Premed 101 Forums

Admission Breakdown

They are intentionally vague about how they score post interview. They do not reveal any specifics.

Thats actually sweet though. I didn't know if the pre-interview score counted in the total file review. I wish I was one of those lucky people who accidentally didn't get invited to interview but were later invited because they noticed their score met the cutoff. They already have an idea of where they stand. I'd be so interested in knowing my pre-interview score...

uh..I don't know what 70% converts to gpa-wise...it's not just a straight conversion, lower marks pull it down more than high marks pull it up

I know that all of the OOPs I know that were interviewed are grad students....I think this might be something ubc looks for...

Thanks Monster..when you say 70% that would be around a 3.2 GPA?..What do the look for in their applicants..ie mature students, experiences, ec, etc...

This site is so so wonderful for me...would never have thought of applying outside of Ontario

at the dean's briefing one of the speakers mentioned your score was out of 100. Pre-interview was 25/25 split but post interview how is it calculated?

i looked at the website but they dont post any numbers.

I wonder if the split is:

25 AQ

25 NAQ

25 Interview

25 reference letters

The numbers seem to work out nicely?

I agree with Monster. We don't know and will likely never know.

As an aside... I doubt reference letters would be weighed as heavily as interviews. With the onset of FOIP, reference letters may not be as critical or honest as they once may have been because of the risk of applicants requesting to view the letters afterwards.

I wonder if the split is:

25 AQ

25 NAQ

25 Interview

25 reference letters

The numbers seem to work out nicely?

This is how they do it. They generate an overall score for each candidate. I believe that the interview makes up a substantial portion (around 50%) of this composite score.

Then, starting with the "best" candidate, the admissions panel begin evaluating each candidate on a holistic basis. They have a discussion regarding whether this candidate, based on his or her essay and the other information available to them, would make a good doctor.

At this point they are looking for both positive and negative traits that can potentially enhance or jeopardize the candidate's capacity to be an effective doctor. There are also several flags that they use.

Did a referee write write something seriously unbecoming about the candidate? Strike. Did the candidate score extremely low on an MCAT section? Strike. Did the candidate receive terrible scores on the interview? Strike.

For local students, they are aiming to shortlist one student for every student they reject. The first 250 students get offers, the rest 50 odd students get waitlisted.

You write with such authority -- do you know this as fact, or is this just your best educated guess? I agree that that's probably somewhat like the process they have, but I kinda think that everyone's given a number (NAQ, AQ, interview), and applicants who score extremely high are not really debated by the panel unless there's some sort of egregious red flag raised in their application (which seems unlikely for most applicants). Applicants who score in the middle have their applications more comprehensively reviewed, and there are probably advocates on the committee who push for certain students. Students who fall lower on the spectrum, probably don't have much of a chance, unless there's something extremely remarkable about them.

For local students, they are aiming to shortlist one student for every student they reject. The first 250 students get offers, the rest 50 odd students get waitlisted.

Speaking of waiting lists, does anyone here know how many applicants are placed on the oop waiting list?

Speaking of waiting lists, does anyone here know how many applicants are placed on the oop waiting list?

Based on published statistics, 49 OOP applicants interviewed for up to 12 spots, and from 2006-2008 anywhere from 6-21 students declined offer of acceptance. So it seems like at least 30 or so students, if not more, will be placed on the OOP waitlist (meaning that unless you really screwed up your interview, or have terrible references, you should either get an acceptance or be placed on the waitlist). Movement off the waitlist, obviously, is entirely dependent on the number of OOP students who decline UBC's offer of acceptance. Odds seem pretty sweet for OOP applicants invited for interview, especially considering that in 2007, of the 41 OOP applicants interviewed, 31 were offered admission to UBC med.

Archived