Premed 101 Forums

BC Naturopaths imminent to have power to prescribe/order labs/image/minor surgery

I agree with everything AS wrote.

As for ethanre, you have no idea if any of us have researched naturopathy. I actually wanted to be a naturopath several years back. I researched their claims so I could debate others using their scientific evidence...but I quickly found that there is no supporting evidence and often strongly refuting evidence.

As you told us to research things, I will do the same. 1) research the placebo effect and 2) actually research naturopathy yourself - as you are advocating it.

And here is one explanation as to why I dismiss your personal anecdote in favour of actual evidence:

Evaluating Personal Experiences

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eh.. I've had these discussions for years with people like you. It is tiring.

I know from personal experience and from countless people I know, who were let down by the mainstream medicine.

We can debate for ever, and my time is too valuable to waste debating, neither I or you will change out opinions.

Read this: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/11/26/death-by-medicine-part-one.aspx

eh.. I've had these discussions for years with people like you. It is tiring.[/Quote]

Sorry, I didn't know that you came here to post your nonsense unopposed.

No thanks. The lead author advocates that he is the world's leading HIV/AIDS denier. The harm he has caused may appeal to you, but honestly you should be ashamed of promoting such people.

Any particular reason you felt the need to post that three times? NDs are certainly useful for those with a vague sense of unease or a touch of the nerves or just more money than sense, but I look forward to some peer-reviewed studies suggesting the efficacy of "naturopathic" treatment. You're not going to start promoting homeopathy at this point, right?

You quoted "That Mitchell & Webb Look: Homeopathy A&E" there!

I came here to speak up my mind, which is my right. You can bash me all you like, you are all skilled at bashing others, I know. That's why I refuse to engage in a pointless argument. Speaking up my mind is however not pointless.

I think people that are complaining about NDs getting more legal rights are simply afraid of competition. You are afraid of my opinion as well.

Your tone, your attitudes, are why I joined here to offer my opinion, some balance, a different opinion in your safe-space forum. To offer you you a different perspective. Someone might benefit.

Medical doctors need to be humbled, and understand their limitations, and mistakes. You act like gods, yet medicine in the US is pathetic, chronic disease is on the rise, autoimmune disease on the rise, obesity on the rise, cancers, etc.. and most MDs treat the symptoms but not the cause of the symptoms. You even hate it when someone says to treat the cause because that takes more effort and usually does not involve pharmaceuticals. Medicine is not about targeting diseases and organs, the body is not like a car, everything is interconnected, you need to restore the body's ability to heal itself. How do you do that? by digging deeper, changing diet, fixing deficiencies and toxicity etc.. You need to investigate each patient and dig deeper, not simply offer a drug to reduce the symptoms.

There's a lot of miss-info amongst allopathic doctors. For instance, acupuncture does work to control pain. Iodine is actually healthy (not like they teach you in your schools), Fluoride is a poison, sugar is a poison, artificial sugars are poisons, not all protein is the same, not all fat is the same, antioxidants work, probiotics work, chelation works, heavy metals are toxic, root canals are toxic, you can heal multiple disorders with herbs and orthomolecular medicine.. But you guys dont care to learn about any of this, because you are drug experts, all you learn is pharmacology, not nutrition or diet for healing. If it wasn't for drugs (pharmaceuticals) you'd be Naturopathic doctors by definition. Naturally, you want to retain your exclusive rights to prescribe drugs, but more importantly I suspect the real threat is legal recognition and thus insurance coverage to ND doctors, that will take clients away from you, since most people go to the doctor that heir insurance covers.

Naturally, you criticize anything and everything that doenst use pharmaceuticals or surgery, because these play a major role in modern medicine.

I've spoken to multiple MDs and DOs, who have 20+ yrs of experience, after working for years, they finally figured the limitations of allopathic medicine and now practice like NDs, they do not accept insurance and only Rx as a last resort, they dig deeper to offer real solutions and allow the body to heal. They use nutrition and other approaches to healing. These people are busy as heck and charge a lot of money, because they are in demand and what they do works.

Many PhDs and researchers discover the benefits of nutrition, and their science shows many contradictions to what allopathic doctors teach their patients. Allopathic doctors follow their books, and their books and even some lecturers come or are influenced by pharmaceuticals. They treat based on what the insurance companies tell them they can do, allowing the corporations to dictate how they treat patients.

I am writing this to offer the very few of you an incentive to go and research nutrition, research iodine deficiency (David Brownstein), magnesium deficiency, research protein, research sea salt vs. unrefined celtic sea salt, research how the govt issued diet pyramid is lacking, research the power of vitamins and minerals in restoring the body's ability to heal itself. Research how amalgam, fluoride, MSG, heavy metals, plastics, artificial flavors and coloring cause diseases. How they impact the thyroid, etc.. Understand the difference between grass-fed beef and grain-fed, the effects of pesticides, the list goes on and on... They don't talk about nay of this in med school. In fact they teach you to be scared of iodine, afraid of herbs, and that fluoride, bromine, heavy metals, while bad that they don't cause any concerns.

Research the works of Mercola, Brownstien, Jonathan Wright, Barnes, Ray Peat, Ayers, etc etc... Or simply google a private doctor in your city, who does not accept insurance and treats chronic and hard-to-treat conditions. See what they think, why they are able to treat difficult conditions, why they use chelation and supplementation, bioidentical hormones, and learn from their experience. Maybe you will change your opinion then about allopathic medicine and medical education.

Investigate groups like: ACAM, ICIM, AHMA, ABIHM, IFM, Functional medicine, and the American Board of Holistic medicine.

I gotta go now, just want to say, this article is not written for those who are not open to considering something new to them, something not coming from a text book.

like I said my time is limited and I'm not here to debate with someone who is not interested in learning something new, if you are not ready to open your eyes and learn outside the allopathic box, then what I wrote here is not for you, simply ignore it. If you on the other hand are frustrated about the shortcomings of allopathic medicine, then start to research the things I mentioned. Figure out what many seasoned physicians discover after many years of practice.

I know you really want to help people heal, I don't fault you. I fault the education system / medical schools along with pharmaceuticals companies and insurance companies.

To a better future, for all.

I think people that are complaining about NDs getting more legal rights are simply afraid of competition. You are afraid of my opinion as well.

I don't know that "fear" is really the right way I feel about your opinion.

Medical doctors need to be humbled, and understand their limitations, and mistakes. You act like gods, yet medicine in the US is pathetic, chronic disease is on the rise, autoimmune disease on the rise, obesity on the rise, cancers, etc.. and most MDs treat the symptoms but not the cause of the symptoms. You even hate it when someone says to treat the cause because that takes more effort and usually does not involve pharmaceuticals. Medicine is not about targeting diseases and organs, the body is not like a car, everything is interconnected, you need to restore the body's ability to heal itself. How do you do that? by digging deeper, changing diet, fixing deficiencies and toxicity etc.. You need to investigate each patient and dig deeper, not simply offer a drug to reduce the symptoms.

So you'll be treating sepsis or meningitis by dietary interventions? You always treat the cause when (1) it can be identified and (2) it can be treated safely. Most people in North America are not all "deficient" in any significant respect.

There's a lot of miss-info amongst allopathic doctors. For instance, acupuncture does work to control pain. Iodine is actually healthy (not like they teach you in your schools), Fluoride is a poison, sugar is a poison, artificial sugars are poisons, not all protein is the same, not all fat is the same, antioxidants work, probiotics work, chelation works, heavy metals are toxic, root canals are toxic, you can heal multiple disorders with herbs and orthomolecular medicine.. But you guys dont care to learn about any of this, because you are drug experts, all you learn is pharmacology, not nutrition or diet for healing. If it wasn't for drugs (pharmaceuticals) you'd be Naturopathic doctors by definition. Naturally, you want to retain your exclusive rights to prescribe drugs, but more importantly I suspect the real threat is legal recognition and thus insurance coverage to ND doctors, that will take clients away from you, since most people go to the doctor that heir insurance covers.

Iodine is actually fortified into many foods in North America. There is really no reason for supplementation beyond that. Naturopathic doctors who don't understand the least bit of pharmacology or interactions should be not prescribing anything. And around here, provincial insurance covers all physicians.

I've spoken to multiple MDs and DOs, who have 20+ yrs of experience, after working for years, they finally figured the limitations of allopathic medicine and now practice like NDs, they do not accept insurance and only Rx as a last resort, they dig deeper to offer real solutions and allow the body to heal. They use nutrition and other approaches to healing. These people are busy as heck and charge a lot of money, because they are in demand and what they do works.

Nutrition is great. And, really, if people in North America would eat less, more fruits and vegetables, and get more daily physical activity we would achieve improved health at the population level. People would still have heart attacks and strokes, just maybe fewer of them and later in life.

Many PhDs and researchers discover the benefits of nutrition, and their science shows many contradictions to what allopathic doctors teach their patients. Allopathic doctors follow their books, and their books and even some lecturers come or are influenced by pharmaceuticals. They treat based on what the insurance companies tell them they can do, allowing the corporations to dictate how they treat patients.

I can't recall a single time in clerkship where management decisions have been "dictated" by "corporations" or "insurance companies".

I am writing this to offer the very few of you an incentive to go and research nutrition, research iodine deficiency (David Brownstein), magnesium deficiency, research protein, research sea salt vs. unrefined celtic sea salt, research how the govt issued diet pyramid is lacking, research the power of vitamins and minerals in restoring the body's ability to heal itself. Research how amalgam, fluoride, MSG, heavy metals, plastics, artificial flavors and coloring cause diseases. How they impact the thyroid, etc.. Understand the difference between grass-fed beef and grain-fed, the effects of pesticides, the list goes on and on... They don't talk about nay of this in med school. In fact they teach you to be scared of iodine, afraid of herbs, and that fluoride, bromine, heavy metals, while bad that they don't cause any concerns.

Iodine deficiency is bad. And extremely rare in places like Canada and the United States. And if people are clinically hypothyroid, we can supplement the hormone directly.

Research the works of Mercola, Brownstien, Jonathan Wright, Barnes, Ray Peat, Ayers, etc etc... Or simply google a private doctor in your city, who does not accept insurance and treats chronic and hard-to-treat conditions. See what they think, why they are able to treat difficult conditions, why they use chelation and supplementation, bioidentical hormones, and learn from their experience. Maybe you will change your opinion then about allopathic medicine and medical education.

The simple truth is that most people who did not have acute illness are healthy and do not require any kinds of interventions or medications at all, up to and including supplements and entirely non-evidence-based therapies like chelation. Many others have stable chronic diseases which are followed and treated over time.

As far as I'm concerned, this attitude about "chemicals" or "heavy metals" and the necessity of a multitude of supplements betrays some Luddite naturalistic fallacy that we are all "contaminated" by the modern world and must return to some "purer" existence.

There's a lot of miss-info amongst allopathic doctors. For instance, acupuncture does work to control pain. Iodine is actually healthy (not like they teach you in your schools), Fluoride is a poison, sugar is a poison, artificial sugars are poisons, not all protein is the same, not all fat is the same, antioxidants work, probiotics work, chelation works, heavy metals are toxic, root canals are toxic, you can heal multiple disorders with herbs and orthomolecular medicine. But you guys dont care to learn about any of this, because you are drug experts, all you learn is pharmacology, not nutrition or diet for healing.

I understand you are trying to make a point by exaggerating the position that you believe are held by those in mainstream medicine, but I do not think these assumptions about what we know and believe are accurate. Nutrition/diet should always be one of the firstline therapies... pharmaceuticals only when necessary. We all know to cut down on sugar, eat more antioxidants, and stay away from artificial colouring, and as stated, iodized salt exists because it is essential for health.

I'd like to have a primer on naturopathy, answering like not theoretical questions, but more like how they work: For example, I'd like to know how they would treat emergency things ... like, sepsis, or a ruptured appendix. Or open fractures. Or a strangulated hernia.

For all of the "sessions" I have had on alternative medicine, no one has really indicated how those things are treated. The examples usually use are more "benign" like morning sickness in pregnancy.

There just seems to be some things that can be fixed through dietary changes or alignments; but other things, you sort of need surgery for (or it has progressed to the point where you need intervention).

BTW, will they prescribe allopathic medications or holistic medications?

There's a lot of miss-info amongst allopathic doctors. For instance, acupuncture does work to control pain. Iodine is actually healthy (not like they teach you in your schools), Fluoride is a poison, sugar is a poison, artificial sugars are poisons, not all protein is the same, not all fat is the same, antioxidants work, probiotics work, chelation works, heavy metals are toxic...
Your arguments would have a lot more impact if they targeted what doctors actually believe and learn, rather than this dark and wicked straw man you've built for yourself. This is the case with most naturopaths and fans of naturopathy I've met: They support their flakiness not out of any genuine evidence that it works, but out of fear for a boogieman created by a few bad doctors and a lot of televised sensationalism. In your case, your assumptions that doctors somehow believe heavy metals are a-okay, all lipids are created equal, and iodine is a sin just reveals how little you actually know about what is learned in medical school.

Rather than all this wasted breath and energy fighting naturopathy and its dangerous medical revisionism, it'd be nice if we could spend this energy actually working on promoting healthy living, discussing the biochemical effectiveness of herbal medication, and raising public awareness for important things. For you anti-doctor quacks, even lobbying for improvements in regulation of medicine would help. Instead, you are crippling a basically effective system by raising a competitor based on insubstantiated or magical thinking.

I said it before and I'll say it again:

The problem with NDs is that some of them are selling therapies which are unproven, ineffective or frankly dangerous. The following quacks claim the ND designation and are practicing in Canada.

Pragnall ND in Ontario practices classical homeopathy. Can you say Avogadro's number? Or maybe you'd like live blood analysis from Turk ND in Ontario? Feel like some ultraviolet blood irradiation or worse from Ward ND? Or maybe you'd like Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy from Nardella ND in Calgary for completely no reason at all? There are indications for this therapy . . . unless, of course, you're "Dr." Nardella. Maybe you're more in the mood to waste time and money on electrodermal screening via NDs Meier and Kuindersma in Ontario or Tonskamper ND in BC? Or "arterial stiffness" and chelation by Brown ND? And for a little bit of all of the above along with lots of personalized hand-holding, you can check out Fabricus ND whose initial H&P takes, on average, six hours.

And then there's those real sweethearts who do panels of complicated, highly non-specific testing that they couldn't possibly interpret for no particular reason at all (except for the revenue, of course). My example is Ling ND in Toronto who pushes estradiol, progesterone, cortisol and DHEAS as a screen for . . . are you ready for this? Heart disease. And breast cancer. And if you need a link for this, dear med student, you need to study more.

And then there's the money grab that is heavy metal analysis in hair. What are is the normal range for heavy metal in the hair? If an abnormal range is defined, what does an abnormal value mean in the absence of symptoms? Before you start googling like mad, look here.

I suggest the following supplemental readings:

Ed's Guide to Alternative Therapies; see also Quackwatch; definitely check out this article on how to spot pseudoscience!

I came here to speak up my mind, which is my right.

Conspiracy theorists always believe that their rights are being infringed on. This may be a shock to you but web forums can set up whatever rules for posting that they wish. Any ethical medical forum should discourage claims, made as facts, which cannot be substantiated by evidence or lack scientific plausibility. Sometimes nonsense claims kill or permanently harm people. Therefore they should never go unchallenged. Of course there are always people willing to claim that any treatment, no matter how insane, was a miracle cure, but the dead are not around to voice their experiences, and those who delayed real medical treatments to be treated with woo are often too sick or embarrassed to counter your nonsense. You have made a lot of bold, extraordinary claims, but provided not a hint of evidence. Luckily, this is not a forum where desperate people, with little knowledge to counter your lies, are likely to see and be victimized by you. Instead this is a forum where members have generally been taught and understand science and what evidence is, and is not.

You are afraid of my opinion as well.

I respect facts and evidence, not baseless opinions. The only fear I have of opinions like yours is the damage it causes to good people who are victimized.

Your tone, your attitudes, are why I joined here to offer my opinion, some balance, a different opinion in your safe-space forum. To offer you you a different perspective. Someone might benefit.

If you don't provide evidence for your claims then you are wasting your time. You have provided no evidence and I highly doubt you even understand what evidence is.

Medical doctors need to be humbled, and understand their limitations, and mistakes. You act like gods

Medicine is a humbling profession. Those who provide or advocate care based on faith, and not evidence, should not make claims that others like acting like gods.

most MDs treat the symptoms but not the cause of the symptoms.

The sad thing is that because there is no evidence to support most alternative treatments being any more than a placebo means that it is actually your nonsense that is solely treating the symptoms. Homeopathy targets nothing.

For instance, acupuncture does work to control pain.

And the thousand other claims made by alternative medicine about acupuncture?

Iodine is actually healthy (not like they teach you in your schools),

Ummmmm.......iodine has been added to things like salt for a long time. Of course that is different than your beloved Brownstein promoting iodine as a cure all - including for things like cancer.

Fluoride is a poison,

You seem to lack an understanding of basic chemistry.

sugar is a poison,

You seem to lack a basic understanding of what sugar is...and what poison is.

artificial sugars are poisons,

Wouldn't this automatically follow your previous statement?

not all protein is the same, not all fat is the same

OMG!! Somebody call JAMA, the Lancet, and CMAJ. This is brand new information for the medical field.

antioxidants work, probiotics work, chelation works

Define work? For what? Or is this just another typical alternative medicine blanket statement?

And, like many things, properly used, chelation therapy can be effective for actual heavy metal poisoning. However, that doesn't mean that the unjustified, non-evidence based, abuse (including death) alt-meders have caused on defenseless children with autism have been any more than criminal acts.

heavy metals are toxic, root canals are toxic, you can heal multiple disorders with herbs and orthomolecular medicine.

Orthomolecular medicine advocates have preyed on the some of most vulnerable people on the planet. Running around Africa telling people to throw away their HIV/AIDS medicines and replace it with over-priced ultra-high doses of vitamins. Based on no supporting evidence.

I am going to skip over a large chunk of your delusion rant.

Research the works of Mercola,

Mercola promotes an article on his site advocating that you can fulfill your nutritional requirements by staring at the sun. We certainly won't find that in our medical textbooks. As for the rest - they should provide real evidence for their claims. Wright knows how science and research works. He has done legitimate research in the distant past. Which makes it even more odd that he fails to produce any actual evidence to support his current claims.

I gotta go now, just want to say, this article is not written for those who are not open to considering something new to them,

You refer to writing a response on a forum as an article???

I am pretty sure that most people here are open to considering new things. The key is evidence. If someone wants to be a doctor then they understand that they owe it to their patients to provide care that is based on science and evidence. What you are advocating is that they 1) experiment on patients. 2) Lie about the legitimacy of the treatments they give. 3) Abandon evidence for nonsense written on websites.

There is a saying that "it is good to be open-minded, but not so open-minded that your brain falls out." I would like to say that you are so open-minded that your brain fell out, but that would be giving you too much credit. You are not open-minded. You are completely accepting of woo and completely closed to evidence.

if you are not ready to open your eyes and learn outside the allopathic box, then what I wrote here is not for you, simply ignore it.

I will not ignore people that make dangerous medical claims.

I know you really want to help people heal, I don't fault you.

Combining wanting to help heal people with profound ignorance and a belief that nonsense works is very dangerous.

I think my favourites there include "live blood analysis" and Brown ND's Cardiovision, which apparently can detect shock, arrhythmia, and "potential" heart failure.

Does that mean it can detect cardiogenic shock in outpatients?

PS Your CaRMS applicant timeline is giving ME an arrhythmia.

BTW, will they prescribe allopathic medications or holistic medications?

I have the same question....I recently had a phlebotomy session and the tech was telling me about the running joke in their lab, which is one of the naturopaths in town ordering ALL THE TESTS ON THE REQ. FOR EVERYONE. She said she had a guy come in with a req from that doctor and when he saw the 27 tubes and 2-meter long sheet of labels she had set out for collection, he was flabbergasted.

My reaction is, ok, first off, let's just ignore the fact that there's absolutely no need to order every test on the req for everyone (that's at least $2000 in charges for the government - and this isn't even an acutely ill individual).....just exactly WHAT is this naturopath going to do if one of these tests come back abnormal? Like, what if that fellow actually has diabetes? Is he just going to send him on his way with some goji juice?

WHAT is this naturopath going to do if one of these tests come back abnormal? Like, what if that fellow actually has diabetes? Is he just going to send him on his way with some goji juice?

^ I think it's funny that a naturopath needs to find evidence of disease (hence lab tests) before prescribing substances with little evidence of working.

Why bother ordering lab tests at all? (maybe it's because it gives an illusion of legitimacy)

If you don't need evidence to prescribe a substance, why do you need evidence to diagnose a disease?

To be fair, there are some aspects of medicine that may not necessarily be evidence-based, but at least we operate in a system that values evidence and subjects treatments to on-going clinical trials, scientific scrutiny, and peer review.

Naturopaths should not be allowed to refer patients for any investigations since they lack training to know which are indicated under what circumstances. There are enough unnecessary tests ordered by actual MDs that it is a wholly unjustifiable public expense. Furthermore, these quacks do not spend a second doing any kind of clinical clerkship during which they will be exposed to the care of seriously ill patients, and I have serious doubts that their "training" meets any kind of objective rigour.

Driving off a hypothetical discussion a friend and I were having about this:

How would folk feel about allowing naturopaths limited prescribing power only on the condition that they'd completed a 1-2 year certification program in pharmacology, and perhaps some apprenticeship in the field? Or, similarly, a program in radiology/pathology before gaining the ability to order lab tests and imaging?

To my mind, that would be a fairly acceptable solution to the issue of people with no qualifications whatsoever abusing a system they don't even slightly understand. It's an improvement over the current system, which has people going to what are essentially shamanistic medicine-men. Of course, taken to the extreme, it would basically require that naturopaths complete medical school in order to gain powers equivalent to a doctor... which actually seems kinda reasonable. I may not believe in what they do, but I think a naturopath with a proper education and residency experience is far less likely to foolishly harm his/her patients.

one of the naturopaths in town ordering ALL THE TESTS ON THE REQ. FOR EVERYONE

The lab should require the ND to pay upfront for all tests. That'd cut down on fishing.

Even if legislation in BC says that the NDs can order the test, the health region gets to decide what is required for their labs to process the sample. Like, say, an MD's signature . . . .

Driving off a hypothetical discussion a friend and I were having about this:

How would folk feel about allowing naturopaths limited prescribing power only on the condition that they'd completed a 1-2 year certification program in pharmacology, and perhaps some apprenticeship in the field? Or, similarly, a program in radiology/pathology before gaining the ability to order lab tests and imaging?

To my mind, that would be a fairly acceptable solution to the issue of people with no qualifications whatsoever abusing a system they don't even slightly understand. It's an improvement over the current system, which has people going to what are essentially shamanistic medicine-men. Of course, taken to the extreme, it would basically require that naturopaths complete medical school in order to gain powers equivalent to a doctor... which actually seems kinda reasonable. I may not believe in what they do, but I think a naturopath with a proper education and residency experience is far less likely to foolishly harm his/her patients.

The thing is that there's a problem at the most fundamental level. NDs believe in things that aren't backed by evidence and are adamant about proposing such treatments as viable ones, so how can they be offered things like training programs and apprenticeships that go against the theories of their own quackery? A training program on evidence-based pharmacognosy or pharmacology is going to go against their traditional beliefs regarding herbalism. If they want to prescribe evidence-based medicine and order tests to support diagnoses through evidence, then they should've applied to med school.

Well, strictly speaking they are still imaging and laboratory requisitions, as in requests.

Not all MDs can request all tests in any case - family physicians cannot in general request MRIs here, for example.

My family Doc can requisition an MRI and has done so several times for me.

Archived