Premed 101 Forums

Why not nursing, physio, etc?

hkmedbound

maybe one wants a challenge of med school

or

maybe the prestige of becoming a doc, and definite job security around the world

or

maybe the $$

or

maybe you enjoy the more team work that a doc has to do with the other health professions

many other possibilities are there... but the ones you might want to mentions to the adcom are limited....

do you like to take orders?

and

do you want to do something intellectual?

I would rephrase that - one of the most tricky parts of answering this question is to not sound like you are putting down the other professions.

Lots of doctors "take orders" and a lot of medically related professions are intellectually stimulating and have great freedom.

it would be a hard question to answer without knowing about different professions. nursing can give you a decent wage, jobs all over the planet, and ability to work with other HCP's, and a degree program is challenging. what i would say if asked, is that I would like to have a bigger scope of practice (diagnosis, ordering treatment, referrals...)

I think with the expansion of Nurse Practitioners you need to be careful with this question... although there are a few technical differences, they're quite similar to a family physician scope wise....

However medicine allows you much more autonomy in certain areas.... Ie: Surgery... nothing against surgical nurses but the largest role they were serving in the OR's I've been lucky enough to be in... was keeping inventory on what was used and passing tools to the surgeons.

So with no offense intended the physician's role in the OR was a lot more interesting than the nurse's.

There are people who work as a nurse just want to do it as job. Like any other profession, people who just go to work to just go to work don't excel in their field as people who are passionate about what they do. This includes doctors too. To say that Nursing requires less intelligent is really stupid. I have friends who are current Nursing students and some who are in the field for 5+ years and trust me they are quite the intellectuals.

The difference between being a nurse and being a doctor to me is that, I have thought about this long and hard before, for one thing nurses deals more with people while doctors deal more with the diseases. Of course either roles will cross paths and sometimes deal with both. But on a whole nurses are more about the people. Have you guys heard jokes about doctors not knowing their patients until they look at charts? There are some truth in this. But just from my own social group and volunteer experience I know that it takes a certain kind of person to be a good nurse and a certain kind of person to be a good doctor. There are crappy nurses as their are crappy doctors and trust me when I say that the crappy doctor is always worse to come across because of their own neurosis about themselves (what's with the god-like complex?).

I am a social person, but I know that I don't have what it takes to be a good nurse. The roles of a doctor seems to fit me more. But I am not there yet so I am not 100% sure. I also know that I am not going to have my own practice. I am more suited to work in a hospital setting so having my own clinic and all that just doesn't interest me. And just from doing introspective work on myself I can see myself either in the ER or pathology field.

So yeah... and that is why I am heading down this path.

I could rule out stuff like resp therapy and physio simply because I'm not ready to commit to one narrow field yet. That's not to say I'm NOT interested in physio, for example. People ask me "what medical specialty are you interested in," and I always answer with "how about I tell you which ones I'm NOT interested in, that's way quicker."

There are people who work as a nurse just want to do it as job. Like any other profession, people who just go to work to just go to work don't excel in their field as people who are passionate about what they do. This includes doctors too. To say that Nursing requires less intelligent is really stupid. I have friends who are current Nursing students and some who are in the field for 5+ years and trust me they are quite the intellectuals.

The difference between being a nurse and being a doctor to me is that, I have thought about this long and hard before, for one thing nurses deals more with people while doctors deal more with the diseases. Of course either roles will cross paths and sometimes deal with both. But on a whole nurses are more about the people. Have you guys heard jokes about doctors not knowing their patients until they look at charts? There are some truth in this. But just from my own social group and volunteer experience I know that it takes a certain kind of person to be a good nurse and a certain kind of person to be a good doctor. There are crappy nurses as their are crappy doctors and trust me when I say that the crappy doctor is always worse to come across because of their own neurosis about themselves (what's with the god-like complex?).

I am a social person, but I know that I don't have what it takes to be a good nurse. The roles of a doctor seems to fit me more. But I am not there yet so I am not 100% sure. I also know that I am not going to have my own practice. I am more suited to work in a hospital setting so having my own clinic and all that just doesn't interest me. And just from doing introspective work on myself I can see myself either in the ER or pathology field.

So yeah... and that is why I am heading down this path.

Doctors can work with patients in a way that leads to more 'tangible' results because they are ultimately responsible for the decision-making. It also depends on the specialty, but I hear what you are saying.

I like how we are moving away from the heirarchical framework and more with the idea that each health care personnel fills a different niche.

Archived