Premed 101 Forums

Question about cGPAs

Hoping for some info/advice.

I am about half-way through my second undergraduate degree in chemical engineering and sitting at a 3.97 gpa.

My first degree is a BScH with a cGPA of 3.41 with my top two years at 3.74 and 3.71 (all depending on which schools are calculating it and how).

Initially, I gave up on applying to medical school because I didn't think my cGPA in my first degree was competitive enough (seems to be accurate) but given my current performance and strong MCAT score 38S (15B/11V/12/P) I am reconsidering.

I don't have many EC's because I paid my way through both my degrees but I do have two papers published (second authorship on both) and excellent references.

My questions are:

a) would I be considered a competitive applicant with limited EC's?

B) how does the cGPA work, do they include my first degree or only look at my second degree?

c) am I required to finish my second degree before I can apply or can I apply next year (my third of four)?

Thanks for your help

cheers

First your work IS a EC. Don't discount it. I work full time and can draw all kinds of experiences from that I think at least would make me a better doctor. Use it to your advantage if you can.

Most schools look at both degrees, and compute the overall GPA.

Most schools want you to be in your 4th year during the application cycle, ie I am right now in fourth year and have interviews, and applied last fall.

Yeah, that is kick ass MCAT score, and a kick ass GPA on the second degree.

I would think you would be a strong candiate at some schools that do not consider cGPA. Western, Ottawa, Queens, Dalhousie etc....

You are on the right track I think! Get some hospital EC it at all possible to elminate that as an issue.

Hoping for some info/advice.

I am about half-way through my second undergraduate degree in chemical engineering and sitting at a 3.97 gpa.

My first degree is a BScH with a cGPA of 3.41 with my top two years at 3.74 and 3.71 (all depending on which schools are calculating it and how).

Initially, I gave up on applying to medical school because I didn't think my cGPA in my first degree was competitive enough (seems to be accurate) but given my current performance and strong MCAT score 38S (15B/11V/12/P) I am reconsidering.

I don't have many EC's because I paid my way through both my degrees but I do have two papers published (second authorship on both) and excellent references.

My questions are:

a) would I be considered a competitive applicant with limited EC's?

B) how does the cGPA work, do they include my first degree or only look at my second degree?

c) am I required to finish my second degree before I can apply or can I apply next year (my third of four)?

Thanks for your help

cheers

Thanks, I will be sure to try and get the hospital experience.

So to reiterate:

1. Most schools will average out all of my years of undergraduate work so if I continue at my current pace, I am looking at a 3.75-3.8 cGPA.

2. I can't apply in my third year even though this is my second undergraduate degree because schools generally require you to be in the fourth year your degree when you apply.

Well, I guess I will see you all in fall 2010. Good luck.

Sounds about right!

Now I should mention that I only covered Ontario schools really. I am not sure if a cGPA of 3.75ish will get you into schools in other provinces.

but as I said you are on track for 2010. good luck!

Thanks, I will be sure to try and get the hospital experience.

So to reiterate:

1. Most schools will average out all of my years of undergraduate work so if I continue at my current pace, I am looking at a 3.75-3.8 cGPA.

2. I can't apply in my third year even though this is my second undergraduate degree because schools generally require you to be in the fourth year your degree when you apply.

Well, I guess I will see you all in fall 2010. Good luck.

Archived