Premed 101 Forums

UWO Interviews

As only the RC + GPA is listed as the cutoff in the letter, have they tallied the AA score yet? i.e. Is the interview the only thing left to distinguish the more or less equal candidates in the interview pool, or can we still rank high enough with a good AA to get in if we don't interview well? I know the interview is worth more than the DAT, but is it definitely the only deciding factor at this stage? Can degree bonus points make up for a weak interview?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As only the RC + GPA is listed as the cutoff in the letter, have they tallied the AA score yet? i.e. Is the interview the only thing left to distinguish the more or less equal candidates in the interview pool, or can we still rank high enough with a good AA to get in if we don't interview well? I know the interview is worth more than the DAT, but is it definitely the only deciding factor at this stage? Can degree bonus points make up for a weak interview?

The Admissions Committee meets in late June each year to make entrance decisions. The decision is based on the combination of the 3 aspects of the admissions process: university academics, DAT (Academic Average) and interview scores. The calculation which creates the ranked offer list is weighted as follows: 60% academics, 15% DAT and 25% interview.

Graduated bonus points are added into the equation for active files at the end of the application cycle providing we have confirmation of honours, master’s or PhD degree completion. The bonus points do not compensate for non-competitive grades.

Results of the meeting are made known by July 1. Wait list information is confidential.

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/admissions_yr1.html

25 seconds.

I have read the admissions page before of course... What I'm wondering is if all the interview invites are ALL more or less equally competitive with GPA and AA totalled thus far, and if it's just the interview left to make or break us... Any thoughts?

I have read the admissions page before of course... What I'm wondering is if all the interview invites are ALL more or less equally competitive with GPA and AA totalled thus far, and if it's just the interview left to make or break us... Any thoughts?

Are you kidding me?

If I have a higher DAT and higher GPA than you, then you have a disadvantage. And even if you do slightly better than me during the interview, I am more likely to get an acceptance than you because of my higher DAT and GPA. This is the information you must infer DIRECTLY from what I posted and what you claimed to have read...

I don't understand what type of esoteric knowledge you want from us... And what kind of answers are you expecting? Oh I know, I'll tell you this: Yes, you get 7 points for being in a Phm program and it will compensate for your poor undergraduate GPA. and don't worry about your low RC score, the AA is worth 32 times more than the RC score.. You have a better chance than any of us.

There's really no need to get worked up or to state the obvious. My question simply wasn't communicated clearly, which is precisely why I'm worried about the interview. Since I don't know your GPA or your AA or anyone else's in the interview pool, I don't know if I have any advantage or disadvantage going into the interview.

If I am understanding you correctly then this is the answer. Only our marks and RC are looked at pre-interview in order to assign interviews. After the interview, they look at marks, AA, and the interview. So no, they have not already looked at your AA according to my understanding. So if your RC wasn't too high, but you killed bio and chem...then your AA would really help you if you did get an interview (whereas your RC may have hurt you if it was low pre-interview)

Wow, you can be top of the rank for all I care, but if you are an ass or perform poorly on the interview, you will get rejected.

Are you kidding me?

If I have a higher DAT and higher GPA than you, then you have a disadvantage. And even if you do slightly better than me during the interview, I am more likely to get an acceptance than you because of my higher DAT and GPA. This is the information you must infer DIRECTLY from what I posted and what you claimed to have read...

I don't understand what type of esoteric knowledge you want from us... And what kind of answers are you expecting? Oh I know, I'll tell you this: Yes, you get 7 points for being in a Phm program and it will compensate for your poor undergraduate GPA. and don't worry about your low RC score, the AA is worth 32 times more than the RC score.. You have a better chance than any of us.

________

Ford corsair specifications

Hi all,

Just received my interview email today. 2nd year applying so hopefully all goes well this time! Congrats to all the interviewees.

A few things:

I wrote the physiology challenge exam last year and I definitely recommend to those writing the test to take the time to register for your interview early to ensure that you aren't taking the test and conducting the interview on the same day. Last year it was on a Saturday, so make sure you find a Sunday slot for your interview.

Also Contach, you mentioned that Phm program gets 7 extra points? Didn't quite understand that...

And finally, does anyone know about any dentistry interview prep courses?

I guess only some people have to write it. It's probably based on your science background.

It is a physiology challenge test. Apparently Western doesn't accept the whole year of Anatomy that I took at McMaster. After looking at the composition of the challenge test, it is all of the things I did in second year anatomy. I am pretty upset that I have to learn a whole year of anatomy again for no apparent reason. Like I said, it is literally the same material and I feel like I already proved myself.

hey wein!

but the email i got from western said that specified that my interview time is set for saturday at 10:15 am... so where can i reschedule?

both western and sask scheduled saturday interviews

OHhh.. wow.. that must be an IP / OOP difference. for us IP students, they are allowing us to sign up for our own interview time starting March 12th at 7am... Maybe if you phone them tomorrow, you can get first dibs on the day you want since you ahve another interview...

Oh I didn't realize that Western had assigned you an interview. That's strange. They sent us all instructions in the email informing us of a login/password to the site to make our own desired reservation.

I'll be interviewing at Sask as well on the saturday but that time was forced onto me too. Yeah maybe call in and see tmw before they release the website signup on Thursday so they can slot you in before other times fill up.

Oh I didn't realize that Western had assigned you an interview. That's strange. They sent us all instructions in the email informing us of a login/password to the site to make our own desired reservation.

OHhh.. wow.. that must be an IP / OOP difference. for us IP students, they are allowing us to sign up for our own interview time starting March 12th at 7am... Maybe if you phone them tomorrow, you can get first dibs on the day you want since you ahve another interview...

Thanks guys!!! :) This helps a lot

Archived