but I can't actually recall seeing any self-described premeds this year at all.

Archived