Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He HAS to hate his life, lol! I mean come on. If I were him I would. :rolleyes:

And he takes out the hate on...*drumroll*..........us

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, there's definitely an edge about him lol

The registrar is finally active again, just waiting for 1 more mark

Lol yea. And I saw your post before the edit, Prateek, and it's him haha. His reputation is so satanic I'm never going to take anything with him.

When you think everything is failing and everything around you is falling apart, people like my 2 supervisors come to save the day. I think I can very well say that I'm blessed to have these 2 people in my life. Ethics is going to be submitted tonight. I have 3 co-op students, 1 tech person, 1 volunteer, 1 post-doc and 2 supervisors helping with a project. Not only that, I have the most incredible designer ever who can make something out of nothing (quite literally). I imagine something and he just makes it happen.

Wow... what a team and project this is. I'm all ready to start collecting next week.

Aw, it's great when everyone on the team is all for the project. I know a guy who's working on something right now and he was basically getting no support from anyone on the research team. He ended up in a shouting match with his supervisor. Not very professional, but the up side is that he's getting a lot more help on the project now.

Aw, it's great when everyone on the team is all for the project. I know a guy who's working on something right now and he was basically getting no support from anyone on the research team. He ended up in a shouting match with his supervisor. Not very professional, but the up side is that he's getting a lot more help on the project now.

Awww. I know how that feels (in a way). However, if that happened to me, I'd be changing the team immediately. I've learned this the hard way. :)

OMGOMGOMG!!!!! I DELIVERED A BABY BY MYSELF WITHOUT AN ATTENDING. *gasp*

Everything went well :)

YAY! Congrats Renin!

Question 1 that is bothering me today: why would a guy sort of ignore you? He says "hi" in the hallway and smiles and what not... but when I send him an e-mail about a professional matter (since he's a colleague), he never responds. And this is the case with just MY e-mails and inquiries. It's really bugging me because he's a colleague and I don't get it.

Question 2: what the hell should I do about it? Confront him in a nice way? Or just destroy the bridge (I don't feel like doing the latter because he's a colleague). :confused:

1) You would have the most background on this. What reason would there be for him not wanting to help you with the matter you have brought to him? Is he overcommitted? A competitor?

2) If you see him regularly, you could ask about your matter again in person (not necessarily bringing up the issue of the unanswered emails). That way, it will be more difficult for him to escape, and you may get a better sense of the reason for his reluctance to help.

1) You would have the most background on this. What reason would there be for him not wanting to help you with the matter you have brought to him? Is he overcommitted? A competitor?

2) If you see him regularly, you could ask about your matter again in person (not necessarily bringing up the issue of the unanswered emails). That way, it will be more difficult for him to escape, and you may get a better sense of the reason for his reluctance to help.

It's not about him not wanting to help me. Honestly, he's helped me before and I've helped him. It worked both ways. I feel like issue is far deeper than that (but I could be wrong about this as well). Is he overcommitted? Yes, but he is the type of person to always find time for his friends and close colleagues, so I don't see why he wouldn't find time to answer to my e-mail with a simple "Yes" or "No" (because my emails usually require "yes" or "no" answer). He is in my field but different area of it - so he's not competing with me (at least I don't think).

2. True. I see him from time to time but he's usually with other people and I don't want to disturb him. I saw him today but he was with 2 other guys so I didn't bother. I was thinking of hopefully catching him alone some time this week and asking him about it, because I want to be mature about this. I have a feeling though that the issue is far deeper and it's not him in question but someone close to him who is putting their fingers where they don't belong.

It just bugs me. And I catch myself thinking about it often. So that means it is bugging me, so I need to deal with it somehow. I just don't know how to approach it.

Even if it's someone else, him going along with the outside influence has the same effect in practicality. Do you really need his responses? I suppose you could address the issue directly, by saying that you've noticed your emails going unanswered, and that if he is simply too busy to reply, you don't want to bother him anymore, and want to let him know this so he doesn't take your silence as thinking he doesn't want to help, because you value your collegial relationship and are understanding of his busy schedule. This would provide an avenue for him to either apologize and reaffirm his helpfulness, or to admit, yes, he has been busy, but felt too awkward to say no... Who knows, maybe all your emails have been spam filtered out :P

Never ever, ever, ever be the reason your patient gets a referral for a liver transplant, particularly when the attending doesn't know. At least I DID manage to get this patient on a med which *may* save her life, but she's still probably going to die.

What an f-ing disaster today.

Sorry to hear. You probably can't say much more because of confidentiality, but you're not alone (see studies of errors and guilt). Don't forget to take care of yourself - the "second victim."

kruto.gif

Congrats! That's seriously super cool. If you don't mind me asking, how long does a typical delivery take?

:( Depends. Seriously. Labour takes forever. Anywhere from 30 minutes ... to like hours and hours and hours.

Delivery (once there is the urge to push) can be like ... 15 minutes to hours.

Even if it's someone else, him going along with the outside influence has the same effect in practicality. Do you really need his responses? I suppose you could address the issue directly, by saying that you've noticed your emails going unanswered, and that if he is simply too busy to reply, you don't want to bother him anymore, and want to let him know this so he doesn't take your silence as thinking he doesn't want to help, because you value your collegial relationship and are understanding of his busy schedule. This would provide an avenue for him to either apologize and reaffirm his helpfulness, or to admit, yes, he has been busy, but felt too awkward to say no... Who knows, maybe all your emails have been spam filtered out :P

It's his gf. :P (the outsider). You see, what you said would be attacking him. I don't want to attack him. I just want to know the truth (and yes, deep down, I know why, but I want him to tell me this instead of me assuming). Besides, he has told me "no" millions of times, so I wouldn't see a problem in him saying "no" again. I do need his response about this issue because he's on the board of my field and I kind of need this addressed (he's the one communicating with all of the students in Canada and USA).

I don't think my e-mails have been filtered out because my supervisors have no trouble receiving my e-mails and I know he gets them because he responded to 2 of my e-mails before. Unless he put my e-mails on spam. lol.

I think I know the solution: find him when he is alone and ask him politely what the deal is. Either he bull****s his way through (and I would know) or he tells the truth. IMO, he's doing the typical male thing.

I think I know the solution: find him when he is alone and ask him politely what the deal is. Either he bull****s his way through (and I would know) or he tells the truth. IMO, he's doing the typical male thing.

What is the typical male thing??

I work with almost exclusively with men, and I find the best strategy if they don't respond to my emails is to walk into their office and say "hey, I sent you an email. Stop ignoring me, I need an answer!!"

Either way, good luck with this guy, hope it works out and you can move on with your project! :)

Archived