Premed 101 Forums

UWO Interviews

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. You will get in if you're qualified. Don't worry about other ppl. Plus, few of my friends got in to several places even with score transfers. I'm thinking about transfering my score this year too. I think interviewing during exam period is too much pressure anyways, so I rather not risk it.

contach, are you the "contach" from SDN?

if so, relax, you have more or less perfect stats,

I know that most ppl who are were given alternative interviews didn't make the final cut after the interviews.

Just curious...what are your stats Contach? You seem pretty well-informed about dentistry and the application process so I'm assuming you've worked pretty hard over the years to get in.

Dr cool: thank you.

septolete: yes, i am Contach on SDN, and predents. I wish I had perfect stats.... There's a lot of subjectivity involved in this process, and I'm trying to preserve not only my odds, but also the rest of the applicants' odds who have received interviews. I'm trying to help, but as ~~~SYX is demonstrating, some people are too dense to realize this.

~~~SYX: you have missed my point completely. I am not refuting the fact that you can't get in if you transfer your scores. Of course, if you transfer your scores, you still have a shot. Especially if you did well on your previous CDA interview. However, how do you know you did well? There is no way to get your score from any school. So, by attending a second CDA interview, your performance can only increase and your raw score is likely to increase, if not stay the same. If we all thought like you, and we all transferred our scores then the people who got interviews will double. Do you want to be competing with more people than you need to??? What if these applicants who you let in to interview get perfect interview scores (because maybe they will practice 100 x harder because they realize they are already at a deficit in terms of marks/GPA), well the interview mark makes up 25% of UWO's final decision... Are you comfortable competing with a perfect interview score? Suddenly your good DAT score that landed you the interview (involved in 15% of the decision for admission at this point in time) is overshadowed by the new interviewee's interview score. Good luck.

HermeyTheElf: I'm happy with my "stats." BUTTTT, there's a lot of luck (and bad luck) involved in applying, and while I may be worried about my own scores, i'm also trying to help others realize what I know. This is my first year applying to dental schools. I may have put more time into reading these forums, and SDN and thus I may seem to understand a bit more of the process.

Yes practice should help with interviews, but if you feel one went well then transfering could be a good idea. I have a friend who interviewed at Toronto and felt really good about it and then interviewed at Western a few weeks later and said it went terrible.....needless to say, he got into Toronto and not Western. Basically, everyone needs to just worry about themselves...yes it is close to finals, so transferring could be a good idea to decrease stress/travel expenses, etc....but if you feel you could do better at Western's b/c of the gained experience then go to your interview.

No I understand your point completely. You're worried by the statistical chance reduction when waitlisters are invited due to score transfer. And yes nobody can be confident in exactly how well they did in their previous interviews, I personally will transfer because I have lots of assignments/presentations in early april. But think about how many ppl are invited even when waitlisters don't come into the game, its probably still above 220 ppl for a class of 52. To be honest I think its really a matter of luck at the very end. It's like buying a lottery, just because the odds of winning is high, it still depends on how lucky I am. Working your ass off to keep the waitlisters out will increase chance of admission statistically, but based on such a high number of competitors already going (and that you don't know how they will perform in the interview), it really won't have that great impact at the end, that's all I'm saying.

Yes practice should help with interviews, but if you feel one went well then transfering could be a good idea. I have a friend who interviewed at Toronto and felt really good about it and then interviewed at Western a few weeks later and said it went terrible.....needless to say, he got into Toronto and not Western. Basically, everyone needs to just worry about themselves...yes it is close to finals, so transferring could be a good idea to decrease stress/travel expenses, etc....but if you feel you could do better at Western's b/c of the gained experience then go to your interview.

Do you believe in collaboration?

I really hope you aren't in my class next year... wherever that may be.

No I understand your point completely. You're worried by the statistical chance reduction when waitlisters are invited due to score transfer. And yes nobody can be confident in exactly how well they did in their previous interviews, I personally will transfer because I have lots of assignments/presentations in early april. But think about how many ppl are invited even when waitlisters don't come into the game, its probably still above 220 ppl for a class of 52. To be honest I think its really a matter of luck at the very end. It's like buying a lottery, just because the odds of winning is high, it still depends on how lucky I am. Working your ass off to keep the waitlisters out will increase chance of admission statistically, but based on such a high number of competitors already going (and that you don't know how they will perform in the interview), it really won't have that great impact at the end, that's all I'm saying.

Yes, the "odds of winning the lottery are high." I hope that works well for you.

I'm saying that your individual choice to transfer scores may only let one person in, but if your actions encourage others to transfer scores then suddenly, it's not just an extra 1 or 2 people added to the 220 (or whatever), but instead, it could be 50, 100, maybe 150 more people competing.. Now we are competing against 270, 320 or 370 students? When all this could have been avoided if individuals (like yourself) understood that their collective individual actions make a BIG difference. I still don't think you understand this crucial point.

Yes, the "odds of winning the lottery are high." I hope that works well for you.

I'm saying that your individual choice to transfer scores may only let one person in, but if your actions encourage others to transfer scores then suddenly, it's not just an extra 1 or 2 people added to the 220 (or whatever), but instead, it could be 50, 100, maybe 150 more people competing.. Now we are competing against 270, 320 or 370 students? When all this could have been avoided if individuals (like yourself) understood that their collective individual actions make a BIG difference. I still don't think you understand this crucial point.

I'm not saying odds of winning lottery is high, I'm saying that even if it is adverstised as being high, it doesn't make much difference because it depends on your luck. Plus, only ~20 ppl got off the waitlist in the last 2 years according to Trish, so no your hypothetical competition against >270 students will never happen. I just think it's unethical for your to encourage others to not send scores mainly just as a method to keep the waitlisters off. My brother got into med school after being waitlisted for more than 2 month, so I know how its feels. You do whatever you like and as you said, i'll do whatever i like, none of us needs to make mass movement. And lastly, I think you are the only person I've ever heard of who has been so frustrated at this issue, so I guess all of the applicants who have got invites must be much less intelligent than you.

I'm not saying odds of winning lottery is high, I'm saying that even if it is adverstised as being high, it doesn't make much difference because it depends on your luck. Plus, only ~20 ppl got off the waitlist in the last 2 years according to Trish, so no your hypothetical competition against >270 students will never happen. I just think it's unethical for your to encourage others to not send scores mainly just as a method to keep the waitlisters off. My brother got into med school after being waitlisted for more than 2 month, so I know how its feels. You do whatever you like and as you said, i'll do whatever i like, none of us needs to make mass movement. And lastly, I think you are the only person I've ever heard of who has been so frustrated at this issue, so I guess all of the applicants who have got invites must be much less intelligent than you.

well said!

Actually Contach...I believe in trying to give everyone the chance at obtaining their dreams....not trying to tell people to do whatever it takes to stop them from transferring their scores so that those on the waitlist have no shot....what I mean by people worrying about themselves is doing what they think is right for them...not YOU having better odds statistically-speaking....Further, I never understand why people post negative remarks about not wanting to be in a program with someone you've never met...particularly when I was under the assumption that this forum is about helping each other and trying to give positive advice...Personally Contach, I wish you success...as I do myself...and everyone else on here!

IMO the people who are getting in off the waitlist now are probably filling the spots of people who are no longer considering UWO. For example, maybe they already got into McGill or UBC and accepted there instead. I'm assuming there are a fair amount of people doing that, moreso than those transferring their scores.

I can understand both side of the situation.

For some, it might not be the first time they are applying, and feel that this is the only chance, i guess hypothetically speaking, if it is a true random event, you decrease the chance of acceptance by 0.09%.

But ultimately the purpose of this forum of the vision of Ian is to provide supports and helpful information for students who want to pursue medicine (mainly) and dentistry from Canadian undergrads.

Anyways, Good luck on the first april weekend for those who are invited. Just relax. And try not to talk too much! Seriously.

________

SWED

Hi all,

Just received my interview email today. 2nd year applying so hopefully all goes well this time! Congrats to all the interviewees.

A few things:

I wrote the physiology challenge exam last year and I definitely recommend to those writing the test to take the time to register for your interview early to ensure that you aren't taking the test and conducting the interview on the same day. Last year it was on a Saturday, so make sure you find a Sunday slot for your interview.

Also Contach, you mentioned that Phm program gets 7 extra points? Didn't quite understand that...

And finally, does anyone know about any dentistry interview prep courses?

Hey dent5

I just signed up for this http://www.eliteinterview.com course on CDA style interview preparation (dont know much about it) and bought the book with questions by "Star" I think (dont have it yet), dont know how much help they will be, but that's all I have to contribute. I really really hope I get in. This is way stressful than exams at this point. Im dreaming CDA questions...

ps. What's up with all the fighting people? We're not even in yet...and competition is already to a max. These posts do make my day though...so keep on talking people. Its like the new Facebook for me :)

Cheers

Hey dent5

I just signed up for this http://www.eliteinterview.com course on CDA style interview preparation (dont know much about it) and bought the book with questions by "Star" I think (dont have it yet), dont know how much help they will be, but that's all I have to contribute. I really really hope I get in. This is way stressful than exams at this point. Im dreaming CDA questions...

ps. What's up with all the fighting people? We're not even in yet...and competition is already to a max. These posts do make my day though...so keep on talking people. Its like the new Facebook for me :)

Cheers

lol I smell another marketeer

I'm trying to educate people here and have no bias towards people on the waitlist.

As Contach said you're doing yourself a disfavor by not attending your interview and opening up spot for more competition.

It's simple guys, if you don't know the math I do it for you:

50/250 = 1 out of 5 in

50/350 = 1 out of 7 in

Don't mess up with your future for 200$ extra.

Be sharp! be educated!

lol I smell another marketeer

Maybe you should stop smelling than dude... what am I advertising? The course or the book? Or both? Actually what they did is they are paying for my tuition for all 4 years if I go on here and advertise...its a sweet deal you should try it. I haven't been on here long enough but if feels as though most people on these forums try to start fights. Forget about trying to be friendly on these posts... this is my last post!! Whoever said it on this forum said it right... its everyone for themselves it appears.

Cheers and good luck to all those that deserve it

Maybe you should stop smelling than dude... what am I advertising? The course or the book? Or both? Actually what they did is they are paying for my tuition for all 4 years if I go on here and advertise...its a sweet deal you should try it. I haven't been on here long enough but if feels as though most people on these forums try to start fights. Forget about trying to be friendly on these posts... this is my last post!! Whoever said it on this forum said it right... its everyone for themselves it appears.

not trying to pick a fight man...just saying that based on your all 3 posts before responding to me which seemed quite generic...sorry if they weren't meant to be

Not trying to start a fight. But the forum rules are that you are not allow to advertise if you are involved with the business. ppl were just getting suspicious about your post (being new and all of your posts were about this program)...

________

Isetta

Archived