Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD vs. Resident Scientist Program

Doing research in residency allows you to focus on an area related to your clinical specialty, and your research training will be more current when you begin your academic career. However, it can be easier to take time off earlier in one's career, as financial and family commitments often increase in residency - granted there is funding for post-MD research trainees as well.

A physician once told me "It's hard enough to learn all the medicine you need to know during med school, let alone if you throw a PhD in the mix." A PhD expressed similar concerns about the ability to do high quality science while trying to do an MD. It's possible, but you'd better hope to hell you're a superstar.

At least if you do the stuff during residency, you can roll it into the research you are required to do anyway.

Hi Mike,

I would say that if you are fresh out of undergrad or a MSc and are eager to get started in a lab then do an MD/PhD. As a previous user posted, doing research in residency is more likely to be related to your clinical specialty. As for me, I chose MD/PhD because I was interested in basic science and being fresh out of a biochem undergrad it seemed like the right time to get into it. I don't regret my choice, but it was difficult leaving my med school class and then watching them all become residents while I'm going back to meds this year after 5 years in the lab. My PhD has been very rewarding, but it had it's bad moments, so overall you have to patience and persistence to get through it. Financially, you are neither better off or worse doing MD/PhD vs. resident scientist program. With the MD/PhD program you accumulate less debt in medical school, but you have more years until you reach "real" earning potential. With Resident scientist program, you are paid resident salary during your PhD which is far more than what us regular PhD students get---although now there $50,000 competitive CIHR awards that you may be eligible for during your MD/PhD. Good luck with the decision!

Archived