Premed 101 Forums

Quebec Lawyer contemplating Med School

Hello,

Here's the short story about my carreer path: i'm 28 years old lawyer (Quebec bar 2004) very interested in going to Med School... with the intention of becoming a coroner/pathologist. I don't have any sciences prereqs, MCAT or SAT, went directly to College after High School and Cegep. As i'm getting older, I would like to find the fastest track to an M.D.

From my findings, the best bet would be to get into a Premed program (3 years) and then Med (4-5 years), which is quite long. I would do my internship at approx 36 years old! Is there a way to cut the premed?

With my background, I think St Georges would be a good Med School to apply for... what do yout think?

I would like to know if anyone has more or less the same background and concerns? Also, if anyone could recommend me any fast track program to get my M.D.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hi there, what an interesting case :)

How well did you do in school prior to this? Not all schools require prereqs at all, and if you gpa is high enough you can be much closer to applying than you might think.

You probably know, but I should ask - do you know how to convert your percentage grades to a gpa? There is a conversion table you need. If you could determine your gpa by year and overall that would be excellent.

There are striction from going out of country, so it would be better if we can see what is involved in going to a Canadian school prior to looking outside of the country :)

Hello,

Here's the short story about my carreer path: i'm 28 years old lawyer (Quebec bar 2004) very interested in going to Med School... with the intention of becoming a coroner/pathologist. I don't have any sciences prereqs, MCAT or SAT, went directly to College after High School and Cegep. As i'm getting older, I would like to find the fastest track to an M.D.

From my findings, the best bet would be to get into a Premed program (3 years) and then Med (4-5 years), which is quite long. I would do my internship at approx 36 years old! Is there a way to cut the premed?

With my background, I think St Georges would be a good Med School to apply for... what do yout think?

I would like to know if anyone has more or less the same background and concerns? Also, if anyone could recommend me any fast track program to get my M.D.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sorry for the duplication, will delete one of them.

Thanks rmorelan and future_doc for the reply. I actually did ok during my law degree. I had a 3.4 GPA. rmorelan: you think I could bypass the premed years? where?

If not, I understand that I should prioritize doing a premed program in Canada? The only downside is that I missed the deadline for canadian universities (at least in Quebec) and I still have until June 09 for some U.S and Carribean Colleges... any advice?

Check out what is available in US, go for a year (or semester, if you can get into Canadian university for Jan.) and return. BTW, Concordia has an amazing program leading to B.Sc. in Exercise Science - Specialization in Clinical Exercise Rehab. that gives on hands experience with chronic patients at a wellness centre. Also, you could sign up at EMS in Cote St. Luc and once you pass the exams taking a 110 hour crash course, you are a volunteer EMS first responder, so lots of experience there if you are interested.

You went from cegep directly to law. I don't know that there is any way to fast track to achieve your goals. You need your pre-requisites. Why not go for an undergrad degree and hang in Canada for med school? It would also give you the possibility to moonlight as a lawyer. 36 ain't old, you would still have another 40 years or more left to practice! I certainly wish you well in your journey, remember you need to enjoy the trip leading to medicine too.

Why not see academic advisors at Concordia, McGill, U/M etc and see what they recommend. If you remain in Montreal area or Quebec, there are great volunteering opportunities. A family member is doing her articling now and is already considering her next career beyond law! Good luck.

Thanks I will check Concordia program. Ideally, If I can't directly get into a Med School with my background, I would settle for a short program giving me all the prereqs to get into a med school. Ideally a 1year premed would be heaven, still haven't found one. :rolleyes:

As a lawyer, you know how to research something about which you know nothing better than us.:) Why not find a counsellor or professional advisor in academics who really knows what they are talking about? Such an experienced person must exist, even academic advisors at a university may have ideas as your background (except for having a law degree) may not be all that unique.

I would not be hung up with it taking a year or so longer than I would like if I was you, so long as you get the job done well and efficiently.

Thinking outside the box, you could do pre-requisites by taking health science program at cegep (Marianopolis is the toughest to do well at), get fantastic grades and then be accepted into McGill one yr pre med program and directly into medicine. And, as you already attended cegep, perhaps you need not take all the courses cegep would like you to take.

I understand, it is too late for nect year and it is a long haul.

Yeah, i'm trying to avoid that path. Logically, it would be the easiest path, but also the longest path. I'm searching for a counsel who could help me finding the most logic and fastest track. Really can't go back to Cegep, I will feel so old :D

There must a one year, late application premed program somewhere, at least closer from Grenada!

You mentioned you have a 3.4 in Law. THis is respectable together with your life experience. For McMaster, there are "no" prerequisites for entry into their med school. Unfortunately, commencing now, they require MCAT, but only for the VR score, which is not science related. Discuss with Carmen perhaps the advisability of taking MCAT for only the V Section for now and ask what your chances might be for Mac. They have a GPA cut-off of 3.0 which is meaningless as you don't have a prayer at that level, usually a 3.75-3.8 is competitive and they accept the occasional applicant in the 3.6 range and then there is you - 3.4 with quite a story that just might well peak their interest!

You will need MCAT for all med schools in Canada except for: McGill if you get in the pre-med route previously discussed and except for Laval, Sherbrooke and UofM. So, eventually you might need to do the entire MCAT and presumably Carmen would be the best person to advise you what you must do for being competitively successful, while also guiding you how to obtain your pre-requisites in a time sensitve manner.

I wish I was. I am a simple trad student in Montreal following my dreams and will graduate with my B.Sc. next year, when I will appply to Laval, Sherbrooke, U/M, McGill, McMaster, U/T, Queen's, Calgary, Alberta, perhaps to Sask. and UBC. I am a straight A student, focus only on my studies to maintain these marks (over 3.9 GPA/4.30), spend more time doing volunteering that I love than my studies and spend at least 8 hours a week in my extra curriculars. Medicine is my calling, however, there are so many qualified applicants with greater GPA, research, Masters and PhDs, it is really one big lottery. There are more highly qualified applicants than seats available for med school. BTW, you should ace the MMI as they are looking for communication skills, suitable personality, ethical values, ability to concisely show understanding of the scenario/issues presented, to argue both sides of the issue and to come to a conclusion. All attributes of a good lawyer. The key is to be invited for Interviews as with the MMIs that is where we distinguish ourselves beyond GPA/MCAT.

Although I am somewhat younger than you, I am in no rush and would be quite happy to be accepted at age 28 or later, by which time I will have greater life experience. Life expectancy is increasing and I probably will have more than one career. I only involve myself in things I thorougly enjoy, be it studies, outside activities or volunteering and by following this approach, I am a high achiever in all my endeavors. I would make an excellent lawyer, would absolutely hate law school and am not focused upon making money as a priority goal. Most lawyers love the game, make good money and accomplish close to zero in terms of contributing to society - it ain't for me. Lawyers also have an incredibly high divorce rate. That's my story in a few words......

There is a Dr. Carmen Mueller, young Dr. in Toronto, who is a medical school admissions consultant, and from I have seen, she is excellent and cost effective. carmen.mueller@md2be.ca. T:416-802-6465 from http://www.md2be.ca/contact.htm I have not dealt with her but it defintely worth a shot and will save you valuable time.

Interesting that you can get a med school admissions consultant to do your applying research for you...I'm sure there's plenty of business in that field!

Interesting that you can get a med school admissions consultant to do your applying research for you...I'm sure there's plenty of business in that field!

Not sure, but I have seen the occasional good comment about her. For the non-trad, it is one stop shopping I would think and save him much grief. Here he is knocking on the door of us pre-meds where, to a degree, it is the blind leading the blind whereas he needs 'timely and professional advice' that makes sense for his particular circusmstances. Take a glance at her professional credentials and background on the internet.

Not sure, but I have seen the occasional good comment about her. For the non-trad, it is one stop shopping I would think and save him much grief. Here he is knocking on the door of us pre-meds where, to a degree, it is the blind leading the blind whereas he needs 'timely and professional advice' that makes sense for his particular circusmstances. Take a glance at her professional credentials and background on the internet.

I did look at the link you posted and I found it intriguing. If money is no issue, than sure, it's a viable option for a pre-med. However, running at about $100+ per hour seems a bit pricey for that service.

It is a matter of appreciation. Certainly 99% of us will not need or ever contemplating her services. A $100/hr professional fee is cheap, what do plumbers and car repairers charge? For a kid who is at a loss of how to prepare for having a shot at med school (at any level, even in last yr of high school) or for others who consider they need help, provided you or your family can afford the fee, it may be a legitimate way of advancing your prospects by obtaining valuable advice. Of course, she cannot write Personal Essays, etc. but can give valuable comments re drafts, especially having received many offers on her first application to med school and having been on Admissions Committee herself.

It is pricey for me and I could not afford it, but for those who can afford it and need mentoring, why not? We each come to the table as we are, we are not all equal in terms of academics, money and background - but thankfully, there is no discrimination, the MMI is the equalizer and in the end, it is all up to each of us as applicants who take responsibility for our successes and failures.

I should add I personally have a slight problem with charging a large sum of money for pre-med advice. I understand everyone would like to make a living and running a business isn't cheap; yet, there's something just not right about asking 100+ per hour.

I suppose I have a bias as I've been fortunate to benefit from much free advice from other pre-meds and med students on and off this forum. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same in the future. :)

There is a lawyer in my class, who also had to take prereqs before applying. So it can be done...you aren't the only one.

If you have no science prereqs, I am curious...what makes you think you will like pathology and working in a lab? Just make sure you actually like it before you go through all this. Maybe you could try and take a path course or work in a lab a bit if you haven`t already.

You may well have thought about this alot. But just also be sure that medicine is for you and is going to give you whatever it is you think you are missing by practicing law and is worth the sacrifices you will have to make.

Having just finished I can tell you that med school is a long haul and it not what it seems looking in from the outside. I am not saying it is a horrible job. There are obviously alot of opportunity in medicine but these come with sacrifice. And maybe you would be just as happy in law.

There is a lawyer in my class, who also had to take prereqs before applying. So it can be done...you aren't the only one.

Satsuma, maybe by PM you might be able to put him in contact with the lawyer in your class, who might be able to share his experiences leading to getting into medicine. Right now, he is swimming in the ocean and looking for meaningful direction in a timely manner. Remember, in Quebec, you do not need a Bachelors degree to get into law school, excellent grades in Cegep can lead directly to any of the law schools in Quebec. As I understand it, his law degree is his Bachelors degree.

I should add I personally have a slight problem with charging a large sum of money for pre-med advice........there's something just not right about asking 100+ per hour.

I suppose I have a bias as I've been fortunate to benefit from much free advice from other pre-meds and med students on and off this forum. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same in the future. :)

We all benefit from (free) advice in this Forum. And hardly any of us would consider paying for professional advice re getting into med school at $100+ an hour. However, $100/hr is cheap as professional advice goes. And those who can afford and are willing to pay for advice to potentially give them an advanatage or perspective they otherwise might not have, it is their decision. I expect that the Consultancy fee represents a small portion of her income, does not give her a living and it is her way to contribute to advancing the prospects of worthy applicants in this lottery.

Archived