Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

The first thing that struck me with your question was I don't know how old you are - you could be 21 or 22 if born in 1988 (right?).

That movie recall is pretty impressive - must be amazing at T.P. :)

Lol! Forgot to add I told her my bday is in november... something I told her earlier in the conversation I had with her and she remembered it.

P.S. What is T.P.?

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I was a kid I figured out a trick to figuring out my age in any year after the year 2000...

In 2034 I will be 54 (until my birthday in that year). Do you know how I know?

20+34=54 Easy!

It works for the whole millenium!

I like that trick :)

P.S. My boyfriend told me about a student in his elementary school who had mental disability and could tell you exactly what day of the week your 10th, 20th, or any birthday would fall on. Also, he remembers anyone's day of birth if you told him once. For example, even now, 15 years later, my boyfriend is confident that he would remember his birthday if asked. Pretty cool, isn't it :cool:

I need to ramble. So this will be one of those rambling posts.

Whenever a friend of mine needed help, ANY kind of help, I was ALWAYS there for them. No matter what. No matter in how much shiat I was in or how bad my life was going, I always had the time to listen, give advice if needed or even go out of my way to help someone. I've also done that with people I don't know. Complete strangers. I have helped complete strangers and I continue to do so. I tell them as much as I know and I'm always honest. But honestly, some people are incredibly mean and maybe they don't even realize it. I'm sick and tired of helping people just to get them to kick me down when I'm already down. Or get angry with me because ohmg this time around I couldn't create a miracle to help them. Well, cry me a f%$@%%^@# river! As arrogant as this may sound, I've gotten where I am by working hard. Working my butt off. Every single day. I'm really at the end of my wits right now. And I believe that some people are incredibly vicious, mean and manipulative.

I think I'm in shock at the same time as I'm angry. I'm also very annoyed and I feel like helping only those who help me. This was one major kick in the butt and I don't feel like being treated this way anymore. I think this might be one of those days when I start minding my own business instead of worrying about trying to fix someone else's life. :(

Yeah... this hurts.

I need to ramble. So this will be one of those rambling posts.

Whenever a friend of mine needed help, ANY kind of help, I was ALWAYS there for them. No matter what. No matter in how much shiat I was in or how bad my life was going, I always had the time to listen, give advice if needed or even go out of my way to help someone. I've also done that with people I don't know. Complete strangers. I have helped complete strangers and I continue to do so. I tell them as much as I know and I'm always honest. But honestly, some people are incredibly mean and maybe they don't even realize it. I'm sick and tired of helping people just to get them to kick me down when I'm already down. Or get angry with me because ohmg this time around I couldn't create a miracle to help them. Well, cry me a f%$@%%^@# river! As arrogant as this may sound, I've gotten where I am by working hard. Working my butt off. Every single day. I'm really at the end of my wits right now. And I believe that some people are incredibly vicious, mean and manipulative.

I think I'm in shock at the same time as I'm angry. I'm also very annoyed and I feel like helping only those who help me. This was one major kick in the butt and I don't feel like being treated this way anymore. I think this might be one of those days when I start minding my own business instead of worrying about trying to fix someone else's life. :(

Yeah... this hurts.

*ehugs & hot chocolate with marshmallows*

I know how that feels. And I agree with the 2nd last point in your post. Let the other person worry about their own life and you just take a 'me' day.

Yes, I'm currently studying the alcenes and alcynes (it's in French), and I'm not able to solve the exercices.

You are from Montreal? Awesome! I have a ton of friends there right now going to McGill.

If you have any questions about ochem you should PM me. I am a T.A. for 2nd year Ochem. I don't know if u specifically aren't getting the reactions or the mechanism... But i love to help students so if you would like to send me questions like " what happens when an alcene reacts with ________ " just PM me and I'll get back to you later today. But if you would rather not, then good luck on your final! I often found white boards were my friend when it came to ochem :)

You are from Montreal? Awesome! I have a ton of friends there right now going to McGill.

If you have any questions about ochem you should PM me. I am a T.A. for 2nd year Ochem. I don't know if u specifically aren't getting the reactions or the mechanism... But i love to help students so if you would like to send me questions like " what happens when an alcene reacts with ________ " just PM me and I'll get back to you later today. But if you would rather not, then good luck on your final! I often found white boards were my friend when it came to ochem :)

I would try, becuz it's not easy to be explained something in Chem over the Internet.

*ehugs & hot chocolate with marshmallows*

I know how that feels. And I agree with the 2nd last point in your post. Let the other person worry about their own life and you just take a 'me' day.

Thanks. My problem is that I'm not an egotistical type of person. I'm proud of my accomplishments and if you met me, you'd probably see this through my talk about my work, but I'm by no means an ego fueled person. I can't imagine myself being self-centered. I think it's time for me to zip my mouth about the things that I know. Telling others what I know gets me more into trouble than not giving them anything.

Thanks. My problem is that I'm not an egotistical type of person. I'm proud of my accomplishments and if you met me, you'd probably see this through my talk about my work, but I'm by no means an ego fueled person. I can't imagine myself being self-centered. I think it's time for me to zip my mouth about the things that I know. Telling others what I know gets me more into trouble than not giving them anything.
Well, I can kind of relate. Long personal story that I'm not going to get into here, but the end result was that I spent time trying to help others, since a willingness to help is in my nature. But when I needed a moment to do my own stuff, I got a major backlash from quite a few people that I considered to be my good friends. One person actually said something like "Why bother to help me at all if you're not going to help me all the time?" Anyway, I still help everyone (since I can't just stop caring) but I've had to train myself to not offer help when I know that I just won't be able to manage everything (which, for me, is easier said than done).

Well, I can kind of relate. Long personal story that I'm not going to get into here, but the end result was that I spent time trying to help others, since a willingness to help is in my nature. But when I needed a moment to do my own stuff, I got a major backlash from quite a few people that I considered to be my good friends. One person actually said something like "Why bother to help me at all if you're not going to help me all the time?" Anyway, I still help everyone (since I can't just stop caring) but I've had to train myself to not offer help when I know that I just won't be able to manage everything (which, for me, is easier said than done).

I know exactly what you mean. The worst is when someone starts to rely on you all the time (might as well start sucking my blood). I have a hard time not helping others. It is in my personality. I've met only a couple of people that have been like this towards me (wanting to help but not expecting anything in return). But I've realized that those people are a few in this world and very rare, so nowadays when I meet someone like that, I hold onto them and somehow this has worked for me because my true friends are those people. However, sometimes you just really want to fit in with the rest of the people and sometimes, you fail (like me). I guess I should come to the conclusion that I'm different and that no matter what some people will never understand me or take the time to.

It's funny though how people you've known for a long time are probably least likely to help you out in trouble when you need them. It's usually complete strangers that step up and give you all of the information you need. I don't know what I would have done if one of my colleagues (I guess he became a friend now) didn't sit me down and slapped me with a cold reality of grad school. Not only that, he gave me folders of info on how to wiggle through and we barely knew each other. At the end of it all, I'm thankful I have friends like these whom I can trust and go to when my world seems to be falling apart.

Today I was hurt by a very close friend of mine (or I thought he was close). The reason why he got angry with me is because he doesn't have a job and he wants to find a way to get out of our country and come to USA or Canada and I basically told him that without a degree, there's no chance, but I promised to double check. I guess he was expecting me to pay for his sponsorship to come over here and I'm not willing to jeopardize my citizenship for his stupidity. Either way, he got angry with me and really, there's nothing I could have done. Some people are just blood sucking morons.

^ Sad to hear that. :(

Leechers aren't always obvious until you deny them something. In my experience, few people are that extreme though so cheer up!

You'd be surprised, Leon. You'd be surprised. Actually, today I realized that the ONLY reason why I still have "friends" back home is because I am here. There are maybe 2 people there who are my true, real friends but the rest are only there because they are, along the lines, expecting something from me. None of them really realize that it's not all bread and wine in this country and all of them have false beliefs that somehow we end up getting money from trees. It's always about the money.

Helping people with money is very dangerous and will inevitably lead to resentment and loss of friendship. Advice, emotional and psychological support is the way to go provided the other person is receptive.

Meh, advice is never going to help this individual. I told him to look for a job and to figure something out. All he is doing is complaining. I also advised him not to drop out of school because it would be SO much easier to get to USA if he was a student and then stay there. But no... he didn't listen to me and now he's basically screwed.

OMG the snow is so extreme in mtl right now! I'm in a turbo-charged all wheel drive rally inspired car and I could barely keep in control! Damn mtl roads are sooooo terrible. Made even worse by like 45 degree inclines and tilts and with drivers that don't know the meaning of "space". :rolleyes:

EDIT: As I came in the girl next to my parking spot tried to pull out of the underground. She couldn't make it up the ramp, hit something, came back and parked. I look at her car and see a mangled wheel. FAIL

Archived