Premed 101 Forums

What did you do the summer before starting med?

Gosh, you guys are making me wonder if I should quit my job earlier than mid-July...I need to give them 30 days' notice, so if I wanted to, I could be out by late June. I was just gonna stay casual afterwards, so that I could pick up a shift or two if I needed cash. I don't work too hard, though, my service is pretty slow, so many days I don't do anything at all, and I get 4 days off in a row, which gives me lots of time for house-hunting and what not...Hmmm, I can't decide.

Yes! Quit!!!

Do it!

You will not regret it, but you may regret not quitting!!

Regret is bad!

I actually found out that I'm better off sticking it out for a bit cuz being employed FT and having a good income (thankfully, I've been picking up lots of OT lately, so my actual income has been almost twice my regular level) would be a big advantage when it comes to getting a mortgage. I have to give them 30 days' notice, so if I'm on the ball, maybe I can do that in the 2nd week of June.

I'm going to try deep-frying an ice cream sandwich tomorrow. In oreo crumbs. Why not?

I'm curious as to how that turned out?lol

I'm not sure if this will be my last summer before med(hopefully it will be), but I'm spending it anxiously waiting! Also working full-time, and exercising a lot(been feeling really sluggish lately).

I work in education with youth that would not deal well with a big change like an instructor leaving while they still have a month of school left; otherwise I would be in the tropics already. 1 more month!!!

I'm reading "How Doctors Think" right now instead of Toronto Notes. It's a compromise.

:D

I'm planning on working until mid-June and then I'm going to Hawaii for 5 weeks! :) Upon return, I'm going to bum around town and spend time at my cabin until classes start. I graduated last May and I've just been working + volunteering since then so I'm more than ready to start school again!

I'd like your thoughts please, especially if you're a medical student (or above):

I had applied for a summer scholarship to do basic science research in the US related to "x" medical speciality.

It will last about 2 months and I doubt it will get published. (I've been published before and the process can take some time). And since I'll be in Hamilton for MS1 (McMaster), I don't think I'll be able to really continue the project and see it through if I can't get it done quickly.

So... if this project doesn't get published, will it be worth my while to still participate in it? Will anyone from faculty to residency program directors look at it favourably? Should I instead use the summer to chill out? I'm hoping that I will have enough time during the year at Mac to invest towards actually getting published and something likely to be more productive.

Any advice please? Thanks.

PS: this project will likely run down to the wire, until August 10th-ish.

I'm planning on working until mid-June and then I'm going to Hawaii for 5 weeks! :) Upon return, I'm going to bum around town and spend time at my cabin until classes start. I graduated last May and I've just been working + volunteering since then so I'm more than ready to start school again!

OMG, is there room in your cabin!?

I'd like your thoughts please, especially if you're a medical student (or above):

I had applied for a summer scholarship to do basic science research in the US related to "x" medical speciality.

It will last about 2 months and I doubt it will get published. (I've been published before and the process can take some time). And since I'll be in Hamilton for MS1 (McMaster), I don't think I'll be able to really continue the project and see it through if I can't get it done quickly.

So... if this project doesn't get published, will it be worth my while to still participate in it? Will anyone from faculty to residency program directors look at it favourably? Should I instead use the summer to chill out? I'm hoping that I will have enough time during the year at Mac to invest towards actually getting published and something likely to be more productive.

Any advice please? Thanks.

PS: this project will likely run down to the wire, until August 10th-ish.

bumping my post. thanks.

Depends what your aims are - are you trying to build ties to that part of the US? Interested in doing research in the future?

From the way you've described it, it's unlikely to have a great impact on your CaRMS application by itself. But I don't know how well-known this scholarship is in the field, how interested you are in applying to this specialty, and how much time you will have at Mac to pursue a project. Also, some faculty prefer those who have related experience when choosing students to work on projects with.

For residency applications, it would be more useful to work with clinical faculty in your field of interest for better mentoring and LORs.

Other than that, I plan to spend a lot of time at the beach and a lot of time in my back yard around the fire pit. I'm also getting my pilot's licence (something I've always wanted to do).

Cool! I've always wanted mine too. I had my first lesson (where I even got to fly the plane wooh) last year..its just a very expensive hobby!

I'm going to seven different countries over a two month period!!! Can't wait to quit working!!;)

Me too! well I'll be in 6 and doing it in a month! I can't wait...right now I work FT for the feds and I cannot wait to leave soon and just travel like I've always wanted to. I'm excited about med school but not enough to start reading yet lol...I know how much pain and suffering I'm in for come fall :P

• 2 weeks later...
hello

I want to know if anyone "read ahead" during the summer before. Like trying to learn some medically related material so the stress wasn't as overwhelming...lol I know I should probably do that as I have been away from sciences for a while now but I probably won't lol.

I think you should just... chill!! I mean common, once you start med, its mostly meds uphill from there, enjoy these last few months of precious post premed just about to start med months!

Archived