Premed 101 Forums

Proportion of OChem q's in current MCATs

dancerdoc

Hey guys,

Just wondering how much OChem has been showing up in recent MCATs...have been hearing different stories but I'm not sure what to believe...

I just want to know how much time I should devote to studying OChem as opposed to Bio.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Just wondering how much OChem has been showing up in recent MCATs...have been hearing different stories but I'm not sure what to believe...

I just want to know how much time I should devote to studying OChem as opposed to Bio.

Thanks!

hmmm, I thought it was about 1/3? I was actually surprised how little of it there was when I took the test last Sept (on the last possible day to take it :))

Guest rpuff

Fairly little. I epic fail at ochem and still got a 14 in BS.. I think I had one passage and a couple discretes. Thank god!!!! It's pretty basic from what I remember most of the info was in the passage and I didn't have to remember some crazy reaction pathway or push lots of electrons around...

Typically 25%, on AAMC practice tests it ranged from 13-18 questions out of 52. Don't ignore it though, as you climb up the scaled scores, it takes fewer and fewer questions to level up to the next scaled score...The difference between a 14 and a 15 is like 1-2 questions, and 13-14 like 2-3 questions. It's the organic section that will be the marginal. Biology has turned into a reading comprehension section, so just use the EK book to brush up on details (assuming you've taken high school and first year bio + physio). Don't neglect organic.

One thing I found is that almost all the Orgo passages tend to revolve around finding out what a certain compound is. As I'm pretty lazy, instead of learning the reactions in the EK book, I've just tried to learn general trends for each functional group.

One thing I've been trying lately is to learn all of the different solubility's of the different functional groups. Out of the three practice tests I've done, there were at least two questions on each dealing with identification via solubility.

Anyways, if anyone has any other suggestions on the Orgo part I'd love to hear them!

Archived