Premed 101 Forums

U of S awsome match statatics!

Just out of curiosity I was looking around at the match stats on the carms website and noticed that U of S had the highest 1st choice match stats in the country (96.7%), followed closely by UofW (96.2%) in '08.

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2008R1_MatchResults/13Canadian%20Graduates%20Match%20Results%20by%20Choice%20Discipline%20and%20Medical%20School_en.pdf

I always get bugged by people for staying in SK after highschool, and than applying to a SK medical school when all of the "smarter" classmates went to more "prestigious" schools. But I think this is just one of the many things that reaffirm that going to school in a smaller province does not mean you are getting any worse of an education.

I'm glad I stayed in SK and I am proud that our school can hold its own against the bigger provinces! :)

Any opinions on why you think SK grads match so well?

because they stay in SK

Overall, yes, but if you remove the french schools (outliers on the overall average due to the language issue), I still think they rate quite highly above most other english speaking schools...

As a sidenote, I am not saying that SK is any better/worse than any other school out-there...I realize that it kind of came off as if that was what I was implying which isn't the case

No matter how you try to justify your comment, it is clearly classless. People stay in SK for different reasons, yet to essentially discount the good match results of SK grads simply because a proportion stay, demonstrates that you have significant bias against SK.

Naturally, programs at the U of S like to take U of S grads, because they won't have to deal with grads coming from larger centres that ***** and moan because somehow, matching to U of S is like getting sent out to some agricultural backwater, or to the Gulag, or worse. You might deny it, but there were countless times during the CaRMS tour, where both myself and many others in my class, had to put up with classless comments about the U of S.

Yet, when grads do go to other locations, they will often match to competitive specialties in competitive locations as well. Even though stats for my year aren't out yet on CaRMS, there were a high proportion of people from my class matching 1st choice discipline and location.

Claim what you will. Clearly, you wouldn't want to be in SK. And with your condescending attitude, we probably wouldn't want you either.

Star3124 asked:

Any opinions on why you think SK grads match so well?

You said:

because they stay in SK

You are dismissing the high match rates of SK grads by simplifying it to that reason. It is not too hard to figure out what you think of the U of S.

Never once said anything negative about SK at all...check your insecurities at the door.

What insecurities would I have? I am finished training and matched to a residency position. You are a pre-med more concerned with how much a doctor makes?

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=324340#post324340

I come on here to help encourage people to choose the U of S for medical school, after having been a lurker on here during my application process 4 years ago.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32719

Instead, there's you spilling condescension onto this forum, despite knowing nothing of the entire process of matching. Oh wait, you can make snide one liners. I am bested... Clearly, if I couldn't match to U of S, I wouldn't have matched at all. Oh wait... I matched first choice discipline and location outside of SK, as did the majority of my classmates, who matched outside SK.

I think match rate differences may be more due to social/geographical issues rather then any educational issues.

Matching to a different school from your MD institution is less of a deal in Ontario. Toronto, Mac and Western are all clustered fairly close to each other. Queen's and Ottawa are also close to each other. If you grew up in say Ottawa, all your family is there etc. it's not a big deal to match to Queen's because you can easily go visit those you love. People may be less concerned about moving away from your MD school since you don't develop as much loss of family contact etc.

If you are in schools like Sk, MUN, Dal, UBC etc. than matching to another school essentially means moving out of province. You need to take long drives, or fly every time you want to see your family. Much less desirable for many people.

This could account for some of the differences in %'s staying at their MD school for residency.

I suppose you'd like a pat on the back for being on the forum for 4 years. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Secondly, not a pre-med, but next time, make sure you pat yourself a little harder on the back for being a med

Lastly, I find it quite laughable that you took the time to search up posts I've made....you must have a TON to do in Sask..... (Just to spell it out for you- I added the last part in because you seem so convinced that I have some sort of Vendetta against Sask., which is very far from the case....take a look at the stats, they speak for themselves....I've also been on the record saying "you will get a great education anywhere" etc. etc.)

Grats on being in med in the centre of the universe then... I don't need or want adulation from anyone on this board, least of all from a pompous, sarcastic, jerk-off like you. Rather than address the original conclusion that you stated brilliantly in your first one-liner, you have chosen to make a straw man out of me -> I am not doing anything but inflating the size of my epeen, etc etc.

Grats on being the first added to the ignore list too!

And actual congratulations for NLengr for responding with something useful. Geographical differences definitely play a role. If as the original poster wanted, those stats by themselves are incomplete. Frankly looking at only statistics often does not allow for an adequate representation of how "well" a certain school matches. There are also statistics on at what choices on the rank order list, the grads match at.

A lot of people too seem to think that the more ultra-competitive specialties that grads match to, that this seems to reflect to highly on a med school. Personally, I don't think that's the case, as there still is a demand for generalists in all locations. So you might as well look at too, the statistics for how many from a particular school end up in fields such as Family Medicine. If only they distinguished in the stats, the numbers that choose urban vs rural, as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Star3124 asked:

You said:

You are dismissing the high match rates of SK grads by simplifying it to that reason. It is not too hard to figure out what you think of the U of S.

What insecurities would I have? I am finished training and matched to a residency position. You are a pre-med more concerned with how much a doctor makes?

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=324340#post324340

I come on here to help encourage people to choose the U of S for medical school, after having been a lurker on here during my application process 4 years ago.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32719

Instead, there's you spilling condescension onto this forum, despite knowing nothing of the entire process of matching. Oh wait, you can make snide one liners. I am bested... Clearly, if I couldn't match to U of S, I wouldn't have matched at all. Oh wait... I matched first choice discipline and location outside of SK, as did the majority of my classmates, who matched outside SK.

Wow, I didn't mean to make this subject into something so...aggressive.

Overall though I think every school and program has its own strengths, weaknesses and focus, as already mentioned stats alone is not a clear indication of any of these.

So I suppose in the end, stats aren't a huge factor when people consider where to apply.

Perhaps the high match rate is due to the smaller amount of grads coming out of Sk? (68 before, and now 83 seats compared to larger schools) Firstly, there are fewer chances of someone not getting matched (numerically I'm not sure if this would make a difference). Secondly, smaller academic settings allow for more personal attention and more chances to gain experiences in the hospitals since there are less students to attend to. That extra experience may allow SK grads to develop more skills that favor them during the matching process.

Archived