Premed 101 Forums

I'm considering either integrated or general science..but i have two problem if i were to do general i would do life sciences and my second one i would have to do chem..but im not too great at chem and not interested in earth n ocean or math..and we all know the last two years matter..and for integrated i have no idea WHAT i should integrate..i'm open to any suggestions for my major doesn't have to be what I mentioned :)..and just an aside im in second year and sitting at an average of 69..am i in really bad shape..i made the mistake of taking waay too many courses first year

I'm not 100% sure how your problem is either specific or pertinent to med schools, but I would advise that you take something that interests you. Most med schools don't look specifically at what major you took, and many don't even have specific prerequisites for admission. Take what interests you, and get your average up, or you won't have to worry about this at all.

I'm pretty sure that, in terms of chemistry, the pre-requisites for med school are the same as those for the life sciences. If that is indeed the case, then assuming you're planning on applying to med school, avoiding life sciences will not avoid any chemistry you have to take.

I don't think i explained that i mean very well: We have the choice of majoring in General Sciences right? and you have to pick two areas of focus..I LIKE lifesciences ALOT..but for the second area I would have to choose something like chemistry and the chem is what i wanted to avoid not lifesciences. And in terms of my interest I love sciences which is why I'm even considering staying in General Sciences or doing integrated so i get a bit of everything with a good average..that's why this is so hard for me..thanks guys!

Then do biology and something else you like. Doesn't matter what it is. And if you're into something that is easy (aside from biology, that is) then more power to you.

Here are the courses I think most find to be easy: psych, analytical phil (the logic/critical thinking stream of philosophy), kinesiology,.. can't think of others right now.

But you get the idea. Take biology and something else easy that you're interested in. Med schools seem only to care if you take courses full time and that you do well in them, and not so much whether or not the courses you take are actually challenging or not. Keep that in mind with your electives as well.

I"m a general science major at UBC and I took lifescience and earth and ocean science. I thought i wouldn't enjoy eosc but I really didn't have any other option..I dont like chem or physics. Turns out I actually enjoyed my classes. You have a choice between taking eosc or geog classes for the eosc component. I highly recommend eosc 326. Anyways try a class or two out and see..maybe you'll like it?

I did the general sciences degree, and got into ubc med a few classes shy of graduating. It's been awhile, but I remember you being able to split the 12 credits required in the alternate discipline. Eg. you do 18 credits upper level bio, then you could do 6 in chem and 6 in eosc. eosc 326 is an easy gpa booster, and there are a few easier chem classes you could take just to get the 6 credits (chem 412 is all memorization pretty much, and i know people take chem 301 and 302 who aren't chem majors and do ok).

hope that helps.

Thanks guyss!! yeah i looked into it and i think doing the 6 and 6 with earth n ocean and chem will work! Its nice to have people like you guys to talk to its hard not having ANY counsellors on campus to go to for help and advice! thanks again for the course suggestions...anyone have more ideas? and congrats to everyone who got in please have your fingers crossed for the rest of us..Its all i think about day n night..:(

Archived