Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Health Science

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/bhsc/graduates.html

Click the each class to see stats on each class in BHSc (since the first graduating class of 2004)

it varies between 40% and 50% for each year (Assuming those who didn't respond did not get in)

But yes, i agree with what you've said, including that #s would drop

Those numbers are actually bigger than my estimate lol... 72 / 123 respondants got in (approx. 60%)... assuming 23 / 51 of those who didn't go into med applied and didn't get in (which i think is a fair estimate... i would think most of the 'employment', 'year off', '5th year', and half of the 'masters' want med, whereas the majority of the others don't), then 72 / 95 applicants got in (approx. 75%)

you defnitely can't assume the non-respondants didn't get in... i guess you are assuming they are embarassed or something, or at least not proud? i dunno, that is a pretty strong assumption to be making... could've just been lazy / didn't care to respond, as i'm sure many people were (as i usually am lol)... that said, i agree with you that the % for non-respondants is likely not 75%.... however, this supports what i said, that significantly more than half of those in the program get into med (and near 70% of those who apply get in)

this thing is cool... do you know if they have them for other programs? now that i think of it, i think i may have gotten an email asking me this question a week or so ago and i deleted it lol.. i would've filled it out, but i have just come to automatically delete any surveys i get from mac

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

since it is very hard to get a health sci to admit the program is 'easier' than most:p ... how about this - i think this is fair to admit: that as compared to any other (science/engineering) programs you have seen/heard of, you guys don't really have to worry about marks to the same degree...(in other words, as long as you do the work, you are very confident that you will do well)?

• 7 months later...

3 Years ago, I was deciding between Guelph biomed (I live in Guelph) and Mac health science. In the end, I chose Guelph simply because I knew the campus and alot of upper year students and I thought that would allow me to succeed (in my first year, I pulled amazing marks and won a prestigous scholarship).

In the end, I made the right decision. The only reason I sometimes think about "what if I chose mac" is the environment of the health science program. Majority of grads go on to medical school and I guess there's a sense of security you get knowing your in a program that is filled with intelligent, future doctors. Sometimes, I get insecure because the vast majority of biomeders at Guelph don't get in.

Ultimately, go where your happy--health science at mac doesn't give you a distinct advantage. Most of the students that go to mac Health science would probably get into medical school if they went to another institute for their undergrad.

3 Years ago, I was deciding between Guelph biomed (I live in Guelph) and Mac health science. In the end, I chose Guelph simply because I knew the campus and alot of upper year students and I thought that would allow me to succeed (in my first year, I pulled amazing marks and won a prestigous scholarship).

In the end, I made the right decision. The only reason I sometimes think about "what if I chose mac" is the environment of the health science program. Majority of grads go on to medical school and I guess there's a sense of security you get knowing your in a program that is filled with intelligent, future doctors. Sometimes, I get insecure because the vast majority of biomeders at Guelph don't get in.

Ultimately, go where your happy--health science at mac doesn't give you a distinct advantage. Most of the students that go to mac Health science would probably get into medical school if they went to another institute for their undergrad.

i dont think its really possible for a single school to so successfully select its undergrad class that they all end up in meds...last i heard...mac health science has a very supportive faculty though im not up to date on this

i dont think its really possible for a single school to so successfully select its undergrad class that they all end up in meds...last i heard...mac health science has a very supportive faculty though im not up to date on this

yeah they prolly do have a very supportive faculty to say the least lol

Both programs have high cutoffs, incredibly smart kids come into both, but hey, U of T decides to give Eng Sci's 2.5's, 0.5's, 1's, have class averages of 65s and the uni just sits back enjoying the fun, while Health Sci's get their 3.9's and 4's. Guess you could say mcMaster actually values their top program more than U of T. Dont give me that BS about transition to university - Id like to bet if Health Sci students even took a step into something like Eng Sci, they wouldnt "transition" well either through first year. To me, it has more to do with U of T's no care attitude for students, versus McMaster's lets get these students into med school.

I'm in engineering too, not at U of T. But my experiences are similar. We have classes where 1/3 of the class fails and the final class average is a fail but no one curves the marks up... (and that 1/3 that failed likely won't progress any further in engineering.)

Getting a 65 in a class with an average of 46 should be rewarded somehow...but no one on the adcom sees this :( (Although some days I think passing is enough of a reward)

No one else to blame but our own poor life choices, I suppose.

Maybe I'm also a little bitter because I was rejected from Mac Health Sci AND Mac Med. My GP jokingly told me "Well, you studied real science, obviously you'd no chance at Mac!"

• 3 months later...

Actually, its quite possible. If you set up an admissions process where only high school students with a >90% average, and the writing skills to stand out from thousands of applicants, are admitted, than a large portion of them are likely to excel in the medical school admissions process.

Archived