Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
K so I found the ticket. Only mistake I found on it was that when the officer was writing in my driver's license she mistakenly put in a 5 in one spot and wrote in a 4 over it. Shouldn't they cross out the 5 and write a 4 on top, or write up a new ticket? Is that grounds to fight the ticket?

It's a girl cop = you're ****ed. You can't cry. And they'll probably show for court.

K so I found the ticket. Only mistake I found on it was that when the officer was writing in my driver's license she mistakenly put in a 5 in one spot and wrote in a 4 over it. Shouldn't they cross out the 5 and write a 4 on top, or write up a new ticket? Is that grounds to fight the ticket?

I'd say no... unless it's hard to tell which number it really is.

Did she catch you with a laser radar or a photo radar thing? If she caught you with a laser radar machine thingy, you're pretty much SOL. If she caught you with a photo radar gun thingy, you might have a shot... especially if there was a lot of traffic on the road.....

Yes its a girl cop. I tried to flirt but she already seemed like a mother of 2 or something. :rolleyes:

I'd say no... unless it's hard to tell which number it really is.

Did she catch you with a laser radar or a photo radar thing? If she caught you with a laser radar machine thingy, you're pretty much SOL. If she caught you with a photo radar gun thingy, you might have a shot... especially if there was a lot of traffic on the road.....

It was by airplane. I actually looked into how they measure speed through an airplane. Its REALLY ghetto. They have a cop watching cars pass 2 lines set 500m apart on the highway. They time how long it takes and calculate speed like that. It is dead accurate cause I got clocked for exactly the speed I set my cruise control at. But I think thats more fightable than radar/lidar. Hopefully...:confused:

It was by airplane. I actually looked into how they measure speed through an airplane. Its REALLY ghetto. They have a cop watching cars pass 2 lines set 500m apart on the highway. They time how long it takes and calculate speed like that. It is dead accurate cause I got clocked for exactly the speed I set my cruise control at.

1. If one of the lines disappears, then their evidence has disappeared too. :)

2. Their clock may need calibration. :confused:

3. Your cruise control was set at the legal speed limit. :D

Therefore, you win! :P

omg LOL. so i emailed this lady saying i'm a student looking to rent a room in her house. a few emails back n forth, everything's going well... then i ask her to send me the tenancy agreement. she emails back with her phone number, saying she'd like to speak to my parents first to get their permission. excuse me??!! :confused: since when does "i'm a student" = "i'm 16 yrs old"?? :rolleyes:

AHHH the joys of trying to move away from home for the first time in your mid-20's!! :D

Yes its a girl cop. I tried to flirt but she already seemed like a mother of 2 or something. :rolleyes:

It was by airplane. I actually looked into how they measure speed through an airplane. Its REALLY ghetto. They have a cop watching cars pass 2 lines set 500m apart on the highway. They time how long it takes and calculate speed like that. It is dead accurate cause I got clocked for exactly the speed I set my cruise control at. But I think thats more fightable than radar/lidar. Hopefully...:confused:

Were you in Québec?

I've heard of this speed verification method in the news, but I thought it was only a rumor or a discouraging measure and not a real thing.

Yes its a girl cop. I tried to flirt but she already seemed like a mother of 2 or something.

Hmmm... well... a) you need to work on your flirting skills... maybe flash some skin next time?;) hehe and B) Check out on how well people have been able to fight off those kind of tickets... I know they used to have that here in AB, but the took it out several years ago because it was pretty easy to fight apparently (I think.... maybe check it out?). They now just have radar and lidar now. It definitely sounds like it could be more fightable than lidar anyways... not that I condone your speeding of course.......

If nothing else you could try to explain your situation (ie med student, looking for a place, etc... some sob story:p), act repentant, promise you'll "never do it again" and see if they will decrease the demerits anyways... even if you can just get the demerits taken off (and still pay the fine) that would help a lot:)

Were you in Québec?

I've heard of this speed verification method in the news, but I thought it was only a rumor or a discouraging measure and not a real thing.

It was actually in ON. Although I really try not to test QC cops, so maybe its true there too. lol

Hmmm... well... a) you need to work on your flirting skills... maybe flash some skin next time?;) hehe and B) Check out on how well people have been able to fight off those kind of tickets... I know they used to have that here in AB, but the took it out several years ago because it was pretty easy to fight apparently (I think.... maybe check it out?). They now just have radar and lidar now. It definitely sounds like it could be more fightable than lidar anyways... not that I condone your speeding of course.......

If nothing else you could try to explain your situation (ie med student, looking for a place, etc... some sob story:p), act repentant, promise you'll "never do it again" and see if they will decrease the demerits anyways... even if you can just get the demerits taken off (and still pay the fine) that would help a lot:)

Ooor pay someone to go through all that effort for me. :D

Its not the cost of the ticket nor the points I'm worried about. Its the massive hike in insurance that I'll get slapped with for the next 3 to 5 yrs.

:( Yikes. I hope you can successfully fight the ticket.

In other news, I'm very happy to discover that the LCBO now carries a variety of quality German and Belgian beers, including two of my favourites - Erdinger and Leffe. :)

Now I just hope it's the same in Alberta and I'll be able to find some yummy German beers in Edmonton! Living in Munich has spoiled me - Canadian beer just seems to have a horrible aftertaste now, even the quality microbrews I enjoyed before moving to Germany.

even if you can just get the demerits taken off (and still pay the fine) that would help a lot:)

Unfortunately, paying the fine tells the insurance company that you agree you were guilty and so your rates will hike. Demerit points won't really make a difference on the insurance front.

Lmao. Its not a drop in the bucket! Its like a 3grand mistake. That's a lot for a cheap brown man like me (though I'm hood enough to represent black males in the ethnicity thread). And I did learn a lesson: how to evade aircraft speed traps. My last real threat in my quest for speed. :P

Oops, I was never aware that fines for speeding could be so stiff, serious money indeed. :mad: Because you are a student, i.e., poor, is there any point seeking an appointent for free with a lawyer who handles cases like this routinely?

Nah. Thats why tomorrow I'm going to hand off my ticket to a lawyer that will fight it on my behalf. I could fight it myself and hope one of the 2 cops don't show up (the one in the airplane, and the one on the ground) but if they do I'm SOL and I'll wish I forked out the money earlier to have a professional do it.

Lmao. Its not a drop in the bucket! Its like a 3grand mistake. That's a lot for a cheap brown man like me (though I'm hood enough to represent black males in the ethnicity thread). And I did learn a lesson: how to evade aircraft speed traps. My last real threat in my quest for speed. :P

Ouch that is a lot- Good luck!

Nah. Thats why tomorrow I'm going to hand off my ticket to a lawyer that will fight it on my behalf. I could fight it myself and hope one of the 2 cops don't show up (the one in the airplane, and the one on the ground) but if they do I'm SOL and I'll wish I forked out the money earlier to have a professional do it.

I have always wondered how that works - I mean you were speeding, and were caught speeding by reliable witnesses. You would think in theory there isn't really much legally to argue about but obviously it does happen all the time - what do they base the legal challenge on?

The reliable witnesses totaly rely upon the reliability of the equipment they used, being clocks, radar or whatever. Moreover, the reliable witnesses do not always show up in court.

In some jurisdictions, it is not necessary for the police officer to show up. And you have a right to request documentation relating to the log of maintenance and repair of the eqwuipent used, it must be in writing and a certain period before the case is to be heard. Such a request does not occur often and when it comes, it may be ignored my someone sitting at a desk - this alone will get the case dismissed if you are pleading not guilty, being deprived of evidence of the police that they neglected to produce. Benefit of doubt will go tot he defendant. Mt grandother has won more than one case for speeding, once there were many cars on the road, at least o ne other similar to hers, again she won based upon benefit of doubt, at whose car exactly was the radar gun pointed, etc.? Nothing is ever simple, especially that which gives the appearance of being simple, lol. Any confusion will be helpful. It's a game, he/she who is best prepared and/or sets the stage well will win. The actual facts, if proven, are just one element in this dance.

Ah in the UK that's how they do it too--but with cameras. Two cameras a set distance apart recognize your plate. If your average speed is above the limit, you must have been speeding = ticket. But that produces much "harder" evidence than in your case.

IMO, since you were actually speeding (right?) I'd admit guilt outright but fight for a reduced fine, if it's your first offence. I don't know how it works in ON but in BC below a certain threshold and with a clean record it won't affect your premium. If the speeds weren't so high (i.e., 70 in a 50 kmph zone) I would have fought for a warning.

Archived