Premed 101 Forums

Reference Form P/F

Just to clarify:

The reference forms are pass/fail right? As long as I have good scores, it's all good?

I just ask because for the front page, where it asks how long you've known the applicant and how well you know the applicant, my referees couldn't put that long (1-2 years or <1 years) and I don't know how well they would write they know me (ie: professor I worked with at lab.. how well do they really know me?).

Technically I could go ask some family friends or go back to high school or something (since Sask says both are fine) which could write longer, but I would prefer not to.

Pass/fail was my understanding, yes.

I'm also curious as to whether the questions in the Sask MMI will be a bit atypical, as we did not have to provide any information on our non-academic background. From what I have heard about other MMIs there was not much of an opportunity to bring your specific life experiences into your answers - it was more knowledge and ethics based questions. Maybe I should just start another thread that no-one else will view... :D

• 1 month later...

Having carefully mulled over the admission info available from the U of S, I wouldn't endorse the pass/fail treatment of the references.

Here (http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/admissions/admissions-information/criteria-for-selection/) they say that "C. Personal qualities are assessed primarily by interview." - not necessarily only by the interviews.

Also, "F. Candidates for Medicine are selected by the Admissions Committee of the College of Medicine on the basis of rank order of competitiveness and consideration of information pertinent to individual applicants." It is here where the references might chip in a bit of their weight into the consideration.

Does anyone have anything to add to this?

how do references come into play for OOP applicants, considering interview is worth 100% towards selection?

Wouldn't mind knowing this myself :) My main reference from school was involved in a ski accident last week, and is a no show for the next 8 weeks, and didn't send off the form yet. I am not sure how serious an impact that will cause!

They report applicant's MMI performance in deciles. Do you think they operate with exact numbers? I don't know...

Yes Ziola said that there is variation within a decile.

Also, I read somewhere explicitly on the site that the reference forms were p/f, subsequent to making this post.

I don't think we need to overthink the system. If they say 100% interview or 75/25, it's that. Sask isn't complicated; they're quite transparent.

Archived