Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

yes :) The positive spin is your are saving your energy for the fall

If I get into med school this cycle, I am going to have 4 months of pure vacation. Now, I just really really really hope that I manage to hear some good news this time. It will suck if I don't!

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I get into med school this cycle, I am going to have 4 months of pure vacation. Now, I just really really really hope that I manage to hear some good news this time. It will suck if I don't!

You will, don't worry, it's all about the positive visualization

---

Must drive gf and her friend to airport so they can go to Vegas

I wasn't invited :(

And double whammie, gonna be crazy going to Pearson thanks to the G20

Is it normal for people who got into med school to slack off a huge time at work in the summer?

I'm probably the worst example, I gave my 2-weeks notice a couple weeks after deciding where to accept. I'm doing a long-distance hike for all of July and take August off to relax..... = huge slacker.

I'm reading an absolutely fabulous book- River God- rich in ancient Egyptian politics, love, treason, prophecy, war, sex, mastery of arts, scheming and evil, festivals and ancient medicine.........omg - 'tis fabulous

YAY READING WEEK

I'm reading an absolutely fabulous book- River God- rich in ancient Egyptian politics, love, treason, prophecy, war, sex, mastery of arts, scheming and evil, festivals and ancient medicine.........omg - 'tis fabulous

YAY READING WEEK

I'm looking forward to being done the MCAT for that same reason... I have about 3 books I'm in the middle of (and have been for awhile) and another 15ish others that I bought throughout UG that I still haven't had time to start.

Who's the author of River God? I'm always looking for more books:)....

Some of us work our butt off so we can afford said med school.

That's what i did too before getting into med. But after you get in I wonder who can still stay a keener for the summer?

ps: All my friends who got in became huge slackers; you would not put slacker beside their names before they got into med.

That's what i did too before getting into med. But after you get in I wonder who can still stay a keener for the summer?

ps: All my friends who got in became huge slackers; you would not put slacker beside their names before they got into med.

I HAD to work, unfortunately, as I was getting a mortgage (and not telling the banker the whole story about my planning to quit as soon as it was finalized), and with my luck, the bank was taking forever with finalizing it because they had a great promo and, as the result, were swamped with mortgage apps. I didn't close on the condo til July 17th. I had 3 full shifts (12 days work, 20 days total) left at work, but I asked for as much unpaid leave as I could get so I could move, as I was moving cities. Then as soon as I unpacked, I flew to Russia! I got back like a week before orientation started, but unfortunately, I caught a terrible cold back there and felt like crap the entire time. I DEFINITELY needed some R&R after that *summer vacation.* It's a good thing Intro Block at U of A is a joke. I'm only doing "useful" stuff for half the summer, and none of it is med-related in any form (although like anything, I'm sure it's a bit of a resume boost). No research or anything! And the money you make at some crappy summer job isn't worth sacrificing your last 2 summers ever. Just rack up an extra $5000 in loans, you'll pay it back in a month a few years down the road.

To top it off, earning money right before school starts can screw you over for student loans and need-based awards. So if you can get by on some credit and living with parents or whatever, your bottom line might end up almost as good as if you worked your ass off like a fool.

YAY READING WEEK

That sounds like a fabulous book! I'm fascinated by ancient Egypt - and I've visited Egypt twice. I'll have to take a look for that book.

And this is why I can't be an NHL scout. lol.

Haha... well, I agree with you actually... we have a plethora of wingers... and no centre that can win >40% of draws... which is just abysmal. Seguin would have been a much better fit for so many reasons, but hopefully Hall also works out to be a good fit for us. I guess if we have another crappy season, we can always try again drafting #1 next year:rolleyes: lol.

I'm just appalled by the group of people that incited violence today.

I'm impressed by how its been heralded in the media though. Lots of people are disappointed, including many of the other protest groups - who will unfortunately be out-voiced by these idiots.

Another thing to consider - Last time this happened it was the cops starting the violence as provocateurs. This was the case in Montebello and I believe last year in Ottawa as well. Unidentified black-clad rioters in every case.

I'm just appalled by the group of people that incited violence today.

Ugh... I read that on yahoo today and it just frustrates me (and pisses me off) to no end. There's protesting your cause (whatever it may be- it is your right in this country to do so), and then there's just being a d*ckface. Once a protest turns violent, it's no longer a protest. It's a shame that a few ruin and tarnish the whole image of a particular cause by pulling crap like that. I have no idea what they're protesting there (G20 itself, or something more random... you can never tell:rolleyes:) but now their cause will fall on deaf ears because they've lost whatever public sympathy they may have had. I hope that they catch whoever is responsible and make them pay for the damages they've done to the stores, banks, etc. No slap on the wrist. Make them clean it up themselves, rebuild it, pay for the loss of products, etc. Stuff like that should not be tolerated.

There's the democratic right to free speech, but there's also the democratic right to feel safe in your own country. Speech is just that- speech. Once it becomes more than that (ie violence)... you're no longer a protester voicing your cause, you're just some little jerk that no one will listen to. In fact, more people will probably go AGAINST whatever cause it is you are trying to promote by acting violent. So save your cause some grief and bad press and stop acting like a jerk.

The thing is, I don't even think the peaceful protesters have much of a point. Even if they are a bunch of dbags I'd rather have my world leaders talking to each other once and a while rather than doing everything in isolation.

Doesn't have to be in isolation, nor does it have to be this expensive. Skype is free. I do see the benefits of being in the same room together, but the money spent on security is excessive to the point where they should meet somewhere a little less....dramatic.

Skype's beta testing 5-way video conference calls. It's only a matter of time before it develops further. Of course, I think a physical presence in a specific location helps bind decisions more strongly, but once advanced online video conferencing becomes....sufficiently advanced, we'll probably be seeing summits being hosted through the net, and likely more regularly due to the dramatic drop in expense.

I doubt the people who incited the violence had any legitimate concerns. They merely ended up disrupting a well organized peaceful protest and turning downtown to chaos. Luckily, my volunteer shift was changed to Friday, else I would've been stuck there with the TTC shut down...

Skype's beta testing 5-way video conference calls. It's only a matter of time before it develops further. Of course, I think a physical presence in a specific location helps bind decisions more strongly, but once advanced online video conferencing becomes....sufficiently advanced, we'll probably be seeing summits being hosted through the net, and likely more regularly due to the dramatic drop in expense.

I doubt the people who incited the violence had any legitimate concerns. They merely ended up disrupting a well organized peaceful protest and turning downtown to chaos. Luckily, my volunteer shift was changed to Friday, else I would've been stuck there with the TTC shut down...

I've only done 3-way video conferencing (most of the ppl were on my end of the meeting anyways), but I'm sure a few of the leaders could gather together.

Archived