Premed 101 Forums

BC Naturopaths imminent to be granted prescribing power/minor surgery/lab/imaging

smile

on a related (although not as controversial) note on the slow demise of family medicine:

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/02/20/nurse-practitioner.html

Like you said not as controversial - nurses have heaven forbid actual real medical training :)

I think as long as the serious doctor shortage continues it is only natural for these alternatives to continue to pop up everywhere. The situation as it stands is just not sustainable.

Like you said not as controversial - nurses have heaven forbid actual real medical training :)

I think as long as the serious doctor shortage continues it is only natural for these alternatives to continue to pop up everywhere. The situation as it stands is just not sustainable.

It's less controversial than NP, but it's still bad. I think they will be great for routine visits for people wanting contraception or for UTIs, but anything more than that and they're starting to risk letting some serious pathology go unnoticed at the risk of patient safety.

It's less controversial than NP, but it's still bad. I think they will be great for routine visits for people wanting contraception or for UTIs, but anything more than that and they're starting to risk letting some serious pathology go unnoticed at the risk of patient safety.

The problem is the flip side. The "we might miss something" is the standard (and logical) response to anyone but a fully trained doctor doing an examination. The problem is there aren't enough full trained doctors, and there aren't going to be for a VERY long time, so things are being missed because NO ONE is looking at a big, big part of the population. And it will get worse - Even now doctors are retiring at a rate faster than training, we have serious shortage already, demand is going to increase, health care budgets are stretched to the maximum with year over year increases at rates higher than inflation (and therefore demanding more and more of the tax base)........etc No one is going to wave a magic wand, I much as I really wish they could, and create a huge number of additional doctors :(

How many serious pathologies go unnoticed because it impossible to 1) get an actual doctors appointment in a timely fashion and 2) about 20% of us cannot get a family doctor? How many people die because of it, or are seriously injured?

We have a choice to make - risk some pathologies going unnoticed by some lessor trained professional body (but please not the naturopaths, oh please) or risk pathologies going unnoticed because they aren't seen at all. We can take steps to minimize the damage by either choice but I don't think we can avoid making one sooner or later.

We have a choice to make - risk some pathologies going unnoticed by some lessor trained professional body (but please not the naturopaths, oh please) or risk pathologies going unnoticed because they aren't seen at all. We can take steps to minimize the damage by either choice but I don't think we can avoid making one sooner or later.

It's not a case of just missing stuff but a case doing harm with wrong diagnoses and inappropriate treatment even with correct diagnoses, e.g. garlic and herbs is a flavour of cheese dip not an HIV therapy.

It's not a case of just missing stuff but a case doing harm with wrong diagnoses and inappropriate treatment even with correct diagnoses, e.g. garlic and herbs is a flavour of cheese dip not an HIV therapy.

Precisely why I don't think naturopaths should be treating things like a doctor does :) I am still in shock they would even consider that. A well trained nurse is at least an entirely different category.

And garlic and herbs is most excellent on warm fresh bagels as well.

Archived