Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm so sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you...keep us updated!

Thanks very much. I will keep you updated. Right now we're just waiting on the MRI results. He's up and awake right now, from what my sister just posted. Poor guy, he was asking for the balloon lady. He's slowly coming back, though he had a seizure on Sunday as well. So it's all still very scary.

I've decided to go and visit her for the long weekend to make sure she's okay, with my bf. That's assuming her bf doesn't have to be flown out to be treated. They both don't have family where they currently live, so I definitely want to be there for them.

Cerena ehugs to your sister, her b/f and to you. Although you don't realize it, you are a rock for your family.

Thanks <3

All that matters to me at this point is that no one panics and we all do the best we can. And if there is bad news, to try my best to keep everyone calm.

Just hoping for the best outcome possible. Still no MRI results.

Sorry to hear that Cerena.. best wishes to him and good vibes to you and your sister!

Thanks, psycho <3

You guys are all so awesome. So much bizarre/horrible stuff has been happening lately, but I really feel grateful that you've been so supportive. It's helped so much <3

Turns out we still haven't met Mithril, and that seems to be upsetting Leap. I guess hking tried to introduce me to you at the BBQ, but I was "busy socializing". Perhaps one day our paths shall cross!

As an aside, I'm strongly leaning towards buying the Master Cardiology vs. the Cardiology III. I'd been advised to stay far away from the electronic steths as I'd look like an *******; however will have the Master Cardio also make me look like a jackass?

Nah, you look enough like a jackass already.

PS: if you want to do internal medicine/cardiology, go with the Card III. I use the bell/diaphragm switch to listen more carefully to murmurs.

So, we got the MRI results. He has a brain tumour :( They are going to do a biopsy ASAP. From what my sister has told me, though, the tumour seems to be located near the skull. The doctors told her that it is operable. Though, she was very tired when I talked to her so it was hard to talk.

My boyfriend and I are leaving tomorrow to drive over there.

So crazy. One day all seemed fine with him. The next day, he has a brain tumour. It's all so crazy how this has happened.

So, we got the MRI results. He has a brain tumour :( They are going to do a biopsy ASAP. From what my sister has told me, though, the tumour seems to be located near the skull. The doctors told her that it is operable. Though, she was very tired when I talked to her so it was hard to talk.

So crazy. One day all seemed fine with him. The next day, he has a brain tumour. It's all so crazy how this has happened.

Focus on it being operable. One day at a time, its going to be a long haul. Ehugs! We are all with you and your extended family.

However bad a brain tumor sounds, operable is good! One of my friends' sister had a tumor the size of a tennis ball removed from her brain I think in 2 or 3 operations. She was having all sorts of problems before, and is now recovering. I agree with f_d, try to take it one day at a time, one step at a time and you guys hang in there.

That really sucks but as others have said its a good thing is operable and if near the skull its probably a much easier operation than it being buried so that is a positive.

The older i get the more concerned of the 'unknown' conditions that scare me, things like tumors that can remain hidden until sh!t hits the fan or undiagnosed heart condition where boom you just die. No warnings, no nothing. F R E A K S me out!

Stay positive :)

So sorry to hear it Cerena. I have no knowledge in this area at all and hope for the best for your sister's bf.

I just cant imagine how he must be feeling.. its intense. As scary as this is for all of you, I think it's important to stay strong and be hopeful cos we all know he probably isn't feeling it right away anyway. You guys are his rock. :)

You guys are all so supportive, it's amazing. It's really helping <3

Just talked to my sister. Her bf of course did not handle the news well. How could you possibly? But that's what we're all here for, to be his rock. And to give support because he's a truly amazing person with lots of people who love him. He's been seizure free for 30 hrs which is a great sign. He's been placed in a nice room with a big screen t.v. :) And he was awake when I called, just said he felt tipsy and had a hard time with his breakfast.

There will be a biopsy today and we're all hoping and praying it's benign. One thing that I'm going to try and do is explain medical terminology to my sister because they are really confused. But that's what sister's are for, to help each other out. They're going through so much. And, I mean I'm not even a medical student, but taking courses in oncology and psych, and doing neurology research helps to know a few things. Like, how to explain how a biopsy is performed and to reassure them it's going to be okay, it's a safe procedure, and no need to worry.

So in a couple of hours my boyfriend and I are going to make the 7 hr drive to see them. I'll likely be taking their cats back home with me since they're not sure when he'll have to be operated on. Her bf was so cute, when I told them I'd take care of the cats he said, "Noo, that's okay. Just bring him here to the hospital. We have room."

We're all rooting for him :) !! He's really young, he's vibrant, otherwise good health. His youth is definitely on his side due to the severity of it all.

You are doing a wonerful job Cerna! :)

Your responsibility is somewhat two pronged. Firstly, you want to keep your sister as strong as possible for her b/f and then, for herself. And your approach of compassionate honesty, keeping her in the loop is so important, thus she can be strong for him. So long as you are kept informed, you can keep her calm and this will have a ripple effect upon him.

Will you take care of me like this when I need help? ;)

I just chimed in to pm101 after a day off and so much has happenned!

Cerena, I cannot imagine the level of frustration and grief you must be dealing with right now. I can only offer my sincerest hope that everthing will turn out all right. You are a strong willed person and I believe that you will come out of this rough patch even stronger. I hope that you,, your family, your sister and especially her boyfriend stay strong and fight this as best you can.

Thanks everyone.

So bizarre, I had my suitcase packed and literally was just about to leave and then I got a phone call from my sister. They have to transported about 5 hrs to have the biopsy performed later today so I won't be able to see them this weekend. Wish I could have seen them though.

Archived