Premed 101 Forums

They are out!!!

Is it BEST two years or latest two years? I'm pretty sure it's the latter, correct me if I'm wrong. Nevertheless, congrats on the interview!

I'm starting to think I must've bombed my essay considering I haven't heard back from UofT or Dal yet...

Thanks imagine!

You may be right about the latest two years thing. My latest 2 happen to be my best so its all the same lol ;)

Word on the street is that there are still a bunch of invites to go out. Don't know if they are OOP or IP or both.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
does anyone know for certain how much the essay is worth this year? I think I really killed that component (about 100 hours total went into those 1500 words, hahaha). Hopefully at least 10 of the 100?

So, I got this from an old post, and have no idea how accurate/up-to-date it is. Meme me wrote it awhile ago:

"A complete breakdown of weighting in previous years:

Academic: /30 (MCAT, GPA, discretion factor)

Supplemental: /30 (Extra-curriculars, jobs, volunteer work, medically related experience, essay)

References: /15

Interview: /25

As previously mentioned, this could change a bit this year because of the reference change."

Even if it's not really that accurate anymore, it shows that the essay/autobiographical info. is v. imp. once you have an interview. I imagine that means that it is also v. important to get one! :)

That seems right to me...The only changes that Dr. Sutton eluded to when I met with her last summer were that instead of GPA/MCAT being 13/12.. it was going to go 15/10. And that at that time they were considering taking all the points from reference letters and putting them onto the interview. So interviews would be 40% this year. References would just be used to tie break- maybe add bonus points if they were really outstanding. When I met with her, (early July) it seemed to be still up in the air- but that was where they were headed.

So, I got this from an old post, and have no idea how accurate/up-to-date it is. Meme me wrote it awhile ago:

Supplemental: /30 (Extra-curriculars, jobs, volunteer work, medically related experience, essay)

As previously mentioned, this could change a bit this year because of the reference change."

Even if it's not really that accurate anymore, it shows that the essay/autobiographical info. is v. imp. once you have an interview. I imagine that means that it is also v. important to get one! :)

Now take this with a grain of salt, but I heard second hand from a few friends currently in med school at dal, that they've changed the scoring and that the interview is "well over a third of your application". If true, then all the scoring has been revised.

I am going to assume that I won't be receiving an interview as I still haven't heard anything. It does suck that I might have to wait until the end of the month to be officially denied when I was expecting to find out either way on Feb. 9th.

Oh well, what are you going to do? It's a seller's market.

Good luck to all those who were lucky enough to get an interview and hopefully those who didn't have interviews at other schools.

This has changed for this year. The interview would be worth 50% this year, and the reference letters are worth 0%..they are only used as flags.

When I met with Dr. Sutton this summer they were current considering the following breakdown:

Supplemental Section (essay, ecs, work experience, etc.) - 30%

GPA- 15%

MCAT- 10%

Academic Discretion (I've heard this is MSc, PhDs, Publications, additional courses, working during school semesters, etc.) - 5%

Interview- 40%

References- 0%- (tie breakers, flags)

Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but is the most recent I've heard.

When I met with Dr. Sutton this summer they were current considering the following breakdown:

Supplemental Section (essay, ecs, work experience, etc.) - 30%

GPA- 15%

MCAT- 10%

Academic Discretion (I've heard this is MSc, PhDs, Publications, additional courses, working during school semesters, etc.) - 5%

Interview- 40%

References- 0%- (tie breakers, flags)

Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but is the most recent I've heard.

Seems about inline from what I've heard from friends at Dal Med.

Does anyone know how many people they're interviewing for how many seats? Similar to last year err..?

Provincial breakdown looks like this:

21 students will be from NB

7 students will be from PE

62 students will be from NS

8 students from outside the Maritimes

Stats for the class of 2012

Total Applicants – 688

Maritime applicants – 311

Eligible – interviewed - 239 – 89 positions offered

Ineligible / non-competitive – 72

Non-Maritime applicants – 377

Eligible – 250 – 60 interviewed – 9 positions offered