Premed 101 Forums

Any mothers in Med School?

Please let me know if its feasible to be a mother and med student at the same time. My son is 3 years old, goes to daycare, and a lot of my friends are telling me not to go to med school because its too heavy a workload to handle with a kid. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Please let me know if its feasible to be a mother and med student at the same time. My son is 3 years old, goes to daycare, and a lot of my friends are telling me not to go to med school because its too heavy a workload to handle with a kid. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

There are at least 4 parents, some of them single parents in my class (that I know of, anyway).

It is definitely doable, but NOT easy. You will need to manage your time properly so if you are organized enough, go for it!

One thing, though, I would say make sure you have some support at home. Once you get to clerkship the task will become more difficult since your hours will become much longer and unpredictable. (i.e. overnight call, weekends etc)

That said, if med school is your dream then go for it! A few obstacles along the way never hurt anybody.

The hardest thing is having less time to spend with your children. Some people seem to be fine with having their children know their nannies etc better than them - not I. This is something you have to really explore for yourself and see if you would be able to handle the emotional challenges that come with being in a system (ie. medical education) that was certainly NOT designed with parents in mind.

There were a couple of people with children in my class when we started and many now have them. I think that you need an excellent support network so that you have time to study in first and second year, and time to be on call or later than a normal daycare pick up time in 3rd and 4th year. In 4th year, you also will want to do electives. Some parents I know chose to do their electives all in the city they did med school in so that they didn't need to travel and decided it was more important to be able to stay in that city for residency than to pick a particular specialty, which depending on your personality and goals in medicine may or may not work for you. Your child would be school-aged by clerkship and isn't as portable as a 9 month old say. That's also important to consider in which schools you apply to as some schools send their students away for rotations in 3rd year for 6 weeks or more at a time. Sometimes they are able to make accommodations for this for students with children, but I think it would be something to consider and discuss with schools you would be applying to. Having a child certainly adds a challenge to medical school, but it also provides an opportunity for having balance.

Hey there,

I am a Mom of 2 kiddies (3 & 5 years old) Don't listen to your friends...Med school is totally doable. You need to have support for the crazy times (such as exam time) but as long as you have a supportive hubby or parents etc. you will be fine. As for not seeing your kids..I see my children more now than when I was working. My job involved ALOT of travel which took me away for days at a time. Now I am finished school by 4PM at the latest and then I don't even try to study until after they are in bed at 8PM. They are at daycare all day which is the same as if I was still working.

So my advice is that if you want it (as it is alot of work, kids or no kids) and you have the support network....GO for it!!!!!

Good luck and let me know if you need any other info.

I have a 15 month old and am in first year. I echo what most people have said - it is most certainly doable. I'm at U of T which I think is heavier in terms of class time but I still think there is plenty of time to spend with my son. It helps to have a good support network. Also, depending on the school you may be a rare breed (I'm the only mom in my year). It can be hard to maintain a social life and to connect at times but the balance of family and school life is totally worth it. If medicine is really what you want, you won't regret it!

Good luck!

Archived