Premed 101 Forums

My chances of getting in to any dental school ?

Hi guys,

I've been reading the threads from this site for a long time (it's been really helpful), and I felt it's time for me to move on and post a thread myself

I was just wondering about my chances of getting into any dental school in Canada preferably UBC.

To start with, I came to canada when I was in grade 9 and spent my 4 years of high school in Vancouver (so IP for BC I guess) and attending UWO right now, finishing up my 2nd year.

My first year average was 90+ and I'm expecting a similar average from 2nd year as well. I'm planning to take my first DAT this november (it's sorta risky I know..)

The part I'm worried about is that I just got my landed immigrant status last year and my mother tongue isn't English. I was just wondering if these factors will work against me even if I have sufficient GPA and DAT scores for the application process.

Also, I get bit of an asian accent when I get nervous and will it be a problem during an interview, if I ever get one?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

No as long as you can prove your communications skill during the interview (and don't worry about your accent). Two of my Asian friends got into UBC dental school last year and one of them only got their immigration status a year before. Do well on DAT and keep up with your good school works and you should be fine :)

Hi. Welcome to the forums, and I agree with Kevinkwon that they won't discriminate against you because you have an accent. I feel that for most, an accent and knowing a second language is an endearing quality that people in Canada understand the hardships of communicating in a second language.

But, on the point about you being In Province for UBC... I did the research really quickly because I remember it being 5 years of highschool, and... I think I was correct..

A BC resident is defined as a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant who:

a) Has lived continuously in BC for twenty-four (24) full months immediately prior to the

application deadline; OR

B) Has attended secondary school (grades 8 to 12 inclusive) in British Columbia, or

attended for a minimum of three (3) years and had a permanent home in BC; OR

c) Has attended a university in BC within the last five (5) years for at least two (2) years; OR

d) Was born in BC and attended a minimum of five (5) years of school in BC. The applicant

must have resided in BC for at least one continuous year in the last ten (10) unless the

applicant has been living and working overseas on a work visa, or with the Armed Forces,

having been a resident in BC prior to entering the Armed Forces; OR

e) Has attended residential secondary school (grades 8 to 12 inclusive) in BC, even if

permanent home is in another province; or has been a resident in BC for five (5) years at

any time for any reason and has resided in BC continuously for at least one year in the last

ten (10); OR

f) Is a resident under the same terms from the Yukon, Nunavut or Northwest Territories.

http://www.dentistry.ubc.ca/Education/DMD/BC-ResidencyRequirements-DMD.pdf

From what I understand about your situation (where you did 4 years of highschool in BC), you won't qualify for BC Residency, but it sounds like you will qualify for Ontario Residency (3+ years of Undergraduate Schooling in Ontario qualifies you as this), but try and double-check.

Archived