Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

cnb- I like Minion's idea, but could you try diplomatically approaching the person you think it is first? Don't say anything about the legality at first...

"hey, I know there's someone in the complex who smokes in the area outside my windows, and I'm wondering if it's you? I'm just mentioning it because the smell of the smoke really messes with me and makes me feel kind of nauseous, you know? Sorry, I know you've probably been using that area for a while, but I just really can't go anywhere or do anything to escape, that's all." and smile cutely.

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have an interesting dilemma I'm hoping someone could help with (I want a bunch of opinions here because I really don't know what to do)....

So in my apartment building one of my neighbours (I think the one above me, but it doesn't really matter and I don't know FOR SURE) enjoys smoking some illegal stuff (if you know what I mean). Now I personally don't, (and haven't ever) but I don't judge if someone does. The only problem I have is that they do it several times a week (again, not a problem).... but they do it outside. Why is this a problem? Well, even though I have my windows and screen door closed, it still filters into my apartment. Now, my issue with it is that it gives me a HUGE headache (aside from making me want to vomit from the smell). I've tried Febreeze Air Effects, but that only lasts (literally) 30 seconds. I'm burning candles, (a sh!tton) but that isn't helping either. Is there any way I can mask the smell so I don't get a really bad headache every time they light up (which is usually 2-4 times a week)? I mean, I want to contact the resident manager about this because it is an issue for me, but I don't want to be THAT PERSON, you know? I mean, I don't even know for sure who it is- all I know is that it's in my general vicinity.

So... any advice? What should I do?:confused:

I had the same problem with my next door neighbour. I mention it to the landlord (nicely) and the problem is greatly improved. Not all together gone but very much improved.

As a tenant, you are entitled to peaceable enjoyment of the rented premises. This you no longer have. You need to advise the landlord in writing that he needs to do something about it b/c if it continues, he will need to find a new teant and you are now continuously being deprived of peaceable enjoyment of the premises to which you are entitled. It must be in writing. The landlord will react swiftly as it can adverselt affect his ability to rent your apt should you leave. Also, point out exactly what it does to you, e.g., vomiting, headaches.

As a tenant, you are entitled to peaceable enjoyment of the rented premises. This you no longer have. You need to advise the landlord in writing that he needs to do something about it b/c if it continues, he will need to find a new teant and you are now continuously being deprived of peaceable enjoyment of the premises to which you are entitled. It must be in writing. The landlord will react swiftly as it can adverselt affect his ability to rent your apt should you leave. Also, point out exactly what it does to you, e.g., vomiting, headaches.

I can't back out of my rent- I'm locked in for a year. And in all fairness, that's THE ONLY issue I have really (construction gets on my nerves, but I can deal with that). I think I might talk with the resident manager (we can't just post stuff) and she what she thinks/what can be done.

On a much happier note: DONE MED APPS! :D And hopefully for the last time;) 3rd time's a charm, right????

I can't back out of my rent- I'm locked in for a year. And in all fairness, that's THE ONLY issue I have really (construction gets on my nerves, but I can deal with that). I think I might talk with the resident manager (we can't just post stuff) and she what she thinks/what can be done.

On a much happier note: DONE MED APPS! :D And hopefully for the last time;) 3rd time's a charm, right????

The point is that you are not locked in as the landlord is now delinquent in his lawful obligations to you - that is, once you put it in writing. Then, you do have leverage as the landlord will be more interested than you in resolving the problem. It becomes a game of chess if you know how to play the game and make it become the landlord's probem. If you are simply a nice guy, nothing worthwhile will happen. Good luck in your applications! :)

I suck at remembering drug names.

I know what you mean. I'm taking medical terminology and don't need to know the trade names, but do need to know the generic names.

I started making a "drugs book" years ago, and with my st. john ambulance stuff I would write down any new drug in it. Then I would research it. But they're not named by any sort of latin/greek system as far as I know and it makes it difficult.

Why is it that my diabetic cat, who needs his insulin shot in the morning, chooses the once-in-blue-moon time where i am runnimg late to play hide and seek games?

Argh!

Silly bugger! Hah

Probably the same reason you always just miss the subway when you're in a hurry and have to wait for the next one, or hit all the red lights...

I'm a mess.. I'm soooo tired but I keep having the weirdest and stressful dreams where I run away and hide from something/someone so I wake up not rested at all. Happened again last night, and even though I woke up a few times, I'd go back to sleep and right back to the dream :(

I have a lab report, 1/2 of my 2nd socio essay to finish off and then a 3rd one to do.. ugh.

I know what you mean. I'm taking medical terminology and don't need to know the trade names, but do need to know the generic names.

I started making a "drugs book" years ago, and with my st. john ambulance stuff I would write down any new drug in it. Then I would research it. But they're not named by any sort of latin/greek system as far as I know and it makes it difficult.

I have access to a copy of the CPS at work.

It's MASSIVE.

Ethics essay done! 1/4 of my socio essay to finish, hopefully tonight once I've done the 2 weeks of dishes piled up in my kitchen and packed my bags to go home tomorrow :/

Been having problems with my ear for weeks now.. at first it hurt like it was an ear infection but it wasn't.. since then it's been on and off where every time I get even a little congested it feels full and blocked and annoying. Hoping my doc has an idea because she didn't see anything last time.

And I've got the trainer at the school gym worrying when I don't show up for a week lol. And offering his services should I ever need someone to help me with my programs. hehe.. also just bought a TRX suspension trainer, I've been using it for a couple years now and love it, and I got it for much much cheaper through my dryland coach.

And I've got the trainer at the school gym worrying when I don't show up for a week lol. And offering his services should I ever need someone to help me with my programs. hehe.. also just bought a TRX suspension trainer, I've been using it for a couple years now and love it, and I got it for much much cheaper through my dryland coach.

Jealous! :eek: What are you hanging them from? Just a regular chin-up bar?

Jealous! :eek: What are you hanging them from? Just a regular chin-up bar?

At the gym, yeah from any overhead bar or rack. I haven't used it at home yet (and one shoulder is touchy right now), but mine came with the door anchor I can just put between any closed door and the frame so I can use it anywhere :)

Archived