Premed 101 Forums

Would it be better to take science at an easier school instead of Mac?

IMHO, I wouldn't go to WLU for science if they paid me for science - you might as well goto UW if you want to stay in Waterloo. The faculty of science at WLU is all in one building - meaning that you will have very few courses to choose from. In the end, its like a high school, you don't really get to pick and choose your profs, so you may get stuck with a few you don't like.

I'd say goto Mac if that's your only other option. Have you thought about health sci there? From what I've heard on other pages, its hard to get into but it pays off in the GPA dept. Honestly though, you won't be getting a bad education from any Canadian school and your GPA is what you make of it.

Best of luck.

IMHO, I wouldn't go to WLU for science if they paid me for science - you might as well goto UW if you want to stay in Waterloo. The faculty of science at WLU is all in one building - meaning that you will have very few courses to choose from. In the end, its like a high school, you don't really get to pick and choose your profs, so you may get stuck with a few you don't like.

I'd say goto Mac if that's your only other option. Have you thought about health sci there? From what I've heard on other pages, its hard to get into but it pays off in the GPA dept. Honestly though, you won't be getting a bad education from any Canadian school and your GPA is what you make of it.

Best of luck.

I am a Health Sci at Mac, and the program is NOT easy. Yes there are courses that are "byrd courses", like there are in every program, but we still take chem, orgo, physics etc. to fulfill prereqs for professional school...all of which are very hard and which are the same courses the life scis take. The average to get into our program is 92+, which means people probably get high GPAs in Health Sci because they are bright. Keep this in mind! Many first years in our program this year came in with over 98%. Also, when multiple programs are enrolled in the same courses (like chem, physics, orgo, anatomy etc.), the health sci average is usually 2 to 3 grade points higher than the life scis or nurses for example. So the people in the program are very hard workers...they knew what it took to get high marks before university and they carry those good habits into their undergrad for the most part. This might be why Health Sci "pays off in the GPA dept"

Jacques Cartier, I know you probably didn't mean any harm with your post, but I just thought I would clear that up

Archived