Premed 101 Forums

Looking for feedback on my plan to go from Cop to Doc

Guest BCmedic

Guest BCmedic

I'm hoping to receive some suggestions or feedback on my plan for med school. Whether you want to offer advice, personal experience, or simply point out something that may become an issue in the future, please feel free to respond. I don't know any people in my line of work who have similar aspirations, so any help would be very much appreciated.

The coles-notes version of my life

- I'm 22 years old

- Army reserve for 3 years (still currently in)

- Paramedic for 1.5 years (still employed by BC Ambulance. I'm on educational leave)

- Police officer for 6 months

Being a cop had always been dream of mine. I love the job and have a lot of fun at work, unfortunately, my experience as a paramedic left me with a burning desire to pursue a career in medicine.

I've come up with a plan to complete all the prerequisites for med school in college on a part time basis. If I finish the prereqs with an competitive GPA, I'll take that as a sign med school is a serious possibility.

If I've maintained a competitive GPA for the prereqs I'll leave the police, attend 3-4 full semesters at university, then apply to med school with 90 credits. If I'm turned down, I'll finish my degree and reapply. If I'm turned down yet again....well I'll think about that if it comes up.

Here is what I have planned for college.

SUMMER 09 - DVST 0410

FALL 09 - CHEM 1104 + ENG 1130

WINTER 09 - DVST 0411 + BIO 1210 (already completed 1110)

SUMMER 10 - DVST 0412

FALL 10 - CHEM 1108 + ENG 1102

WINTER 10 - CHEM 1110

SUMMER 11 - CHEM 1210

FALL 11 - CHEM 2321

WINTER 11 - CHEM 2421 + apply UBC

SUMMER 12 - BIOCHEM? MCAT?

FALL 12 - Attend UBC full time

(The DVST courses are there to upgrade my math to a grade 12 level)

It sounds like you will have an interesting and unique background applying to medical school. Your plan sounds good to me, but make sure you take your classes at an accredited university...I think the ones like Kwantlen, UFV, SFU etc. For whatever reason I thought I heard that some college classes (Langara, VCC?) weren't acceptable as pre-reqs. Look into that more to be sure. Maybe somebody on here knows.

The road is long and hard. I got rejected pre-interview this year from UBC. You have to be really dedicated to suck it up and keep trying. It's not a guarantee so it's good you enjoy being a cop!

Guest BCmedic

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the heads up on the accreditation.

These will all be taken at Douglas College. I checked with the BC Transfer guide and found that all the prereq courses will be accepted by UBC with the exception of CHEM 1104, 1108 and the DVST stuff. 1104 and 1108 are introductory chem courses I need to take before I can even start 1110. The only prereq that isn't offered is Biochem which will have to be done at UBC.

Good luck with your next application!

BCmedic,

I don't know much about the UBC med admissions process, but the best advice I can suggest is read their med admissions website every application cycle. Then, you'll know from year to year what their expectations are and that you are hitting them.

Good luck!

H :)

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the heads up on the accreditation.

These will all be taken at Douglas College. I checked with the BC Transfer guide and found that all the prereq courses will be accepted by UBC with the exception of CHEM 1104, 1108 and the DVST stuff. 1104 and 1108 are introductory chem courses I need to take before I can even start 1110. The only prereq that isn't offered is Biochem which will have to be done at UBC.

Good luck with your next application!

Make sure to check with the UBC med school admissions office that they'll accept these college courses as pre-reqs (if you haven't already). I know that the BC college to university system is a little bit different than out East, but I'd check to make sure so you don't have to take the courses again in uni.

Best wishes!

I think you have a good shot at getting in provided your GPA is good.

I think you biggest asset is that you have a different background and diverse experiences compared to a lot of other applicants. These will set you apart. Just make sure to highlight your experiences and why they lead you to medicine when you apply.

Good Luck!

Make sure your credits are all good. Make sure your GPA is high enough.

But also start thinking of ways you can prove you're committed to medicine. You've had three careers in three years, and while it does show a diverse background, it also might show a little non-commitment. Now, I don't believe that's true -- 3 years in the army is a strong commitment. But jumping from paramedic to cop to doctor over the span of two years might be suspect to someone on an adcomm. Just start thinking of the answer to that question now.

Guest BCmedic

But also start thinking of ways you can prove you're committed to medicine. You've had three careers in three years, and while it does show a diverse background, it also might show a little non-commitment. Now, I don't believe that's true -- 3 years in the army is a strong commitment. But jumping from paramedic to cop to doctor over the span of two years might be suspect to someone on an adcomm. Just start thinking of the answer to that question now.

I can see why my employment history would raise a few red flags. I think I'll be able to articulate my reasons in an interview, it's just getting to the interview that worries me.

It sounds like my focus should be on obtaining a competitive prereq GPA, overall GPA, and MCAT. Is there anything I'm leaving out?

I can see why my employment history would raise a few red flags. I think I'll be able to articulate my reasons in an interview, it's just getting to the interview that worries me.

It sounds like my focus should be on obtaining a competitive prereq GPA, overall GPA, and MCAT. Is there anything I'm leaving out?

just make sure the credits also hold up, and verify you don't run into any problems being part time (it looks like those are two college courses per term?). :)

I can see why my employment history would raise a few red flags. I think I'll be able to articulate my reasons in an interview....

Not necessarily. Being a paramedic and cop shows dedication to the service of others, to the public and giving of yourself. So, I would say that you have a consistent approach, motivation and desire throughout. In other words, in good faith, is a matter of 'marketing' yourself or putting the appropriate spin on your background in an honest and sincere manner.

Life is not meant to be easy, we all need to climb mountains only to find that when we reach the peak, there is another higher peak to reach. Life is a journey for us all the key is to have focus, staying power and to enjoin the journey.

Just want to clarify are you planning to do 3-4 semesters of University course just to finish you premed prerequisites and applying without an undergraduate degree? I think you might have much better shot if you apply with a bachelor or can get it before your matriculation. Although many schools don't "require" you to have a bachelor degree, to make yourself as competitive as you can, especially at a respectable school like UBC, I think you might want to consider that option.

Also some schools like UT requires you to finish a minimum 3 years of full time study in undergrad, that is on top of all the course requirements. So taking part-time courses might not allow you to count them as those requirements. I'm not sure if UBC has similar criteria, it might be best to clarify that.

Guest BCmedic

I assume that there wouldn't be any harm applying with 90 credits. I understand it would be a long shot, but if I'm turned down I can simply complete my degree and reapply.

I'll be using my prereq GPA as a sort of 'litmus test' for quitting my job and attempting med school. How high should my prereq GPA be to suggest that moving on to full time university would be worth the risk?

• 3 weeks later...

Not to rain on your parade BC medic, I have been paramedic for 20 yrs with BCAS (f/t 11 years) and I am finally wiatlisted after my 4th attempt. Do not expect a lot of points for a medical job was my experience. I have also been a radiographer (xray tech) for 15 years and worked as a lab assistant in a microbiology dept for 5 years in my early 20's. I had to fight to get points, hopefully I have paved the road a bit for you. Make sure your marks are good is my comment. I was actually told by a admission officeir that being a paramedic for 20years was maybe a neg. as it didn't show I was interested in anything outside of medicine and could I consider quitting and trying McDonald's for a year to show diveristy!!!. (No Joke) I gat up and left the office.

Not to rain on your parade BC medic, I have been paramedic for 20 yrs with BCAS (f/t 11 years) and I am finally wiatlisted after my 4th attempt. Do not expect a lot of points for a medical job was my experience. I have also been a radiographer (xray tech) for 15 years and worked as a lab assistant in a microbiology dept for 5 years in my early 20's. I had to fight to get points, hopefully I have paved the road a bit for you. Make sure your marks are good is my comment. I was actually told by a admission officeir that being a paramedic for 20years was maybe a neg. as it didn't show I was interested in anything outside of medicine and could I consider quitting and trying McDonald's for a year to show diveristy!!!. (No Joke) I gat up and left the office.

Really?! Where was this?

That's ridiculous.

I think my being in EMS played a big role in getting in this year while being rejected the year before. My grades are quite a bit below the U of A admitted average, and my MCAT is about the same, so it had to have been my interview and/or my "personal attributes" (i.e ECs and work history).

Healthcare experience will NOT compensate for bad grades or inadequate MCAT scores, but it WILL be a plus.

This was in BC, and to say I was floored was an understatement. That being said, it paid off in the interview b/c I was able to pull examples from my job. I do feel that it had little impact on being selected for an interview. My marks were lower than most since I worked full time and went to school full time and my EC mark while higher than AC was still only at 20. I was told by this same officer that to get over 20 in EC you needed to be outstanding in something, did I think i could get involved in high level politics? was another of their helpful hints. I thought actually being responsible for extremely sick patients at times would could as exemplatory (?sp) but.....

I was told by this same officer that to get over 20 in EC you needed to be outstanding in something, did I think i could get involved in high level politics? was another of their helpful hints. I thought actually being responsible for extremely sick patients at times would could as exemplatory (?sp) but.....

LOL, that's so absurd. I'm sorry, but being a paramedic is WAY more relevant to being a physician than being a politician is. Maybe it was their awkward way of saying they wanted you to have more leadership experience? But then again, it would probably help if they had a little bit of a clue of how much leadership is involved into managing a 2 AM MVC scene with 30 responders.:rolleyes:

You may have something there about the leadership issue, that year I scored very poorly on the leadership aspect. I must say that it has been a disillustionintg (?sp) experience. I asked a lot of questions prior to reentering university after 15 years in the work force. I just don't want someone else to have the same experience I had, I think that this forum offers a lot of hints and support that I could've benefitted from. And I totally agree about the MVA scenario:)

Archived